Menu

Sleep/Relaxation Techniques for Children?

Help! Dd has the hardest time getting to sleep at night, and she's a light sleeper to boot. Which would be fine, if she didn't need the sleep. But she does! She is super crabby and basically miserable without a good sleep. I've extended her bedtime a bit, and she reads before she goes. She says she's tired, but then she just lays there-thinking.:confused:

So, anyone have any books to suggest, good sleep techniques-whatever.

Thanks!

I sprinkle my son's bed with pure Lavendar Oil, the organic essential oil, not knock-offs, cheap perfumey oils, or imitations.

If I am ambitious, I make a spray of distilled water and the Lavender Oil, but many times I just sprinkle the oil directly on his pillow, his blanket, and his sheets. It has a unusual smells that does take some getting used to not a bad smell, just not that perfumey smell that we think of from all of those chemical products that tout "Lavender". Now, I love the smell, but the first few times, I wasn't sure if I liked it or not.

Anyway, Lavender is a very relaxing oil, and promotes restful sleep.

• No caffiene in the day.... limited sugar in the day
  • Lots of physical exercise
  • No stimulation at bedtime... no tv, books, laughing/giggling (just go to bed in a dark, comfortable room)
  • Very dark room (no night lights or computer screens, etc) (good blinds)
  • A set routine/time of bedtime & wake up (huge for my kids)
  • No daytime naps
  • Back rubs help my nephew (it helps him greatly)
  • caution: Some relaxing oils actually stimulate (lavendar & sandalwood keep my Mom wide awake & are very disturbing)
  • Believe it or not, the old line of a glass of milk at bedtime can be helpful too (unless they can't handle milk)
  • Less time in her room during the day... then room is restful & retreat
  • Conversations (at other times, not bedtime) to be sure she isnt' having some burden or worries that bother her.
  • Prayer

My DD can't sleep if her routine is off or if she wasn't "big-time" active during the day. She tosses, turns, and her mind is going 90 mph over things (silly things, important, doesn't seem to matter). But, if her routine is managed with restrictions on caffeine, and bedtime is maintained... she does much better. She rarely rest well at night if she napped.

Hope something is helpful.

Edited by Dirtroad

Listening to tapes/cds can be helpful, also. I listen to books on tape, preferably something I'm already familiar with, with a reader whose voice I find soothing.

I need something to "distract my brain" so I can go to sleep. Occasionally I listen to music, but usually that doesn't work for me - might work for your dd, though!

Anne

Help! Dd has the hardest time getting to sleep at night, and she's a light sleeper to boot. Which would be fine, if she didn't need the sleep. But she does! She is super crabby and basically miserable without a good sleep. I've extended her bedtime a bit, and she reads before she goes. She says she's tired, but then she just lays there-thinking.:confused:

So, anyone have any books to suggest, good sleep techniques-whatever.

Thanks!

Have you tried one of those guided relaxation CDs? I saw them at Borders the other day. They have a person with a very soothing voice who directs you to tense and then relax each muscle in your body, usually starting with the feet and working your way up. In the background is soothing music or the sound of the ocean.

Or, you might try a CD that has the soothing background sounds, without the talking. They have them at bookstores as well (ocean, stream, fountain, soothing music, etc.). Or, just running a fan in her room for white noise might help.