Menu

barking dogs.

What can I do about a neighbors dog which barks all the time? I mean all the time when no one is around or when the kids are playing, in the middle of night to early in the morning? Is this disturbing the peace? Should I just tape this then who would I bring it to? any suggestions

Not all who live in the south are Southern. Those d*mn yankees brought their barking dogs. No true southern woman would ever dream of disturbing the peace like that.

Anyway - from 10pm weeknights or 11pm weekends to 6am barking or loud music is not acceptable. Meaning you can call animal control or the sherrif and report this.....it is disturbing the peace as mrscopterdoc said.

Honestly- I would normally say talk to her. But she obviously doesn't care or she wouldn't let it happen. She knows her dog barks all night and doesn't care. I would call the authorities and report it, asking them to not mention which neighbor called - they will talk to her. That way you are not known as "that neighbor" and there is no risk of teenagers throwing eggs at the house.

I can't stand people who neglect their dogs.

When I called Animal Control...they told me I had to get THREE neighbors to write a letter of complaint....GEEZE.

I never did.....and they finally got rid of the dog....certainly it was keeping them up too!

Neighbors can be so unneighborly, LOL!

Tammy

We had this problem last year and I thought it would never end. We live in the county and there are no noise ordinances. The offending dog's owners refused to do anything about it. We even had to knock on their door at 2 am but they refused to fix the problems, "Dogs bark" was their answer.

We had to create layers of sound. First we recauked and resealed any windows. That didnt help much honestly. Then we used wave makers. A dog's bark is spread over a wide spectrum of sound. That is why you need multiple sound types. We found a fan plus the sound of water very helpful. In fact we used a waterfall from Lowe's - the type that has water flowing down and finally over rocks. That helped the best. But, the water resevoir developed mold which was not good. For our dd's rooms, we ran a hepa filter, a fan and a wave machine (Pacific Surf). For our room, we ran an oscillating fan, the bathroom fan, the water fall, and a sound machine.

Those neighbors finally moved. But, we have a lab next door that does bark at night but not constantly and not nearly so annoying. We have found that an occilating fan will cover that one up just fine for our room. The dc have the wave machine only and they are fine.

Sad when this happens and you have my sympathies.

No ideas, but I can sympathize. Our backyard neighbors have dogs that bark throughout the day, and especially when my boys are playing outback. We've checked into city code, and they aren't breaking any codes. Even if they were, I don't think anything would happen. The dogs happen to belong to the City Manager, and I don't expect he'll move anytime soon...

My next door neighbor has 8 dogs that are indoor/outdoor dogs of all different breeds. They can go in and out by themselves through a doggy door and both owners work all day. We NEVER saw them when we looked at this house many times. So, I was very disturbed when they came out the first time. They bark at us and won't stop until we go in. And we have a pool, so it's been a huge problem. They are incredibly loud and they only bark like that when the owners are away. So, my husband and I started out trying to be neighborly and we talked to them. We also heard from other neighbors and found out that it's been a long time issue with the other neighbors. The first time we talked to them, we were very kind and they said they would keep the dogs in when they aren't home. It was better for a few weeks and then it would start all over again. After leaving them several messages on their answering machine letting them hear their dogs, we started calling Animal Control. AC here would be sympathetic and say that we shouldn't be hearing it (it is illegal), but the underpaid workers kept quitting and we would have to start all over with the process (the dog owners should have been fined after repeat offences). It was very frustrating and time consuming! The last resort that worked was calling the police. The police man was shocked and said that he if has to come back, he will fine them. That helped for a time as well. It's like they need a reminder every now and then, but I honestly think they try. I'm also trying really hard to be patient. I have since bought my own dog, and that has helped my tolerance level! :0) I do not let him bark and he is never left outside alone for longer than a few minutes. But he is a dog and will bark occasionally.

We hope to have a privacy fence up in a couple of months and we pray that helps some. We have a partial privacy fence near our pool and then chain link the rest of the way. The dogs go to the chain link where they can see and bark at us. It going to cost more money than we wanted to spend but who can put a price on peace?

I thought about getting that barking dog alarm thing but when I asked about it here, most said that they didn't work. I was afraid of wasting money on it. There are some sort of collars that the dog owner can buy that will give a shock to a dog that barks.

You may want to invest in sound machines for your bedrooms, so they don't wake you up at night. That's the worst!

Good luck!

We had a bark collar that emited a noise that I assume, hurt their ears and trained OUR dog not to bark. Something like that might work if you could put it somewhere near their yard. It would squeal every time the dogs barked adn maybe YOU could train them (not that you should have to, but we're talking survival here...!)

We also have an air filter in our bedroom that runs at night. We don't hear much of anything outside. (That is because we live with the expressway in our backyard....the dogs are long gone!)

Our neighbor had dogs that barked incessantly adn THEY are long gone. We used the collar only to train our own dog.