Menu

Creating a Newspaper

Lysa

I am teaching a Literature/Writing class at our Co-Op next year and I had a question for you guys. I was thinking of doing some sort of newspaper with my class. I was thinking of incorporating reviews of the books we have read and assign different stories for the kids to write for the newspaper.

I guess what I am looking for is any great ideas to make this come alive for the kids. Has anyone ever done a newspaper with a group of kids? The age of the group will be 4th and 5th graders. I would love some new ideas or any resources anyone has used. Any interesting websites?

I appreciate the help. :)

My dd started her school newspaper. She is now editor in chief. Thru her school they put it out there, whoever wanted to join show up for a meeting.

Than they brainstormed as a group w/ a mentor/teacher. They came up w/ a name, a logo and a mission statement.

They had meetings wkly until they came up w/subject headings, and people every month stick up their hand for what subject they want to write for. She does not assign, although I would.

They have narrowed it down to special columnists, like poli. columnist, science columnist, staff writer etc.

Their paper has been going strong for five months, every mo they come up w/something new.

They use a school site, but you could blog or set up a free website w/blocks.

I am teaching a Literature/Writing class at our Co-Op next year and I had a question for you guys. I was thinking of doing some sort of newspaper with my class. I was thinking of incorporating reviews of the books we have read and assign different stories for the kids to write for the newspaper.

I guess what I am looking for is any great ideas to make this come alive for the kids. Has anyone ever done a newspaper with a group of kids? The age of the group will be 4th and 5th graders. I would love some new ideas or any resources anyone has used. Any interesting websites?

I appreciate the help. :)

Just some thoughts ...

It would be neat to start with a serious, guided browse through the sections of your local (city) paper as you talk about what sections to include in your own. Then, talk about the different job functions on a paper: reporter, (assigning/managing) editor, copy editor, photographer, columnists, cartoonists, perhaps puzzle designer. You could wind this up with a field trip to the local paper where hopefully various staff would share about how they do their work.

Make sure the kiddos have access to digital cameras. Depending on how you want to do production (one of the most fun parts I suspect for kids), you might want to set up a little portable "newsroom" with printer, laptops with whatever publisher software you plan to use, cables to connect the cameras, and perhaps a scanner.

Sounds like a *great* co-op project (and a great way to teach clarity in writing -- have them model off the local paper if it's any good, or an online edition of a good one)-- wanna come do it here in Las Cruces, New Mexico? I'll help you run it ;).

Could you have sections just like a regular paper? Are there any sports programs for homeschoolers in your area? Some could cover those games. You might could at least do articles each time on the sports the kids in your class are involved in.

What about a classified section where mom's could buy space to advertise their own things for sale (curriculum, items not needed anymore, etc.)? That would help some with the printing costs. You could have restaurant and movie reviews as well as books.

If you have any artsy kids, maybe they could do their own cartoon. Crosswords or sudoku would be easy to put in.

We might be starting a co-op this fall and this has me really wanting to teach newspapers!