Menu

Does anyone else find planning science daunting?

I am just wondering if I am the only one. Trying to choose between the options available is tough. I want something rigorous and well thought out, open and go, all supplies included, must have LOTS of experiments, and be secular. It is an amazingly overwhelming task. Textbook or 'real' book? What publication year for Prentice Hall? Are the guys too young yet for it? Will NOEO really fit my serious science guys? Do I really want to do labs? The questions are endless!!!

This is one of the last areas I am wavering on. I am happy with just about everything else.

Thanks for 'listening'.

Particularly looking for secular choices that meet all the requirements you listed and that fit the WTM cycles. I really like focusing on one subject for the year. Next year I have just decided to go ahead and do the WTM approach for 5th grade Biology. It is certainly not open and go with all supplies included, but I think it is the best option for us. Good Luck!

Actually, I find science the easiest subject to plan. I don't worry about gaps. I don't stress about experiments. Science is our subject that is the most fun and the most interest driven. I know that interest driven, observation/question driven science isn't for everyone, but it has worked extremely well for our family. It is actually the subject that they tend to retain the most info with the least amount of mom-driven direction.

It is also the subject that they tend to "play" with on their own. They'll run inside b/c of something they have seen and pull out field guides, etc to find out more. I was extremely amazed by my 9 yod the other day. We have had flocks of birds landing in our back yard.....I have no earthly idea what they are. She is quite interested in birds, so I gave her a book called "Birds at a Glance" and she was pretty sure she had identified them correctly. Well, my ds brought his girlfriend here for spring break and she is a true bird watcher (her binoculars don't leave her side when she is outside). Dd asked her yesterday and she told her it wasn't the exact classificaation she had identified, but the black-eyed one. Heck.....she was right on the species!! I couldn't have come anywhere that close!!!

So, I guess my question to you is why do you find it so stressful to plan? As long as they are reading/observing/questioning science related topics, you are providing a solid base. Upper level science success doesn't hinge on the earlier yrs, except perhaps on an appreciation for it. If you could share your concerns, maybe others can help alleviate some of them.

I am just wondering if I am the only one. Trying to choose between the options available is tough. I want something rigorous and well thought out, open and go, all supplies included, must have LOTS of experiments, and be secular. It is an amazingly overwhelming task. Textbook or 'real' book? What publication year for Prentice Hall? Are the guys too young yet for it? Will NOEO really fit my serious science guys? Do I really want to do labs? The questions are endless!!!

This is one of the last areas I am wavering on. I am happy with just about everything else.

Thanks for 'listening'.

I use Singapore Science. It is rigorous, they scored very high on international tests. It is secular. It comes with tests, reviews, lab book, teacher guide, etc. These books aren't expensive. It does not come with lab equipment but then at the lower level you can be kind of sloppy about your planning and if you don't have the supplies you need around the house, you can run out to Wal-Mart and pick it up. The only exception to this was a microscope and I went ahead and ordered a high school quality microscope since I figured we'd be using one any way.

Singapore is not WTM-style, however it's the closest thing that I have found because,

1. There is no first and second grade levels. You can still choose biology for first and earth science the second year.

2. Singapore science covers only about two main topics per year and goes into those in depth.

3. Science seems to be done about 3 times a day so the other 2 days are spent casually reading science books for pleasure.

4. There is not a lot of reading in Singapore Science, the kids learn through doing and making inferences from the worksheets. You have time to read what you want to read outside of their program.

I'm planning science for the logic and rhetoric stages and I find it frustrating that there aren't any "open and go" secular programs for those ages.I'm leaning toward Oak Meadow although I'll probably have to read through it first to make sure I have all the supplies on hand when we need them.

I figure you'll appreciate this Karen...

First of all, it's not that I'm ready to be all loosey-goosey like you said Karen but I told dd7 that we can study whatever she wants to in science at any time within reason (and season) and she just bubbled over with excitement. We got "How Science Works" in the mail (via BookMooch) and she kept asking, "Mom, can we do this experiment? Mom, can we do that experiment?"

I told her that we can do any experiment she wants but she has to learn why we're doing the experiment. She asked why, in her head she thinks the experiments look "cool" and she wants to do them- she doesn't care about scientific method- so I told her that you wouldn't use a recipe that you didn't know what it would create- the same thing with experiments, you have to know what you're getting into so you don't blow up the house. She laughed.

We were in the car when all this happened by the way...she then gave me a laundry list of things she wants to study:

- planets and stars (we're doing this now)

- horses

- birds

- planting a garden

- wants to read stories that involve animals (she's loving Herriot right now)

- clouds

- rocks

I also told her on the days we can't go outside we'll do chemistry and physics experiments inside- she LOVED that.

Okay, I just wanted to share and expand on what Karen was saying.

I really found my balance this year when I realized I didn't have to do science at the same level all the time. We focus on it more in May and the summer and actually do a full curriculum (BJU or MWS). During the school year, we work our way through project books and experiment kits as we can. It's not my reality to get a full science program done weekly on top of everything else we do, and I had to admit that. But I can easily open a book, read a two page spread, and let her do the project/demonstration it shows. Some of the stuff we have done has been very cool too! It helps that she's a bit older now and finally able to do some of these things for herself. Your sig doesn't say the ages of your dc, but it may be something that will improve and get easier for you in a couple years. Just a thought.

But, honestly, I think that's true of most subjects, these days. I guess I've finally been at this long enough and feel secure enough that I rarely stress out over anything.

That is not to say that all goes well every day or that I don't make mistakes in selecting or implementing curriculum or whatever, just that it doesn't freak me out so much anymore.

And, truthfully, I find it's difficult to keep my kids from doing science, even if I never planned a lesson. For example, one pre-WTM year when my daughter was 8 or 9, we were very relaxed about homeschooling. At the end of the year, I went to put together my daughter's portfolio for her annual evaluation . . . and realized I had NO formal science for the entire year. (To this day, I don't understand how I let that happen. I can only say it was a very stressful year.) I freaked just a bit, then started going through my log book and the lists I had kept of field trips and books she'd read and educational shows she'd watched and so on. By the time I was done, I had put together the following list:

• 15 homeschool group classes at local nature preserve (which we did just because it was a fun group activity)
  • Activities from electricity kit (which she had done with her dad on weekends for fun)
  • Field trips to 2 science museums
  • Attendance at a day-long science event at the local university
  • Photos of the collection of seashells she had identified and classified
  • A list of several science-themed DVDs and TV shows she watched regularly

It was plenty.

With that said, I think I used to find science really scary because I thought of myself as being so ill equipped to handle it. Therefore, I thought it was highly important that I chose just the "right" curriculum. These days, I've relaxed, and I just approach science like I do everything else (well, maybe except for math, but that's another thread).

I just decide on a general theme or subject, choose a spine of some kind, add in extra resources, spread it out over the year and go.

And then I prepare to roll with the punches if things change.

For example, this year was supposed to be biology combined with marine science. I chose this route because my daughter was going to be here and had planned to take AP Bio and honors Marine Science with Florida Virtual School. So, I figured I'd plan something parallel for my son. I researched, sourced and bought resources and started figuring out how to put it all together. I paged through all the books and made lists of the supplies required to do various hands-on projects . . .

Then my daughter decided to go to college, instead. But, since I had the materials already on hand, we went ahead. As it turned out, though, my son's best friend is homeschooling this year, and his mom signed him up for twice-monthly classes at the science museum. The themes of these classes don't align in any way with what we're doing at home, but my son very much wanted to go with his friend.

As it has turned out, the classes are very good, and they include so many experiments and labs that we rarely bother to do much of that at home. So, science for this year has changed quite a bit from what I envisioned. He's still reading the materials I bought, but not doing many of the activities I had planned. And the focus or theme I had in mind has broadened considerably into sort of a general middle school science curriculum. But my son is happy and learning, so I just don't worry about it.

And, yes, I do have a plan for next year, one that I think sounds really cool. And I'm already buying books and sketching it out in my head. But, if we end up going in a different direction, that'll be okay, too.

--Jenny

I do because "I" do not like Science. It's very hard for "me" to get excited about it, so I find it hard to plan. I have learned a few things from this thread--reading why others don't find it daunting. But, here's my question. How would any of you who find it easy suggest that I get my dd's, grades 5 and 7 next year, excited about Science? I feel like that's one area where I have failed them. :confused:

Thanks for 'listening'.

Yes, I found science planning quite daunting, and to be honest, it was not covered consistently UNTIL I began using PH Science Explorer series. Now, we are doing science on a regular, consistent basis. This series is very well done, and well laid out. There are plenty of experiments, and most can be done with things from around the house. If you are into doing lots of experiments, then you will have to do some planning for supplies. This program is best suited for Middle School.

We just finished Earth's Waters c. 2000. It was excellent. I just purchased the TM for Animals on Amazon. It is c.2005, so I purchased the student text, new, from PH. I like having the TM available to me for the teaching ideas and answers to the questions. I don't think it matters whether you use 2000 ed., or newer ed. The only difference I have found so far is that they have a Standardized Test Prep section at the end of every chapter.

I love, love, love this series, and plan to use it through 8th grade.

I have easily planned all my other subjects except for science. I have been doing research and looking at threads, but I am still having problems deciding. I have a problem spending $200 on a kit when I don't know how we would do with it. On the other hand, I don't do well with the gathering supplies either.

Probably not much help, but I think anything you do related to science is beneficial for elementary age children. So, spending time at a science museum, doing science related field trips, watching science programming, reading books on science topics, taking nature walks or longer hikes, camping and enjoying nature, etc. are all valid science study.

I think living books for younger children help draw them in. I do like some more textish type books, too, such as the Fun with Atoms and Molecules books; the RD How _____ Works books; Elements intro to Chemistry (and the one covering organic chem, as well); Kym Wright's Botany study, etc. I think combining some of these with living books and field trips, experiments, etc. that are all related help to cement understanding of topics.

For middle school, I guess the most textish type books I like are the Prentice Hall books. The newer the edition, the more current the info (but they might also contain more errors, I don't know.....) Even then, I don't use those alone, but combine them with programming, field trips, living books, etc. on topic. As with history, the best way to avoid errors, omissions, etc. seems to me to be to read from a variety of authors. (I like a lot of the Eyewitness books for this age, as well.)

For adding in experiments, I like the Science in a Nutshell kits if you want to have things pulled together for you already. But with the Fun with Atoms and Molecules books, it was easy to run through them, make a grocery list, and have (pretty much) everything in the school room ready to roll when we needed it. Only things like fresh fruit needed to be purchased closer to use date. All Janice Van Cleave's experiment books are also great. You can go through during the summer and make a list of things you need, then shop once and get most of it ahead of school start.

I haven't used Noeo and I don't think I've ever looked at it in person, so can't really comment about it vs. other lower level programs out there. I believe someone might have a comparison of science programs - it might be at Paula's Archives....???? Not sure.....

Good luck on your search,

Regena

For the last year we have been just reading various library books about science subjects...not much rhyme or reason, just whatever we found. My dd loves science and really wants something more structured so, for next year, I went on a search for something secular, that uses real books and includes experiments. I ended up choosing NOEO Chemistry 1. I like that I will have everything on hand for science and we will probably continue to supplement with random science books from the library. Just wanted to let you know your not alone...it took me forever to finally settle on my science!

Thanks to all you ladies.

We have done the 'whatever they want to study' route. Thus, they have read pretty much all the library's shelves of science/animal books...literally. They would bring home entire shelves at a time from the library. They have done this with the history section as well.

So I am trying to find a more organized approach for this year. Our year starts in January and we go year round. Right now, they are reading RS4K Chem 1. I wanted a series we could follow along with for a while. They are 9 and 11 yrs. old.

Anyone tried the ScottForesman Diamond Science for the younger set? So year doesn't really matter then for the Science Explorer series? Are the three combined volumes the same as the little books?

I have looked at My Pals Are Here and I-Science. They looked, well babyish...for my guys even at the 5th grade level. I also checked out NOEO. My hubby wants to do that one. Maybe I will get it for him!

Since they both want to be scientists, I do stress a bit over this one subject. Math was a biggie, too until we started using R&S.

Thank you all again.

Training5-A grade leveled text with a standard sequence and lots of variety can be a GREAT thing! It will give you the confidence that you're covering enough topics but flexibility to take some rabbit trails down them and spend more time on the things that interest you. You could do the textbook spread out over the year, expanding interesting chapters, OR you could do the textbook during the regular school year and more project-driven kits and things during the summer. I've said in the past that I think my weakness going into high school science was experiences, not conceptual knowledge, so I think as long as you're giving them some fact study and some experiences, a balance, they're going to be fine! You might also google to read GVA's posts, as she's a scientist/professor and has a similar view, balancing a spine textbook with extra experiments as things.

It's the implementation. We've got Noeo Chem 1 (from last year!). I got to the third week, and we were supposed to design an experiment with a control group after reading the relevant portion in How to Think Like a Scientist. DD wanted to track how cranky she was during the day based on how much sleep she'd gotten the night before. Not exactly objective study! I hit a brick wall with that, and haven't done any science since then. I just couldn't skip over it; I think I was afraid I was pushing past something foundational that would come back to bite us in the butt later. I guess that's letting "the perfect be the enemy of the good." :(

I had dd read most of the other books from Noeo, but we haven't used any of the cool experiments, other than the molecule kit and the salad dressing experiment. I didn't even choose a physics program this year because of it. Dh does great teaching science... when he gets around to it, which is almost never. Just this week I've been thinking about pulling out the stuff and just forging ahead.

Wish me luck. At least next year I get to start fresh in biology. Any recommendations for 5th, 1st and K?

I agree with Jenny in Florida that science is one of the most fun/social subjects that we study, since we take every opportunity to enroll in museum classes, univ. workshops, etc. There are a lot of these opportunities in our area, and we have always been able to achieve our goals of learning good, hands-on science, and having fun with friends!

Mostly because it's a subject that I'm not interested in. I'm always afraid that I'm short-changing the dc with my non-interest, and I really try and hide the fact that I could care less. I do like taking walks and pointing out things in nature, but beyond that I'm hopeless.

That makes picking a science text daunting, 'cause I have NO big picture idea whatsoever.

We'll probably outsource in middle/high school or choose a DVD program.