Menu

Title sentence/paragraph question...or...why my son feels he needs to be funny...

My 13 yo son just finished his rough draft on a 6 page report on the settlement of Texas. It was his first "real" report and he was excited.

Ever since this particular child was able to write a topic sentence he has felt the need to include a "hook" or draw. It has always rather annoyed me, but I tend to be very strait forward about school stuff, so I'm not sure it would annoy everybody.

So here is the beginning paragraph of his latest report:

"As you can see, the title of this report is 'The Settlement of Texas.' It is a very good story, full of indians, cowboys, Spanish explorers, lost treasure, and more interesting facts. Now that I got your attention, I would like to explain the rules. There will be no flash photography, please turn off your cell phone, and questions will be answered if you raise your hand. And now, our feature presentation."

This sort of writing drives me crazy. He thinks it is creative and funny, and he isn't the most willing writer, so I struggle with squashing his efforts. I have no problem red marking any grammatical or spelling error, but it is on this silliness that I stumble.

How would you handle it? Do you agree that it is silly?

Keep in mind it is his first real report. But honestly, he does this sort of thing occassionally in his journal entries and narrations.

Thanks for your help.

Jo

I'd leave him alone. I taught seventh grade and I would have loved for someone...anyone... to have shown that much enthusiasm for what they were writing. Now, I might be a bit more specific in my instructions the next time he does a big report, but this time, I would just applaud and tell him it is the best thing he has ever written.

Nice enthusiastic child. It makes me want to hug him. I'm sure he would NOT appreciate it!

Don't squash him. Insist on high content standards, legibility, neat presentation, etc. Also insist that his funny commentary actually be related to the material at hand. If he meets these standards, then let him keep his "voice."

When he gets older you will want to talk about when it is appropriate to have a casual writing voice and when he needs to be more formal. For now, though, don't worry about it as long as he has met the standards for content and neatness.

I've written a couple of posts myself about this exact issue in my ds(almost 12). It is the "middle school boy" bug. I've decided at this point that if he demonstrates that he knows the information that I'm not going to worry too much about the rest. But occasionally I will ask him to write something "the boring way" just so that I know that he can!

When he gets older you will want to talk about when it is appropriate to have a casual writing voice and when he needs to be more formal. For now, though, don't worry about it as long as he has met the standards for content and neatness.

:iagree:

When he's older, you can give him a variety of writing assignments, where tone will make all the difference: resume, letter to the editor, complaint letter to a company, short story for a magazine, etc...

Another vote for typical 13 yo boy behavior. Learn to laugh with him, and permit him some jesting, then later you will have good leverage when he really needs to be serious. FWIW, ds14.5 seems to be on the down slope of wanting to gain acceptance by being the funny guy, he is becoming more serious in his conversations and writing assignments (like he was *before* the onset of puberty!). Seems like it was just a phase, and mothers of his friends have said their guys went through the same thing.

By the way, you may also want to be on the lookout for spontaneous fits of goofy dancing.... just dance along!

This is a great season of life to appreciate the funny things a young teen guy will do... letting my hair down a bit has really opened relationship windows between ds and I. I count it as fair compensation for the other truly weird things a 13 year old boy does.... :001_smile:

My 16 year old still likes to do this.

It drives me insane, so we came to a compromise. I let him write his jokes on a separate piece of paper with an * beside it and he puts the * in the report where the joke is supposed to go.

That way he gets it out of his system and I don't have to kill him, LOL.

I think it's a good compromise. He gets to keep his creative spirit and then I can read his papers with a critical eye the first time and later go back and read them with the jokes and we can both have a good laugh. It's also a way to teach him to edit himself.

But oh boy, getting to that point was a bit of a challenge. :lol:

Another vote for typical 13 yo boy behavior. Learn to laugh with him, and permit him some jesting, then later you will have good leverage when he really needs to be serious. FWIW, ds14.5 seems to be on the down slope of wanting to gain acceptance by being the funny guy, he is becoming more serious in his conversations and writing assignments (like he was *before* the onset of puberty!). Seems like it was just a phase, and mothers of his friends have said their guys went through the same thing.

By the way, you may also want to be on the lookout for spontaneous fits of goofy dancing.... just dance along!

This is a great season of life to appreciate the funny things a young teen guy will do... letting my hair down a bit has really opened relationship windows between ds and I. I count it as fair compensation for the other truly weird things a 13 year old boy does.... :001_smile:

HERE HERE! Just what I was thinking...and Y.e.s. they (2 puberty stricken boys and their sister) drive me nuts with their goofiness. N U T S, but I try to laugh along and just make it clear when they can be funny or serious.

Do you have him journal? This may be a place he can really work towards funny and allow you to also assign the serious stuff too. Just a thought.