Menu

So, you have a 4mo old baby....and (female content)

UPDATE ON PG 3 - you wake up really early, your brain starts thinking, "gee, I feel like I should be cycling about now" -- so you check your calendar and yup, sure enough you're over due (2-3 days).

AND you have an IUD!?!

Do you start laughing and crying now?

Or wait for the test, and then start laughing and crying? :glare:

I am not freaking out. I am not all kinds of upset.

A pregnancy now, while completely unplanned and unexpected, would be incredibly funny in too many ways -- but especially because of the IUD thing.

Of course... it could always be stress.

Edited by LisaK in VA

I have the copper kind... so no hormone issues. I have a feeling we're going to be testing on the road today (we have swimming lessons, and then we are off to the HEAV convention).

DH isn't awake yet... not sure how I want to break this to him.

Well, I've gotten pregnant with an IUD (didn't go well, but it was the Mirena).

I've also gotten pregnant while having a 4 month old baby.

So I will let you in my club. ;)

Definitely test and call your hcp if it's positive. They'll want to remove the IUD and do ultrasounds soon after to make sure the bean is in the right place!

Are you breastfeeding? It could be that your period may disappear again if the baby is nursing a lot at night for a growth spurt or something.

that was my first thought. BF slows down hormone production (I've been using a progesterone cream for headaches from far too little progesterone, it's fromt he BF)

either way it goes, i wish you happiness.:grouphug:

Yes, I am BFding.. as I have for all 5. And this would be the first time I missed, was late, or otherwise had a kink in my cycle due to that... yeah, I'm weird. I know. BELIEVE me, I know :glare:/

I'll be buying a test...

Still don't know what to say to Shaun this morning.

I had an IUD and was constantly late. I would have a normal cycle for 2 months, then miss a month. It took me a while to get used to this. I too had a panicked conversation with dh about said lateness. I also had a party when the test was negative. (I love my kids, but didn't want them that close together.) So, take the test if it will put your mind at ease. Mine always came back negative though.

"honey, we played and the rabbit might have died"?

:grouphug: Hang in there - and enjoy the convention and everything that plays out....

This is funny! I wonder how many women on here know what your "the rabbit might have died" comment means.... (yes...I know pregnant...but do they know why the rabbit died??)

Carrie:-)

I just had a major panic, myself, and I have the same IUD. Its old, though, and believe me- after this, I *will* be going to get a new one/get it checked/whatever it is you do when they "expire".

It was stress for me- an international move, inlaws, national competition for DD, you name it, it happened. But I was 2 cycles late, and boy was I sweating it.

Let us know!

I haven't gotten pregnant with an IUD, but I did get pregnant while faithfully taking bc pills 16 years ago. My OB told me I was part of the 3% club. :001_smile:

Nothing is 100% effective. Give us an udate later. Children are always, always a blessing.

I was often late or early with my copper IUD. That thing really messed up my cycle and caused lots of other problems that I won't go into here. Once it was out, I was fine again. I wouldn't freak out too much until you take a test. If it comes back positive, you need to see the doctor right away because an IUD can really complicate a pregnancy.

I hope things turn out well for you :grouphug:

I was just wondering if your cycle had already started up again since having the baby, are you still waiting? I know my cycle took longer to start up with each subsequent child. Also I concur with the poster concerning breastfeeding. I know with my last it was 14 months and I panicked all the time. I have an IUD and I know that it can cause you to miss or not have them at all. My newest dc is almost 9 months now and no signs of starting yet. Good luck!:001_smile:

I have never used an IUD before so no help on that one, but did get pg with #2 when #1 was only 5.5 weeks old. He was 10 weeks old and I still remember the feeling that came over me, more shock than when I learned I was pg with the first. I get to be one of those lucky ladies who's cycles return to normal when the baby is 6-8 weeks old even while bfing and always right on time unless I am pg.

Take a test, call your dr to have the IUD removed if it is positive, and of course most important of all, let us know what the test result is.

Yes, I am BFding.. as I have for all 5. And this would be the first time I missed, was late, or otherwise had a kink in my cycle due to that... yeah, I'm weird. I know. BELIEVE me, I know :glare:/

I'll be buying a test...

Still don't know what to say to Shaun this morning.

How about, "Shaun, you are never allowed to come near me again" ?

Kidding. I would love another babe.

Okay - am I the only one who thought you were going to go ride a bike this morning? (Cycling??) LOL

No idea about the IUD, but I just had to comment! I wish you the best and please update!!! I'll be thinking about you all day until you do!

No. I was also wondering why she felt she needed to be cycling really early in the morning. :huh:

Do keep us updated!

I would love to have a cycle!!! Some women have all the luck. The rest of us don't get our cycles back even though our babies sleep 10-12 hours/night by 3mo or have weaned down to one nursing/day. grrrrrrr But then that would mean I'd have to DTD and that's just not on my top 100 things-to-do list right now. ;)

This is funny! I wonder how many women on here know what your "the rabbit might have died" comment means.... (yes...I know pregnant...but do they know why the rabbit died??)

Carrie:-)

I know! I saw it on a rerun of MASH! Hot Lips thought she might be pregnant and so poor Radar put his pet bunny up for the test.

If you are concerned, definitely test. I think I was a week late when it dawned on my DH I might be pregnant (I didn't know what the man was talking about). He was right. Brandon is the result of a failed CopperT IUD. My boys were quite a bit older (Okay they were 15mos when I found out I was pregnant) though and my period was very annoyingly regular at the time it was late.

So.......What are the results??????

I'm on the edge of my seat here! Come on! You've gotta test now.

(Although, I think between the breastfeeding and the IUD, your body has ample reason to be late.)

Also, I want another baby and hubby says to wait, so I'm living vicariously on other people's accidental pregnancy stories......

Sorry, we had swim lessons and then we were off to Richmond for the Convention.

The test was negative (whoo-hoo!) Althouh, like I said, I found it more comical than anything, mainly because this would be the 2nd BC baby in a row.... a 3% and then a what? .01%???

Like another poster, I'm just one of those "lucky" few who start regularly cycling when the baby is 6-8 weeks old. In fact, I had *just finished) my 1st cycle when they placed the IUD at 8weeks pp.

So, I'm late... could be any number of things. Hormones. Stress. IUD doing who knows what.

I think I'll keep some PTests on hand just in case, for future reference. (I tested at the YMCA this morning... wasn't waiting).

Thanks for all of the great wishes.

I'm not opposed to having another baby, just would prefer them to be not so close (and dog-gone it, I'd like to be in our house, and have my surgery too!) In fact, I really think Shaun and I will try for an even half-dozen at some point :D

Thanks everyone. My 5am "crisis" is a false alarm.

Glad you didn't get a little surprise too soon.

I couldn't imagine it. I'd be freaking out if I was pregnant again so soon. I'm used to starting anovulatory cycles at 11 months with ovulation starting at 12/13 months.