Menu

Homeschool Now or Wait Until Fall?

kellycbr

What to do....My ds(7) is bored in school. A very good small town public school with an amazing teacher, and great principal. They have been wonderful trying to help me solve our dilema with our son - he's bored, starting to hate school, and we see the fire for learning dim a bit. But is it that he's just going through a 7-year-old negative phase, and isn't disiplined? He's bright, doing fine grade-wise in school, and has lots of friends. He tells me he'd rather homeschool, and we have a great group of homeschoolers in our area who would be a great support. His teacher told me - off the record - that he is an excellent homeschool candidate. She has a daughter who is similar to my son - bright, not at all an auditory learner ( and that just doesn't work in a class of 20), and very creative. So, do I make him finish the year (try and instill that discipline), and start this fall when I'm better prepared and organized, or do I plunge in now?

Guest Lorna

I agree with Cadam. I wish I hadn't waited too long for my children when they were that age. Half a year makes a huge difference to a child of seven.

Take your time with choosing books etc at first. It can take a long time to find out what works for your child. I second the walks in the park and reading too!

. So, do I make him finish the year (try and instill that discipline), and start this fall when I'm better prepared and organized, or do I plunge in now?

My first thought is that the 2 are probably connected. Boredom in boys often leads to disruptive type behavior. I would pull him out. You will probably find he can accomplish his work in a fraction of the time of a school day and will have more time to run around and play quality instructional games (Legos are highly educational). Not being forced to sit still all day to finish what he can finish in minutes compared to his classmates, will alleviate a lot of his stress.....and open up a world to you both. :)

My son's first grade teacher told me the same thing, off the record. Since then lots of people who aren't generally HS advocates have said the same thing -- this is what will work for this kid. Period. SO, I wish I hadn't wasted time. That teacher was great, but I was doing the math at home with him anyway because he needed quiet and to be able to move. The classroom setting just wasn't meeting his needs. I'd have been putting the same effort in anyway.

Don't wait. Discipline is a different issue than doing the same thing over again expecting different results. These little ones only get this one time through, so go for it! :D

You don't need to be totally organized and start formal lessons right away.

It will take a few weeks or even a couple of months to get organized. And some of us never get organized. Meanwhile, follow the WTM guidelines on going to the library and picking out a science book, a history book, and a fiction book (or was it two per week) and he can spend time reading those and discussing them casually with you, perhaps summarize what he has read.

Or even just let him read what he wants.

When a seven year old spends a lot of time reading it is not time wasted. What he gains in reading comprehension will more than help compensate for this lost time when he does formally do history and science and can get through those subjects faster and better because of improved reading comprehension.

If you don't get organized until May or June, then start in May or June! We aren't required to stop lessons in the summer like the public schools are. I vote for getting him a stack of books and a Snap Circuits kit in the meantime.

No, you show him that his parents are responsive to his needs and care more about what is best for him than the arbitrary schedule of the school system. Tell his teacher and the principal thank you so much for all of their help and pull that child out.

Yes! What she said. :)

First you already have an AMAZING support systems already in place but what does your spouse think?

I would pull him out now, take a month or two and take time to set things up at home, look at curriculum choices and go on field trips. Give him a transition from school to home, time to breathe without new academic expectations, give yourself time to find curricula that will fit him and you and take him places you couldn't before b/c he was in school- a State Park, museums, etc.

With him at home, the dynamics change- there will probably be new rules, new chores and you might want to get organized in your cleaning and cooking areas of life. I would continue math, reading and writing though even if it's just with workbooks for the time being. Have him read every day and practice his handwriting or write a couple of sentences about anything.

What an encouragement from his teacher! Best wishes, no matter what you decide to do...

We pulled our boys out in April with only 3 months left of school. We just flew by the seat of our pants for those three months. I had them read ALOT about all subjects. Science was really just informal nature study although I had no idea what that even was back then. I also just bought a couple of inexpensive math books to keep them going. I spend the rest of year and the summer reading about homeschooling so that I could start fresh in the fall. Your son is young and already ahead. I really wouldn't worry about messing up. Just read a lot, continue with math, and get outside. You can start over in the fall.

How does sitting in a class, bored stiff, teach DISCIPLINE??? Make him sit through church with his hands folded, if that's your goal. If he's asking to leave, I'd get him out. Kids at that age are very honest (blunt) and perceptive. I'd make his last day Friday, so they can give him a party and he can have closure. Meanwhile, ask him what he wants to study, order your stuff, and it will be here in time for you to start next week. You might have to spend the first day decorating and having a welcome home day, but your new stuff would be here soon after that. If you need a quickie plan, I'd suggest:

SOTW1 with AG

math (Singapore or Horizons would be good places to start, sound like they might fit his visual learner personality)

Sonlight core 1 read alouds

I assume he already reads well, so you can either take him to the library or start buying books. For handwriting, he can do copywork. First Language Lessons (FLL), while very good, is murder for a very visual learner because it's so auditory and repetitive, oh my. You can get it though and just do selected lessons from it, as in the first or second lesson where each new thing is introduced. Memorize the defs of the terms, then put the book away and move on. At least that's what I had to do with my visual learner. I'm glad we did it, even if it did require modification, because it's made for a strong foundation going into Shurley grammar, Writing Tales, etc.

For handwriting he can do copywork or just write the alphabet daily. Don't make it hard.

He doesn't need a writing program yet, just write sentences to label his illustrations for narrations.

Find something HE likes and plunk out for it. My dd is into art and history, so that's where I put our $$. Your ds might like robotics or something totally different. Try the timberdoodle catalog http://www.timberdoodle.com and of course just ask him what interests him or what he'd like to pursue. He might like some science kits, etc.

You don't to have all your ducks in a row to get started, just some basics and a library card. You can fill in the extras as you find your groove about how you like to do things. I wouldn't do the SL science btw; it was a flop for us.

Hope your change goes well! :)

We removed our oldest dd at age 6 at this same time of year. Your thought process sounds just like mine was, and I considered all the same questions as you, and I have to say, the advice you're getting here is what I would have loved to have at the time!

We did decide to take her out pretty much immediately, and the teacher was more concerned about the impact this would have on the other kids than she was about why my dd was leaving!

Anyway, we never had one day of regret. Within a couple of weeks, I saw the glimmer come back in her eyes, and within a month or so, her desire to learn was re-ignited. We took our time choosing curriculum, and spent time at the library, reading books, being outdoors, planning a science project "for fun" and just getting to know each other as teacher-student. It was glorious. This made it much easier for us to start strong in the fall, ready to learn, and sure of our curriculum choices.

I highly recommend removing a child from school if you feel it's the right time. If he is ready, then honoring that desire in your child will result in a teachable spirit at home.

Best wishes to you!

Do you have a Spring Break coming up? (Ours is always the week before Easter)It might be good to take him out the last day before. If that's in 3 weeks or so, you could be up and running by then. But don't stress. Do what ever y other poster has said, and take some time just to read and start your new routine at home. Honestly, I'd plan some field trips, meet with the homeschoolers, and get some books at the library (that can be your first field trip LOL). As others have said,too, find his interests and run with them. Don't forget that he's used to routine and having lots of peers around, so he may appear bored at home, too. Set up some play dates, or whatever you call them. After he's been home a week or two, start math, reading and do what Jessica said, about chores and organizing--just get acclimated. And her advice about making sure dh is on board is important, too.

You have time to decide on more formal curriculum and on your philosophy of homeschooling.

What an exciting time!

If you've made the decision to hs, then pull him out now. We pulled our oldest out of first grade when we started homeschooling in 2001, and we did it just before Thanksgiving break. I was not prepared at that time, although I had spoken with a few veteran hsers. We ordered some materials to cover the 3Rs, and winged it through Nov/Dec, then got more structured in January. Looking back, it was definitely the right thing to do. Once you've made the decision to take a certain path, I see no reason not to take that path right away!

wow. this situation sounds just like our family. Together my husband & I have decided to home school next year, and we've decided to just wait until the end of the school year, that way all the things he was meant to learn that they may have started would be somewhat finished. Plus, it's going to be a very emotional time for him (and me watching him :rolleyes:) as he is SO social, it's the only reason he wants to stay at school: his friends. I figured if he stayed until the end of the year they'd already somewhat be saying a good bye so it wouldn't be quite so harsh?

Hmm. I just don't know now. As my son is having trouble with being terribly bored & so therefore wanting to talk & roam because he's already finished *his* classwork. And he's never had discipline issues before. . . You know, the recurring type I mean. ;)

I'd do it now. No need for him languishing there any longer. I'd use the spring as a way to ease into it and find your groove. There is no such thing as being prepared - just have fun, and you'll figure it out as you go. It will take a lot of pressure off of you, vs. starting at the beginning of the year. And it sounds like he'll be able to come up with plenty of ideas to keep both of you busy! I'd even lean towards less formal things for the rest of the year and the summer.

Have fun! Enjoy learning with your ds, and it will all come together.

to wait, I would go ahead and start now. That gives you plenty of time to get "the hang" of homeschooling, and for your DS to start to recover.

I waited six months before pulling DS out of school, but I worked full time back then, and we couldn't afford the loss of my salary for those months.

Michelle T

These are really great suggestions everyone has posted. However, part of me feels like he should finish something he started - that was the 'discipline' I mentioned earlier. My dh is completely for homeschooling, so that isn't an issue. The upfront cost of homeschooling is something we are trying to figure out. I know I can use the library, but I know there are some curriculums that would be much better for our ds. He hates worksheets, and is a visusal and kinesthetic learner, so I don't want to continue what they were doing in public school. And yes, the old "what about his social life" question, does concern me. My ds told me he doesn't care, and playdates will work fine. I still worry. On the other hand, the message boards at this site are fantastic, and I've been obsessively reading them for weeks, and I come away enthusiastic about the prospect of homeschooling my ds, and my dd. Thanks everyone. Your support is amazing.

I would pull him out. I had a similar situation last year with my 7 year old daughter. She pleaded with us not go back after the Christmas break. We had already decided that we were going to homeschool the next year. We decided to have her finish the year at the school.....finish what you start...BIG mistake. When the teachers and kids found out we were not coming back, and we were homeschooling, they started filling my daughters head will all kinds of junk, which we then had to battle for the first several months of our homeschooling.

You hit the nail on the head with the fact that he is visual and not auditory. That was my oldest's problem. Took me till 6th grade to figure out why he didn't get stuff that wasn't in a textbook. He is very much a print/visual learner. Finally, once I pulled him out and got him going with books/texts, he was so happy. He even was afraid I was going to lecture him.

That said, we did spend time from 7th grade on having him take notes when watching a video or when he went to places that had speakers. It was a skill that he had to learn for college.

So, you can wait if he still likes seeing his friends and the other parts of school. If you wait, don't stress about him not "doing well". Explain to him that he will be hsed next year and you have to spend this time learning about it.

If you pull him, ask him what he wants to learn about. Ask him for help when looking at curriculum. He might know more than you think.

Good luck.