Menu

Does an Oceanography course exist?

RhondaM.

Next year I'm going to do Winter Promise Sea and Sky with the Older Learners Guide for both my 7th and 10th graders. It is a science/history course but even with the older learners guide I need more science to make it on level for them. (More history too, but I can find that easily)

I have found an astronomy course (Classical Astronomy: Signs and Seasons) but have not been able to find anything suitable for middle school and up for Oceanography.

I'm looking for something that we can complete in 18 weeks...and something that we will enjoy. Nothing dry. And nothing too, too heavy since we will be doing the experiments in WP. It does not even have to be a text book, it could be living books. I'm also open to using something seperate for each of them.

Thanks.

Check out www.westcoastwords.com -- They have a book called Build Your Own Underwater Robot, and if your kids are at all mechanically inclined you can put together a remotely operated underwater vehicle on which you can put all kinds of stuff (camera, sensors, etc.) and chuck it in the nearest body of water for whatever kind of research you want to do.... :)

I just went to a workshop our science museum hosted about using this in the classroom, and I have to say I've never been more thankful to be a homeschooler! Everyone else there taught in PS and they were all primarily concerned about how to fit it into a super-tight schedule and budget (it's about $80 of materials) and all I could think was how happy I was to have virtually unlimited time at my disposal and at least $80 in my budget!

There's another mom here that has been doing oceanography with her DD, and I know they have covered marine animals and plants, aquatic biomes (surf vs. deep water vs. whatever else...) and something with the Blue Planet DVDs. Her DD is fascinated by that end, where my DS is much more coming from the underwater robot end of things ;)

Sounds like an interesting addition to our study...I'll look into this. Thanks. I'm beginning to wonder if there is a good book for oceanography..I've poured through so many catalogs and cannot find anything. Apologia carries a Zoology book but for younger than I need...and also a Highschool Biology...but we haven't done Biology yet so we can't use it. :sigh:

All of this looks really good...but not quite what I'm looking for. Sea and Sky does come with a LOT of stuff about oceanography...hmmm...maybe I just need to work on something for my oldest at a high school level.

If you think of anything please let me know. Thanks everyone for all your ideas.