Menu

Does strep ever come WITHOUT fever?

We have passed around a virus here that has included some sinus stuff and sore throat. Everyone has gotten over it...except ds11. Every day his throat has hurt a little worse and the past couple days he has woken up with matted shut eyes. He does have allergies and this seems to be a high allergy time around here. We've had strep around here several times in years past but never without fever.

Any suggestions on what to do? Should I have him cultured just in case or am I wasting time and money? It doesn't seem like strep but I don't know what else we should do.

My son had strep without fever. Because there was no fever and he didn't complain, he ended up hospitalized for complications b/c we just didn't know it was there.

Have your son cultured. Better to know and treat than to let it go...

My oldest son had strep several times when he was young and he never had fever. The sign for us was impetigo on his nose area. We changed pediatricians once and the new one would not culture him just for impetigo on his nose. I brought him back a week later really, really sick and he finally did the culture. It was positive for strep. He apologized to me.

I would take him for a culture. It can be serious if you wait too long.

We all came down with strep a couple of years ago. I took the kids in, but was probably the sickest one. Their cultures came back positive, and mine was negative. It was a virus and they ended up giving me vicaden (sp?) for the unbearable pain. The kids got over it quicly, I was sick much longer. It is so painful, you really should get your DC in to a doctor and find out what is going on.

Kelly

Sounds like he might have post nasal drip. Have you tried giving him Emergen-C or an antihistamine before he goes to bed? Some of our kids have a real problem with that even if there nose isn't stuffy and isn't running. It still runs down the back of there throat while they sleep.

He could still have a sinus infection. My youngest had one for 5 months straight until I finally had enough and her ped put her on 3 weeks of a strong antibiotic. I would definitely take him in and get a culture done just to be sure especially if you've had strep going around in the house. It does sound like he needs to be on an antibiotic though. And yes its possible to have strep and no fever. My oldest has done that several times.

Hi, I don't usually post, but your heading caught my eye and had to say....

We are thick in the middle of what you are describing now. I have 6 boys and they have ALL had this virus. We took the first one in, the doc said it was viral and to wait it out.

I've got it now. I can tell you that my throat has never hurt like it has the last four days. It isn't very red at all, my eyes are matted in the morning, coughing so hard it hurts, runny nose (finally). But we all had a low grade fever. Like about 100.5.

Of course, since you haven't visited my family. ;) Your ds may have strep. I would take him in, just for the peace of mind.

We all have had this exact thing.

I've got it now. I can tell you that my throat has never hurt like it has the last four days. It isn't very red at all, my eyes are matted in the morning, coughing so hard it hurts, runny nose (finally). But we all had a low grade fever. Like about 100.5.

The kids got over it quickly, but my throat has been sore for what seems like a long time. I never even thought strep. I'm just drinking a lot of soup broth with a squeeze of lemon which helps a lot.

Yep, check it out. Strep is tricky. Many viruses can give you that awful, red, pus-pocked throat, but I think it's always good to be sure. FWIW, one of our peds once told me that strep can become dangerous at about the 13-day mark. That was his response when I asked him if I really had to bring'em in for cultures with every sore throat. So, in our house, if you still have a sore throat or feel yucky after 5 days, or, if it has been 3 days and it's Friday morning, that's when we go.

I do not know about strep in the sinuses, that would be hard to diagnose visually. I also had strep a lot in college, never with a fever, and one child who has had strep with nearly no symptoms at all.

My friend's daughter gets strep without the fever. My own son has had strep twice without a sore throat. His symptoms included a very high fever (104 deg) and a terrible headache. The first time he ended up getting a spinal tap to r/o meningitis and the second time, the wonderful doctor, on a whim, thought to try a strep test which came back positive and was treated without needing a spinal tap.

Strep can have zero symptoms. In younger children, the only symptom is often a stomachache. There have been times mine have only had a rash. Strep is a tricky booger.:glare:

Tricky booger, indeed! My son had strep without a sore throat at all, no symptoms. Our doctor insisted on taking a culture and I was shocked. Sure enough....

Very good advice. I did take him to the doctor and his throat was red and the right gland was very swollen. He did not have strep, which was both good news and bad news as our experience with strep is that they feel a whole lot better a day after starting the antibiotic. So we are left with fighting the virus for as long as it takes. And now dd4 has become the next victim. She started crying about her throat hurting about 4:00 today and now has a fever of 101 - proof that viruses can exhibit differently in different people. My worst symptoms were low grade fever and a headache that just wouldn't stop. My throat was only slightly sore but that has been ds's biggest complaint. DD18 is going for a retake on the ACT tomorrow (she made 30.4 the last time so we are hoping for just a slight bump up to qualify for a $10k scholarship.) Hopefully she will not be hurt by the virus. Thanks again for the reminder that it's better safe than sorry when it comes to these illnesses.