Menu

What do you supplement Singapore Math with?

My daughter is somewhere in 4a and it just doesn't seem to be sticking. I have come to the conclusion that it is because there is not enough review of things already learned. Things do not transfer into her long term memory very easily. As a result, things that Singapore math touched on briefly, she does not remember by the end of book review.

I have learned the hard way that it is better to just stick to something (curriculum wise) than jump all over trying to find the perfect fit. I settled with Singapore( I grew up there, it makes me a little biased) but it doesn't seem to be working for her. Do I switch? Or is there a supplement out there that make Singapore work better for children like mine?

I think that Extra Practice book is a great way to supplement if the child is having difficulty. Intensive Practice is for a child that understands but it is not enough work in the workbook. So, I would go with Extra Practice problems. Also, the Home Instructor's Guide gives great suggestions.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

If I were in your shoes. First of all I would do the Intensive Practice and Challenging World Problems books, if you aren't already. If you are doing those then I would use Life of Fred or the Key to...books to supplement.

I wouldn't change programs. Singapore is great it the way it presents math, it just sounds like you need more practice, which isn't tough to add.

Heather

I have found the blocks work very well with Singapore and since MUS is a mastery approach, I use MUS before Singapore each summer/early fall, then jump to the Singapore. This way, they are hitting the basics thoroughly with MUS and showing me deep mastery with Singapore.

The other thing I do is Math Games once per week. I bought some Holey Cards and a variety of dice. We use those (my kids love the competition to beat their best and each other.) and it has instilled those rote facts well. We roll the dice (fractions, large numbers, small numbers, 10/12-sided), they add up their points (by addition, multiplication, subtraction, or division) and keep track of their points. After, say 10 rounds, the person with the highest score wins or the lowest, however we decide.

The MUS helped with the ones who weren't as successful with Singapore and the games helped reinforce the ones who were.

I'd encourage the practice and challenging word problems (only after you know she's successful, they are tough).

HTH,

My youngest is dyslexic. She needs continual review, but the way that Singapore teaches is good for her. Adding in Daily Math Practice from Evan-Moor has worked out really well. It covers some topics that aren't in Singapore (like probability and Cartesian coordinate graphing), but I just teach those on the spot when we get to them.

Daily Math Practice reviews everything just frequently enough for her to remember how to do the problems.

My kids are in 3A and B right now. I have them do all the Practice problems in the Textbook, and I find it's helping. Right now we're done with the workbooks, but in a separate notebook they are completing their Textbook assignments, like Practice 2A or Practice 4E.

I got a Calculadder CD-rom and and I'm going to do timed drill work this term.

I'm like you, I'm sticking with Singapore. It works for us, just have to add some stuff in.

I had a similar issue with my dd. The Singapore curriculum advisor personally emailed me several times. Basically, CWP is NOT for a struggling student, so to add word problems use their iExcel books. Extra Practice is great for review since it is topical and Intensive Practice isn't so much for the struggling either, but could work well anyway if she understands , but jsut doesn't remember the concepts. The HIG also gives review suggestions for you to do each lesson.

Well we use MUS, Singapore, and Aleks.

I'm not sure which one is our core curriculum and which are the supplements lol.

I like this combo for my 8 yr old. We just started Aleks math so I dont have an opinion on that one just yet.

For my 6yr old. We use MUS and Saxon. Next year he will use MUS, Singapore and Saxon worksheets if needed for drill.

For this past year using 3A and 3B, I've had my ds use the Flashmaster every day to cement basic multiplication and division facts. Next year I plan do to 4 days of Singapore 4A/4B and then one day of LOF Fractions every week.

I had a similar issue with my dd. The Singapore curriculum advisor personally emailed me several times. Basically, CWP is NOT for a struggling student, so to add word problems use their iExcel books. Extra Practice is great for review since it is topical and Intensive Practice isn't so much for the struggling either, but could work well anyway if she understands , but jsut doesn't remember the concepts. The HIG also gives review suggestions for you to do each lesson.

:iagree:

That's exactly what I said. I am apart of the Singapore yahoo group. They always advise for a struggling student Extra Practice. I found that to be very helpful.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony