Menu

Remember "April's Mom?"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526037,00.html

A blogger who wrote of deciding to give birth to a terminally ill baby, attracting a following of thousands of supporters online, admits now that the entire story was made up.

Blog:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:OlsuVYmn060J:littleoneapril.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.html+site:littleoneapril.blogspot.com&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Sick.

I remember her saying something about "God knows the truth" in her defense. Oh, and she's a social worker. ???

I am sorry for whatever emptiness in her life made her feel the need to attract so much attention to herself. I can't imagine what loneliness and emptiness someone would have to feel to start something like this.

There isn't anything to charge her for, is there? She didn't profit from it.

We've had at least 2 of those here in the last several years. The last one was in Ga and she said she had the child with a mito disorder. When the "child" died, some did some investigating and she disappeared after suspicions were posted. Does anyone remember that?

We've had at least 2 of those here in the last several years. The last one was in Ga and she said she had the child with a mito disorder. When the "child" died, some did some investigating and she disappeared after suspicions were posted. Does anyone remember that?

I'm a skeptic by nature, so I never fully believe tales told on the forum. I'm sure the majority are true, but you just never know.

Wasn't there another lady earlier who actually posted as two separate people, showing a "real-life" friendship to validate what she was going through? Bizarre!

Wasn't there another lady earlier who actually posted as two separate people, showing a "real-life" friendship to validate what she was going through? Bizarre!

That was the famous JGEMom incident. IIRC, she claimed her dh died of an MI. It was a total fabrication.

I was on a forum years ago and something similar happened. The woman wove a fascinating tale and received a lot of support and attention. It all fell apart when someone in the same town discovered it was all a hoax while checking up on her story because she was so worried about her and wanted to see her in person.

It's so hard to understand why anyone would do something like this. I wonder if it's a form of Munchausen syndrome. :confused:

ETA: Apparently so! I just found this.

Edited by WordGirl
add link

The article was wrong. She was never a social worker. Anyone can check social worker status online in the state of illinois.

http://www.naswil.org/factlicense.htm

She is an artist.

She was making money blogher ads- at least 2 cents per click. There were times when she had hit count contests. She had over a million hits on her counter months ago.

Apparently, she also lied about having a baby that died. Instead she had a miscarriage. Not that I think a miscarriage isn't traumatic enough...

She did have a PO BOX set up for money and gifts.

I was sceptical from the start but I kept reading to see how it would all unfold. I don't feel scammed. But then again, I thought MckMama was also fake until it was proven otherwise.