Menu

Opinions on Right Start Math

Guest April F

WE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE RIGHT START MATH!

That's my opinion.

;)

My kids have done A and are in B (different places) and they have such an outstanding foundation in math that they amaze me weekly with their math discoveries. RS is worth every penny you spend on it and then some. I have a math whiz and a child who struggles with some learning issues and they both do very well with RS.

Tara

I bought Level A for ds, thinking we'd start using it sometime during his "preK" year, as we wanted to... he kept going back to the box and pulling things out and requested that we start already.

It's so rich. I wish I'd known about it for dd, as it essentially is teaching the way I wanted to teach her, except I pulled together multiple programs to have the same effect and had to try to coordinate them all! In fact, I'm going to have dd 'sit in' with us on some lessons, especially the more geometrical stuff - I am still explaining to her parallel vs. perpendicular, and it's introduced just a few lessons in wtr to Right Start.

Best of all, ds loves it, too. :)

LOVE LOVE LOVE RightStart Math!!! We have been through levels A, B, C, & D.

I wish I had time for all of my kids to be in RS, but I had to move my oldest into Teaching Textbooks. I just couldn't keep up with 3 levels. So I now just have two in RS.

I'm considering it too. I've posted recently about it, but I'm still on the fence. It is pricey. And I'm not convinced it will work for us. I am now thinking of it for my K and 3rd grader. Levels A and D. They placed her at level C, but I'm afraid it will be too much repitition. She's doing multiplication now. Anyway, I have a question. I was thinking of getting the math games set and the transition lessons. We would need those anyway if we go with it. That would give us a chance to try it out without committing to the program for both dd's. Those of you who have used the program - Do you think this would work? Would it give me a clear understanding? Thanks for your input.

DS8 is halfway through Level D, DS6 is just finishing Level B.

They both like the manipulatives and games and for DS8 in particular, it was a blessing that the first 2 levels were light on worksheets. I have liked the rigor applied in understanding the concepts and doing mental math. Both are doing very well with this program and we plan to continue all the way through. The only thing I have done is add in an occasional page of Singapore for additional word problem practice.

Hope that helps!

Those are some of the words I have used when speaking of RS Math. I am not easily impressed and I am very judicious in my praise for curriculum, mind you.

RS has led my dss down a road of depth and reflection in their mathematical thinking.

If you care about standardized testing, it prepares well for that too, primarily because it teaches children to think about solving problems from different perspectives.

Last year when dss took their first state test (California's STAR test, which is the model for most states), one ds received a perfect score on the math section. The score was broken down into subsections and he received perfect scores in all of them, but most importantly, in the section that we had not really covered much. I attribute this to solid thinking skills because he described to me how he figured out ways to solve types of problems he had never even seen before.

Also, the other ds, whom everyone describes as an "artist" and who is not a sequential learner at all, received scores in the high and mid 90s, except that he scored high 80s in the section we had not covered much. Although RS doesn't seem highly structured in its format, it brought alot of structure to that son's approach to math.

I'm pretty busy these days and don't have alot of time to comment on posts, but I believe enough in RS Math to take the time to share my opinion. I've gained so much from these boards that I want to share my confidence in RS for anyone who needs the assurance that it's a great program. HTH

We have used RS for the past five years. I am using it with all of my kids. My oldest is half way through Level E. The lower levels are excellent. I love how they explain the mathematical concepts, it all makes so much sense.

My only disappointment with RS is that there is not alot of time given to long division. I think there is only 2 or 3 lessons given to that. For my dyslexic dd she needs more practise than RS gives, so we are supplementing for that. Other than that, I recommend RS to anyone who will listen. :D

:iagree:

We are also a RightStart math family. My second son just finished up Level B for Kindergarten. I think he learned so much from his older brother (who also used RS) that he was ready to zoom right through it. I'm amazed at how well he can add double-digits (and sometimes triple-digit) numbers in his head.

However, you should know that Level B is mostly addition and they don't really get into subtraction (deeply) until Level C. So when he took a Singapore placement test in the middle of the year, he didn't do well with the subtraction. But, he'll be up to speed next year for sure.

You've received some great feedback already, so I'll just piggyback...

WE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE RIGHT START MATH!

That's my opinion.

;)

...RS is worth every penny you spend on it and then some.

:iagree: You got that right!

...doing very well with this program and we plan to continue all the way through. The only thing I have done is add in an occasional page of Singapore for additional word problem practice.

:thumbup: We are loving RightStart Math so far and I truly foresee us using it as our spine all the way through! That said, we too are supplementing our math program with Singapore, but I already know that nothing can take the place of our RS Math... just complimenting it with workbooks, IYKWIM.

I'm pretty busy these days and don't have alot of time to comment on posts, but I believe enough in RS Math to take the time to share my opinion. I've gained so much from these boards that I want to share my confidence in RS for anyone who needs the assurance that it's a great program.

:thumbup1: Well said, my sentiments exactly!