Menu

ok--so if we can't drink milk...

...what can we drink?

Is the water from our faucets safe? How about the filtered stuff from the fridge? Only bottled? Not bottled?

What juices are safe? Do I have to start squeezing my juice? But then I'd have to make sure the fruit was organic, wouldn't I?

I'm not being snarky, honestly: what is safe to drink??

I'm the person who only drinks milk. According to the other thread, I shouldn't drink more than 2 glasses a day--and some people say I shouldn't drink any at all unless it's straight from the cow.

Goatmilk. :) It has a different composition than cow's. And water, but not from a chlorinated source. Ideally NOT bottled at the bottles leach into the water. Ideally, it would be from a well, to your tap, and into a stainless steel bottle. How's that for complicated?

Argh. Don't think too much or life will become overwhelming. Look at it this way, drinking anything (maybe not coffee or alcohol) is better than dehydrating. I had a rather nasty cordial (sweet stuff, not alcoholic!) habit until I got gestational diabetes. Now I can drink water, but only so much, and watered down juice. I like some herbal/fruit teas. I LOVE fresh coconut water when I have spare cash. I must have been a camel in my last life because I can easily forget to drink anything all day.

Going to get a drink of water now. Thanks for the reminder ;)

Rosie

LOL! I totally understand! I don't know the answer, because it does seem to keep changing! All I know is that bottled water that has been heated (like in the hot car) should not be consumed, because the plastic leaches into the water which is linked to hormonal cancers. Of course next week we may hear that we should only drink heated bottled water ;)

Seriously, we drink juices that have only water and fruit juice listed as ingredients, we have a reverse osmosis filter on our tap, we drink organic milk (milk, vit D are the only ingredients), and tea is always a good thing too. I have a kid with cancer though, so obviously even following a more natural/organic diet does not work well for health either.

Here in Toronto, the water is great straight from the faucet, so that's what we drink. In Atlanta, we had a fridge with filtered water through the door, so we drank that. We don't use much juice, but when we do we either buy not-from-concentrate organic or frozen concentrated organic OJ.

Milk is fine as far as I'm concerned. We buy local organic, but it's mainly for humane animal management. One teen drinks goat milk but not organic because it's just too expensive. To be honest, I take a lot of the milk information/propaganda with a grain of salt. To each his own. The risks of raw milk are too great for me.

I have a kid with cancer though, so obviously even following a more natural/organic diet does not work well for health either.

Now you know you can't blame yourself for that, right?? :mellow: Please don't do that to yourself. I'm hoping you were just being wry.

:grouphug:

Coffee is a diuretic, isn't it? Good for keeping you awake, but not hydrating you.

Rosie

Is that all I have to worry about?? Phew! I can drink a whole pot of Cuban coffee and take a nap. It doesn't keep me up and I drink copious amounts of water during the day. I probably drink a gallon or more!

Coffee is a diuretic, isn't it? Good for keeping you awake, but not hydrating you.

Rosie

Actually, I have read that coffee only has a diuretic effect for those unused to drinking coffee. After the initial diuretic effect, coffee is as hydrating as other beverages. I don't know if it is really true, but I am going with it.

Actually, I have read that coffee only has a diuretic effect for those unused to drinking coffee. After the initial diuretic effect, coffee is as hydrating as other beverages. I don't know if it is really true, but I am going with it.

Yes. Thank you! I think I will go with this too! I have to have something to live for!! hehehehe

I've read the same thing. It absolutely does not dehydrate me--or seem to have a diuretic effect. Sometimes (like this week with PMS) I wish it did...

It doesn't make me jittery either. I do drink plenty of water though.

I must say I realize now I've been sheltered living in the country all my life. After spending a week in Arizona, I now fully understand why people (on city water systems) hate drinking their tap water.

Everywhere we went the water was AWFUL. I wish I could share my lovely well water with you all so you can see how refreshing and good water can taste (or rather NOT taste). I can honestly say our water is better than bottled.

I've read the same thing. It absolutely does not dehydrate me--or seem to have a diuretic effect. Sometimes (like this week with PMS) I wish it did...

It doesn't make me jittery either. I do drink plenty of water though.

I must say I realize now I've been sheltered living in the country all my life. After spending a week in Arizona, I now fully understand why people (on city water systems) hate drinking their tap water.

Everywhere we went the water was AWFUL. I wish I could share my lovely well water with you all so you can see how refreshing and good water can taste (or rather NOT taste). I can honestly say our water is better than bottled.

You're a lucky lady! :) I drink filtered water myself and am used to the taste of it, but I went I went to Austria, I was up in the mountains for 3 weeks and their tap water came straight from the mountain springs there and it was the best water!! So good! I drank so much of it while I was there. They all laughed at me because Europeans don't drink water! and they all thought I was nuts! But in South Florida, you HAVE to drink a lot of water because it's just so hot all the time so I am just used to drinking mostly water all the time.:tongue_smilie: :)

I wish I could drink more coffee- I love it. But I have just had one cup 3 days in a row, and every joint is aching. My body just doesn't like it. Once a week is about it.

I dont believe the whole 8 glasses of water thing. I think you will wash all the minerals out of our body, unless you do a lot of exercise and sweat a lot. Or when its really hot.

I dont think juice is good, either. Too much sugar in the form of fructose- you are better off eating the fruit.

I make kefir smoothies (kefir, berries, banana), sometimes fermented drinks like home made ginger beer or apple cider or grape drink, depending on the season, and I drink one or two glasss of milk a day. Raw full cream milk. Sometimes with a tsp of raw organic cocoa powder in it. And I drink maybe 2 or 3 glasses of water a day. Ocasionally I have a diluted juice.

Oh, and 2 cups of tea in the morning.

Wine or beer. I'm sipping port at the moment.

This is my second alcohol related comment of the evening... must be the port talking. :D

I dont believe the whole 8 glasses of water thing.

Neither do I. I sat at the kitchen table one night a few weeks ago, and managed to drink about a quarter of a cup of water. Cracked open a coconut and downed 600ml and could have polished of dh's as well. Couldn't force any more water down though.

Rosie