Menu

Today's Digital Conversion Has Me Depressed...

We have had months to ponder this issue. It's no surprise that June 12th was coming. We live in the sticks and knew the new converter box we bought wouldn't help us. No cable out this far. Don't want a satellite payment. Our old rabbit ears won't help, either. While we watch very little TV, it is still *there* if we just want to veg and stare at the tube. I watch morning news shows while I do my Wii free stepping. We watch an occasional evening show and the news. But this week I have had it on constantly, and have even stooped to listening to Dr. Phil. :D I'm a big girl. I can do without the television. I think. But I feel so embarrassingly sad about it. I turned it on just now and most of the channels have already gone, leaving those rainbow stripes with the notice that 'we aren't prepared', or those annoying fuzzy wiggles of color. I have made lists of things to do instead of watching TV...I have my NetFlix queue filled...I found Hulu...I have chocolate...but I'm still sad. Any suggestions?

Do you have a roof antena? They had this whole thing on the DirectTV channel (why, who knows), on how to readjust your antena to get all the new channels.

They recommend turning it directly south first, then directly north, noting the channels you get in either direction. Apparently, there are no channels to the east or west, lol.

I hope that helps... otherwise.... uh.... you could get a horribly expensive dish like us, it was our only option.

Didn't you get a converter box? I have bunny ears on my TV and bought the converter. The picture is 10 times better now. I signed up for the $40 coupon and paid about $10 extra for the converter. I am getting a couple extra channels now, but, sadly, still no PBS.

Didn't you get a converter box? I have bunny ears on my TV and bought the converter. The picture is 10 times better now. I signed up for the $40 coupon and paid about $10 extra for the converter. I am getting a couple extra channels now, but, sadly, still no PBS.

Totally off-topic, but your PBS comment reminded me of this... We didn't watch a lot of tv growing up, but we were the first house on the block to get cable. Why? Because it was the only way to get PBS.

I had the tv on when they did the switch. On each station there was a really old guy flipping a switch talking about how he remembered when they turned on that particular tv station. It took me a minute to figure out what was going on.

Yep, me too. I feel a bit left out from the world of TV, but that is probably a good thing. I enjoy watching the news after the kids are in bed but I'll have to stick to reading without the news/tv.

I think it'll take a bit of time to adjust- even though I only watch for about 15-20 minutes at night....

You're not alone!

Sue

I just looked at ours. The analog broadcasts are gone, but the digital channels that were supposed to move do not seem to be working right now. We're in a fringe area, so I don't know if it is a problem on our end or their end. Anyway, I'm going to wait a couple more days before I "fix" anything in case they don't have it all working, yet. I can imagine it would take a couple of days to get things sorted out on their end...

We are living way out as well but bought a converter box months ago with a coupon. We do have a very old-fashioned antenna on the roof of the house. I have not watched TV today - we usually only get around to that in the evening, but I fully expect the darn thing to work. At least, I'd still want a major news channel to work

We are living way out as well but bought a converter box months ago with a coupon. We do have a very old-fashioned antenna on the roof of the house. I have not watched TV today - we usually only get around to that in the evening, but I fully expect the darn thing to work. At least, I'd still want a major news channel to work
Everyone should remember you need to scan for new channels. In the case of your converter box, you will need to scan with that, not your TV.

Just keep in mind it's easy for the TV station to turn off their old transmitter, but quite challenging to turn on the new one. As a result, there may be problems with the transition.

I just looked at ours. The analog broadcasts are gone, but the digital channels that were supposed to move do not seem to be working right now. We're in a fringe area, so I don't know if it is a problem on our end or their end. Anyway, I'm going to wait a couple more days before I "fix" anything in case they don't have it all working, yet. I can imagine it would take a couple of days to get things sorted out on their end...

Did you do a new scan on your tv to pick up the new channels? I just scanned mine and it found a few new ones, and dropped the old ones.

ETA: I guess the previous post answered mine! We must have been typing at the same time, LOL!!

We dropped satellite six months ago, and haven't watched network since. I guess we found other things to do. We enjoy Netflix 4-5 nights a week, but we've been fine.

I suppose we'd better install the converter box I bought in January this weekend just in case we change our habits...

I have chocolate...but I'm still sad. Any suggestions?

You have chocolate and you're *still* sad? :001_huh: I just don't understand!:D

When dh and I were grad students, we gave up television. Not voluntarily, mind you. We just couldn't afford even basic cable, and in the mountains of WV, nothing comes in at.all. without cable. I thought I had fallen off the edge of the world, and would never have contact with civilized society again. After about a month, I realized that I really didn't like television. That was ten years ago. We haven't had a television since. (Of course, we do keep some dvd's, and I don't think I could live without my computer. Then again...)

-Robin

:iagree:

We are out also. I will miss it, but we watch it so little, it may not be too hard.

We bought that stupid little box & it isn't a bit of help. We can get 3 channels of PBS and NOTHING else. What a waste of money! I am amazed that the information about needing a better antenna only came out MUCH LATER (after the initial deadline). I never heard it mentioned... only you needed the box if you used an antenna or rabbit ears.

I am not paying $100 or so per month for TV. I am not paying a huge price for a new antenna.

Thankfully, we have lots of DVDs!

Y'all really helped me feel better! Yes, the chocolate helped a little, too. :001_smile: I made pizza for supper and we all talked about the lack of TV. The girls didn't seem at all concerned. Dh turned on the silly converter box and re-scanned it, and we get ONE channel...very weakly. Yep, a real waste of cash, that box. Thanks, too, for the technical information. I'll get hubby right on it. He loves these engineering challenges! Oh, I didn't mention that our antenna is on the top of our 2 story house, with a very high pitched roof, and there ain't no way, no how I'm gonna let hubby get up there, unless it's by helicopter! :D Well, I'm off to unwrap another piece of chocolate. Take care, and have a happy non-TV weekend~

I forgot about today.

We live in a moderate sized city very close to a major city and have a huge rooftop antenna...still our favorite channel, the one that has most of the shows we enjoy...has reception problems with digital but not with analog. Up until now when it would get all those wonderful digital squares all over, we'd just switch it back to analog to finish watching the show. Guess that's not an option any more.

Totally off-topic, but your PBS comment reminded me of this... We didn't watch a lot of tv growing up, but we were the first house on the block to get cable. Why? Because it was the only way to get PBS.

I had the tv on when they did the switch. On each station there was a really old guy flipping a switch talking about how he remembered when they turned on that particular tv station. It took me a minute to figure out what was going on.

PBS was the only reason we got cable when we moved here, and we had THREE PBS statios in the area and couldn't get a single one from the antenna!

BTW, having cable doesn't mean you have TV today either. One of our PBS stations went digital early and the cable company didn't changing the signal back to analog! We had to have Comcast install THEIR converter box, use THEIR remote and after a year's usage we start gettinng charged for it. And this is after months of being reassured by programs and ads about the switch that if you had cable you didn't need to worry. How many cable customers are now scrambling for those boxes?!?

Y'all really helped me feel better! Yes, the chocolate helped a little, too. :001_smile: I made pizza for supper and we all talked about the lack of TV. The girls didn't seem at all concerned. Dh turned on the silly converter box and re-scanned it, and we get ONE channel...very weakly. Yep, a real waste of cash, that box. Thanks, too, for the technical information. I'll get hubby right on it. He loves these engineering challenges! Oh, I didn't mention that our antenna is on the top of our 2 story house, with a very high pitched roof, and there ain't no way, no how I'm gonna let hubby get up there, unless it's by helicopter! :D Well, I'm off to unwrap another piece of chocolate. Take care, and have a happy non-TV weekend~

I don't have a roof-top antenna, just a $20 "sit on top of the TV" variety. If the TV weren't in the basement, I might get more channels.

I can imagine it would take a couple of days to get things sorted out on their end...

I don't know about your area, but in our area the digital channels have been transmitted for over a year, probably closer to 2 years. If other areas are like ours, the stations have had plenty of time to get any kinks ironed out. June 12 wasn't the date to turn the digital stations on, since they have probably been broadcasting them for quite some time; it was the date they turned the analog stations off.

PBS was the only reason we got cable when we moved here, and we had THREE PBS statios in the area and couldn't get a single one from the antenna!

BTW, having cable doesn't mean you have TV today either. One of our PBS stations went digital early and the cable company didn't changing the signal back to analog! We had to have Comcast install THEIR converter box, use THEIR remote and after a year's usage we start gettinng charged for it. And this is after months of being reassured by programs and ads about the switch that if you had cable you didn't need to worry. How many cable customers are now scrambling for those boxes?!?

One of our PBS channels did that, too. We can get it on our HD tv with th box, but not the other tv's with just a cable line.

And I lived in MD when we had to get cable to get PBS.

Egads. I WISH our tv would just die for a few weeks so my husband could get over his addiction.

Actually, he doesn't watch it all that much, which makes the stinkin' monthly bill seem like an even worse indignity. If we're going to pay $100 for tv, then, by golly, we should at least WATCH the durn thing.

If I had an extra $1200 a year...wow. The things I could do...

We gave up cable two days ago and then with the switch, we do not get any channels at all. We did go and buy a cable (not an s cable but similar.) that hooks the laptop up to the TV. We are watching the new Burn Notice episode on USA. Works good. Our cable hooks into our laptop audio too and then goes into the TV in the three plugs in the front (don't know the name off the top of my head.) We get good picture and the sound comes out of the TV and not the laptop. Pretty cool. We use this for the Discovery Streaming for school.

But we are still getting use to no TV at the press of a button. It was hard. Growing up that is all we did. We ate in front of the TV and everything. I am glad we did it. The kids don't even seem to miss it at all.

Next we are thinking of getting rid of our landline phone.

I figure we can make it through the summer with DVDs of old TV shows and movies. Netflix could be good now. :) We may get cable in the fall. Wouldn't bother me if we didn't. I get my news on the radio or from these forums.

I don't know about your area, but in our area the digital channels have been transmitted for over a year, probably closer to 2 years. If other areas are like ours, the stations have had plenty of time to get any kinks ironed out. June 12 wasn't the date to turn the digital stations on, since they have probably been broadcasting them for quite some time; it was the date they turned the analog stations off.
That's correct. However, one of the reasons they are turning off the analog transmitters is so that they can move their digital transmissions back to the original frequencies (expect lower VHF channels 2-6). WDCA 9 and WJLA 7 in Washington DC moved from UHF frequencies in the 30s back to 9 and 7 today at a *much* lower power levels. I've been using a UHF antenna for digital TV up until now, though I receive one digital channel that is nearby on upper VHF. My tuner shows that it is receiving a signal for 7 and 9, but it is not decoding a picture. My brother is getting these channels fine today, so I guess the problem is on my end.

I guess I'll need to get my VHF antenna properly set up again, since channel 9 is the one that transmits the program guide for this area that my DVR uses.

But I feel so embarrassingly sad about it.

When I called from work today, I heard a tone in hubby's voice I've never heard. He was sad. He can barely read, and his hearing stinks. The headphones for the TV are his interaction with the world. I'm gone all day, I school kiddo when I get home, them work, read, etc. He doesn't understand what I talk about: what I am saying and/or what it means. The TV is his contact with the world of adults.

So, you are not alone, I'm sure.

I guess we got lucky. We live in the sticks and only have rabbit ears, but with the converter box we get TONS more channels now. We're happy about the change here. LOL!

This was my mom too. She used to only get three channels clear and one fuzzy enough that I would never watch it. Now she's getting about 12 stations and they are all really clear. She's in the country with no access to cable. She bought a digital TV and can't get any digital channels on it and still needs the converter box. When I read the directions with the TV it said: if you have trouble getting the digital channels, switch the TV to analog mode. How silly is that? She bought it specifically for the switch over and still has to use the box.

Melissa

I think this whole thing has been handled really, really badly. We live in the boonies too and were facing no TV, when we got a bundled offer from our phone company including satellite TV for the same amount we were already paying. So as of Wednesday, we now have 200 or so channels when we are used to maybe 8. It's nuts. But we would not have done it without this stupid changeover.

Have to say though, I am really enjoying HGTV.

WDCA 9 and WJLA 7 in Washington DC moved from UHF frequencies in the 30s back to 9 and 7 today at a *much* lower power levels. I've been using a UHF antenna for digital TV up until now, though I receive one digital channel that is nearby on upper VHF. My tuner shows that it is receiving a signal for 7 and 9, but it is not decoding a picture.
These are working now, but 7 is still a little weak.

We now have about the same number of digital channels as we had before the changeover. My brother has gone from about 26 digital channels before the changeover to 47 after.

We live in the sticks, too, and also in the foothills of the Blue Ridge (in fact, precisely at the bottom on the mountains). No cable either, but we did get a converter box and were curious if it would work with our antenna which is directional and has a booster on it. It did, though some of our channels have changed or aren't there. I can't say that we get any more than we did.

Where in the Blue Ridge foothills are you? PM me, if you'd like.

What I don't get is why my reception keeps changing? Two nights ago, we only got channels 5, 7 and 9. Last night, we were only able to see channels 4 and 9. This morning my husband says we are getting 4, 5 and 7. That drives me crazy. Or, I will be in the middle of watching something and suddenly we lose reception.

Lisa

We live in the sticks, too, and also in the foothills of the Blue Ridge (in fact, precisely at the bottom on the mountains). No cable either, but we did get a converter box and were curious if it would work with our antenna which is directional and has a booster on it. It did, though some of our channels have changed or aren't there. I can't say that we get any more than we did.

Where in the Blue Ridge foothills are you? PM me, if you'd like.

We also live in the northern Shenandoah valley "in the shadow of the Blue Ridge".

Your existing antenna and booster should work fine. That said, you should not expect to receive *exactly* the same channels you did before. Receiving digital broadcasts is *very* different than receiving analog broadcasts and transmission problems affect them in different ways.

What you should expect is that some of the channels now broadcast 2, 3, 4 or 5 programs now when they previously only broadcast 1.

What I don't get is why my reception keeps changing? Two nights ago, we only got channels 5, 7 and 9. Last night, we were only able to see channels 4 and 9. This morning my husband says we are getting 4, 5 and 7. That drives me crazy. Or, I will be in the middle of watching something and suddenly we lose reception.

Lisa

Are you in the Washington, DC broadcast area, also?

It's not easy to answer you question, because it partially depends on your antenna and your receiver. That said, here are some things that can cause changes for digital transmissions versus the old analog transmissions:

1) The frequency of transmission has changed for some channels. In most markets, including DC, the old frequencies for channels 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 (lower VHF) have been eliminated. Nearly every station that was transmitting at those frequencies has move to a UHF frequency. In some cases, that means a frequency as much as 10 times as high as the old frequency. Unfortunately, UHF frequencies are attenuated much more rapidly than VHF frequencies, so these stations will not be able to be watched as far away as the old analog stations. This is true even though the transmitters are putting out 10 times as much power and the digital receivers are capable of receiving signals 100 times lower than the old analog receivers. Also note that everyone's antenna will have different characteristics at UHF frequencies than they do at VHF frequencies. Some will be better at UHF and some will be worse.

2) Channels 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 (upper VHF) stopped analog transmissions on Friday and moved their digital transmissions back to upper VHF. There were also some frequency moves within the UHF band (14-69). As such, we all need to rescan channels now.

3) Multipath distortion is what causes "ghosts" in analog TV transmissions. In digital transmissions, it can prevent proper decoding of the digital signals. This is true even when you have a strong signal. Different receivers have a BIG variation in their ability to deal with multipath distortion. Even the ones that handle it well have differences. Some can handle fast-changing multipath such as an airplane flying over, but most cannot.

4) Because of the movement to UHF frequencies some channels will be affected more by weather than they were in the past.

5) Digital TV (ATSC) receivers are in their 6th and 7th generations. Each generation tends to get a little better than the previous generation. Unfortunately, it is not easy to know if you will get a good or great receiver when you purchase new equipment. It's certainly possible to get a crappy one. The links I provided earlier are good resources to help find out if you have a good or bad receiver. I fully expect digital TV receivers to get better in the future.

Good luck to all trying to get their TVs to work again after the transition!

We made the switch a couple of months ago and even bought a little digital antenna (not worth it) along with the converter box and as a result we lost a good bit of our channels.

We previously watched a lot of snowy tv but could watch channels from Delaware, PA and Maryland. So, it wasn't clear like digital tv but at least we could watch the show if we wanted. One thing we didn't have though was an ABC channel.

Now, we have lost all of our DE and all but one PA station, we gained an ABC station and lost all of the PBS channels. So, we went from about 20 stations to about 4. Ugh! I'd love to get at least one PBS stations like we had before because we watched that channel alot. It looks like there are a few new ones I'd like to check out.

We do have a roof top antenna that we haven't put up yet so when that happens I'm hoping we'll get more....but I'm not counting on it.

For those who are looking for a small, high-gain antenna to use for OTA digital television, I would like to recommend the Channel Master 4228HD.

I have the previous version of this antenna in my attic and can receive most of the broadcasts from Washington DC 55 miles away. The new version of the antenna has a slightly wider back screen to improve its upper VHF performance. One thing nice about this antenna is that it is so small that it can be used with a rotor even in the attic. I hung my rotor upside-down so that I would have room. Here is a picture showing this antenna in my attic:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1049&stc=1&d=1244901524

CM 4228 DTV Antenna on Rotor in Guheert Attic

One other awesome resource for finding the distance, direction and signal level of ALL television stations is TV Fool.

Good luck!

post-9943-13535082891259_thumb.jpg

Well, we are doing alright so far...but I stayed out shopping all day so I wouldn't have to look at the dark TV screen. :D Dh just re-scanned again and, alas, we have ZERO channels! Isn't that just lovely? Well, PBS is there, frozen on an image, but we can hear the dialog. We live on the 'Crooked Road' in Franklin County, so maybe that explains it. It's a wonder we have electricity out here! :lol:

Are you in the Washington, DC broadcast area, also?

It's not easy to answer you question, because it partially depends on your antenna and your receiver. That said, here are some things that can cause changes for digital transmissions versus the old analog transmissions:

1) The frequency of transmission has changed for some channels. In most markets, including DC, the old frequencies for channels 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 (lower VHF) have been eliminated. Nearly every station that was transmitting at those frequencies has move to a UHF frequency. In some cases, that means a frequency as much as 10 times as high as the old frequency. Unfortunately, UHF frequencies are attenuated much more rapidly than VHF frequencies, so these stations will not be able to be watched as far away as the old analog stations. This is true even though the transmitters are putting out 10 times as much power and the digital receivers are capable of receiving signals 100 times lower than the old analog receivers. Also note that everyone's antenna will have different characteristics at UHF frequencies than they do at VHF frequencies. Some will be better at UHF and some will be worse.

2) Channels 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 (upper VHF) stopped analog transmissions on Friday and moved their digital transmissions back to upper VHF. There were also some frequency moves within the UHF band (14-69). As such, we all need to rescan channels now.

3) Multipath distortion is what causes "ghosts" in analog TV transmissions. In digital transmissions, it can prevent proper decoding of the digital signals. This is true even when you have a strong signal. Different receivers have a BIG variation in their ability to deal with multipath distortion. Even the ones that handle it well have differences. Some can handle fast-changing multipath such as an airplane flying over, but most cannot.

4) Because of the movement to UHF frequencies some channels will be affected more by weather than they were in the past.

5) Digital TV (ATSC) receivers are in their 6th and 7th generations. Each generation tends to get a little better than the previous generation. Unfortunately, it is not easy to know if you will get a good or great receiver when you purchase new equipment. It's certainly possible to get a crappy one. The links I provided earlier are good resources to help find out if you have a good or bad receiver. I fully expect digital TV receivers to get better in the future.

Good luck to all trying to get their TVs to work again after the transition!

Yes, we are in the DC area. I will pass on this information to my husband and see if it gives him any insights. Thanks!

Lisa

We pick up more digital channels than we were able to get on analog, and we live in a remote location. Strangely enough, we're picking up two or three stations that are 100 miles or more away. When we used to get barely watchable channels before the conversion, we now get a very clear picture.

BlueRidge...I live 1/2 mile off the Crooked Road in FC! Where are you? PM me, if you wish. Wow, there are three of us in FC now!

We are getting all of the regular channels (great quality) plus a few. BUT, we are unable to get FOX in properly all the time. For whatever reason, when it was on earlier, the picture was like the picture on a DVD disk that is dirty or scratched--all those little blocks and halting speech, if you kwim.

I'm excited that another WTMer is right here! I hope to hear from you!