Menu

5 hour energy for teens?

A few weeks ago, we discovered that our 16 yr old son was taking 5 hour energy shots. We told him to stop, saying that if he was tired, he needed to sleep, not take a supplememt. I personally think they make him on edge. Today, I found out he bought some more. Are they bad for teens? He has always been high strung, but lately he seems even more hyped up, but I don't know if that is from the supplement. How would you handle this situation?

You told him no and he bought it anyway. I'd deal with that... actually I wouldn't deal with that without dh... he's stronger in these matters. Whether or not they are safe is a separate issue. You can discuss that and debate it later. Actually I don't know about these, this would be an interesting discussion. Maybe he can write an essay for them and then one against them (of equal length) in prep for the discussion (he wants it, he can do the research).

Anyway, that's my first instinct.

ymmv

hth

--Kathie

Edited by Kathie in VA
oops

My son used them a few times for early hockey games--after I used them for driving long distances...they do give you an energy burst, but, like most products like that, they have a quick drop-off as well...I think they do contribute to "jitters." We've found that mixing gatorade half and half with water and eating half a powerbar is just as effective and provides more long-lasting energy...

As a "sheltered adult", I don't know what you all are talking about, although I can construct a reasonable guess. Would someone mind explaining?

Thanks !

Beverages available in the soda section of most stores sell syrupy drinks that give one a mega boost of energy (like several cups of coffee would give a non-coffee drinker).

My $.02, they do work, but so do many other things like diet, sleep, exercise, etc. to improve energy. I have heard bad things about these, and would prefer to stick to the natural remedies. I admit to having tried them, and yes, "They give you wings," but I don't like the let down and they upset my stomach. I also found I was more apt to each junk food b/c I wanted to zoom around and get stuff done, and didn't want to sit down to eat a proper meal. Just my experience.

So, respectfully to the OP, I say, "No. No 5 hour energy drinks." and I'd agree that it was not okay that he bought them after you said no. There would have to be some kind of unpleasantry.

Hope it turns out well for you.

Ah. My goof. I thought the OP was referring to injections of some stimulant. ["shots"] (I know about "energy drinks", but did not recognize that is what she meant.)

Beverages available in the soda section of most stores sell syrupy drinks that give one a mega boost of energy (like several cups of coffee would give a non-coffee drinker).

My $.02, they do work, but so do many other things like diet, sleep, exercise, etc. to improve energy. I have heard bad things about these, and would prefer to stick to the natural remedies. I admit to having tried them, and yes, "They give you wings," but I don't like the let down and they upset my stomach. I also found I was more apt to each junk food b/c I wanted to zoom around and get stuff done, and didn't want to sit down to eat a proper meal. Just my experience.

So, respectfully to the OP, I say, "No. No 5 hour energy drinks." and I'd agree that it was not okay that he bought them after you said no. There would have to be some kind of unpleasantry.

Hope it turns out well for you.

Nothing can provide you with energy without a cost. You do pay for it in a toll, usually on your adrenals. All these so called "energy drinks" are complete misnomers. There is no such thing as a drink or anything that can give you free energy. Anything that stimulates your system will also contribute to burning it out.

I am trying to teach my ds13 this at the moment, as he wants to drink those high caffeine drinks that are NOT recommended for children. Its hard to get it across to a child though, and in the end, I don't like to absolutely forbid things that he can easily do secretly (he is in several environments during the week without me where he has access to these things) because I feel it tends to encourage him to be dishonest. Part of the attraction for my ds13 is that I dont approve, and that kids are not supposed to drink them.

Your son is 16. I am not sure I would forbid it. Hes getting old enough to wokr out these things for himself and take ownership of his own body. But I would rustle up some information about them and make sure he is well educated about them.

Sometimes I make my dd do an assignment on issues like this- make it a part of school. Then she does the research herself.

A few weeks ago, we discovered that our 16 yr old son was taking 5 hour energy shots. We told him to stop, saying that if he was tired, he needed to sleep, not take a supplememt. I personally think they make him on edge. Today, I found out he bought some more. Are they bad for teens? He has always been high strung, but lately he seems even more hyped up, but I don't know if that is from the supplement. How would you handle this situation?

Our doctors (all of mine and the kids' pediatrician) say to not take any of the "energy boosting" products. So we don't. I won't even let the kids have fake sugar. For sodas I try to limit the kids caffeine as well. But my kids have health issues and the doctors just say not to push our luck. These energy boost things can hurt the heart as a stimulant. Since all my kids have asthma and when they have to get breathing treatments their heart is stressed from the meds. Not taking chances and also one reason we will not medicate any of our kids with ADD/ADHD with ritalin, etc.

I was told it was much safer to give my kids a half cup of coffee if they really needed a jump start.