Menu

(x-post) Dolciani / Singapore

I posted this to the K-8 board, but am not getting much response. Could anyone with experience using Singapore and Dolciani help me with this decision?

My daughter was getting burnt out on Singapore Math after level 4. We do the main text/workbook, intensive practice and challenging word problems. So I went ahead and let her stop Singapore and start Dolciani Pre-Algebra (1970.) She is still in the first book of the two book series. She is doing fine with the pre-algebra book and enjoys it more than Singapore. She would like to simply continue on with it into Dolciani Algebra I. I had always envisioned going back to Singapore 5 in the fall. For those that are familiar with either/both programs, what do you think? Are there areas of Singapore 5/6 that I should definitely cover? Only the text/workbook? Only the challenging word problems? I actually wouldn't feel at all bad in telling her she simply has to get back to the full Singapore 5 curriculum come fall. She doesn't mind math, so even this would be OK. But her preference is to just continue in the Dolciani books without Singapore 5 or 6. What would you do?

I have used Singapore K-6 and am now in Dolciani Algebra I Structure and Method. After looking at the scope and sequence in the NEM (Singapore's 7+), I decided we needed a pre-Alg. program before heading into Dolciani Algebra I, so we did the Math-U-See Pre-Algebra. There was a bit of review and it very lightly intro. Alg. so ds (13yo, 7th grade) saw Algebra was no biggie. We're moving along well in the Dolciani after this plan.

Here's my thought in your situation. If dd is enjoying and doing well with Doliciani Pre-Algebra....leave her there. Unless you think she needs to continue a bit more on the foundations of math. Singapore 5 is still practicing foundations, while 6 gets more of an abstract/algebra feel. You could compare the scope and sequence of each Singapore level to the Dolciani too.

Finally, I'd like to say, my eldest Loved Singapore. #2, not so much. I finally let him switch this year (not doing 6, instead MUS/Saxon combo w. Challenging Word Problems (which he hates)) and he is much happier about math. I know not liking it wasn't a problem, but since you mentioned she was burnt out, I thought I'd add this.

Hope it works out well. Take care.

I think you're fine, sticking where you are with Dolciani. It's a good program. The one thing I might do is to keep the Singapore CWP. I was looking on in our Dolciani algebra I (1965) and found some very challenging word problems in one section. Math is not my strong point, and I was unable to solve them with algebra. But I could solve them with a bar diagram!:lol:

I think you're fine, sticking where you are with Dolciani. It's a good program. The one thing I might do is to keep the Singapore CWP. I was looking on in our Dolciani algebra I (1965) and found some very challenging word problems in one section. Math is not my strong point, and I was unable to solve them with algebra. But I could solve them with a bar diagram!:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: There's the beauty of the bar diagram. Of course, the point of Dolciani is to learn to do it with Algebra;). This past week dd was having a bit of trouble with something in Dolciani. I threatened to help her (really, she hates it when I help her, although will read explanations by people here. I only ask once in a great while, though) so she finally solved the problem her way, since she said Dolciani did it a dumb, hard way (something along those words). This is the one who hated SM, not the ones who didn't usually hate it.

Thanks for the advice. I think what we will do is continue with the Dolciani book and the CWP book only. But, areas where the CWPs become too difficult we will go back to the Singapore textbook and work through those chapters.

That sounds like an excellent plan. Once you're done with Dolciani pre-Algebra you should be all set to start with the Dolciani Algebra 1.