Menu

Help me choose a Spelling curriculum

greenmamato3

i'm having a terrible time deciding on a spelling curriculum for fall for my DS (6) who will be "doing" 1st grade . . .

factors:

-will have completed Phonics Museum K and 1 by fall

-will have completled Phonics Pathways as well, or nearly done, by the fall

-reads at about a late 1st grade level already, and is getting better everyday!

-visual learner/kinesthetic

-we've used Explode the Code and he's is the 4th book, getting ready for the 5th. these work well for him. plan to continue, i THINK.

-is a good writer and doesn't mind copying lists/reading them . . . no frills approach. doesn't need a cartoon or a puzzle to convince him to do it, but he enjoys the occasional "game" on paper, you know?

-is learning (slowly) to be an independent worker, but this is something that i'm also intentionally trying to foster in him b/c his preference would be for me to spend my whole day sitting right next to him holding his hand....i have another one who will be informally starting K and a 12 month old.

-he's a GREAT speller to begin with

-we're going to do WWE & FLL

-he's done with HWoutTears ... i'm doing copywork to perfect skills till we start cursive in 2nd grade

spelling workout A is WAAAAAAAAY too easy. i've looked at that.

i'm considering spelling power

i have also looked at phonetic zoo but am assuming he's not quite ready for it

should i just hold off until he IS ready for phonetic zoo? what would i do to get him ready for it?

i'd appreciate thoughts and help! :)

I really like All About Spelling. It doesn't require independent work though, which was one of your goals. We do it for the first 20 minutes of each school day. After that, dd does seatwork, and I help my youngest dd play with the tiles and markers. She actually spells better than she reads. :001_huh:

if i do the Reason for Spelling, should i continue Explode?

How do you know where to start with the Reason for Spelling? Is there a placement test he can take before i purchase curriculum?

what would be your thoughts on spelling power vs. "All about" and "Reason" . . .

i'm not "married" to it not being independent. :)

nevermind i just realized that SW is on SCM and for pete's sake the first level would be MORE than fine since it's grade 3,4,5. i just think it might be a bit redundant since i'm also going to be using WWE and FLL . . . too much overlap. i think WWE, FLL, ETC, AND SW would be overload!!!

hmmm. should i just cut out ETC? should i just use ETC until level 8 and then go to phonetic zoo?

My dd will be in 1st next year and is reading about a 2nd grade level. I'm going with A Reason for Spelling. It looks pretty straightforward, without a lot of frills or being time consuming.
We've used this program since dd#1 and love it!

How do you know where to start with the Reason for Spelling? Is there a placement test he can take before i purchase curriculum?

I don't know about a test to determine what level to begin with. Level A is very, very easy yet I begin with that even if my dc is a great speller just to get them familiar with the program. What I really like is that each level is set up exactly the same way so I can do spelling with all of my dc at the same time. The only involvement from me is on Monday when I give the pretest, Wednesday when I give the sentences, and Thursday when I give the final test (in the form of a game which is in the book). The thing I like most about R. for Spelling is the variety of activities: root words, dictation, alphabetizing, proofreading, etc. Levels A and B have a good chunk of phonics review before the actually spelling begins; I skipped these sections because we'd done phonics enough and I found it unnecessary, yet it's nice that it is included if additional phonics work is needed.

• 2 weeks later...

i've actually decided to do the Natural Speller at first and give it a GOOD 1-2 months and then if that doesn't go well or isn't enough, i'm going to order AAS( .... or SWO??).

i'd love thoughts on that.

could anybody tell me what SWO B starts out with? like what kinds of words?

nevermind i just realized that SW is on SCM and for pete's sake the first level would be MORE than fine since it's grade 3,4,5. i just think it might be a bit redundant since i'm also going to be using WWE and FLL . . . too much overlap. i think WWE, FLL, ETC, AND SW would be overload!!!

Hate to add to the abbreviations, but The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading (PR) would cover all these areas beautifully. It requires your time and attention for spelling, but the program does a fantastic job of teaching spelling. I am amazed at the difference in the 2 children who have used it and their spelling abilities. Nice. Really nice.

strangely enough i looked at the PR last night.

unfortunately, i'm already committed to the FLL, WWE, and i hate to purchase more curriculum at this point .....

i have realized that there are SOOOOO many great programs out there, and the main thing is to choose one that you feel is right for your child and to stop second guessing every single move you make. i have really been STUCK in a "i can't make a decision about anything" mode lately b/c i've been doing TOO much learning about WAY too many different programs. :) i just need to remember that somehow or another, he'll get it all, and i can't make every single little thing perfect for him or us ..... :)

i thought about buying the PR for my DD for when she's officially in K ... but .... i want to give her time and just plug away with the phonics pathways and phonics museum that i have already and am familiar with. i can always switch midstream with HER more easily than with him.

she's only 4.5 right now ... she is trying to learn the sounds each letter makes still . . . and she's auditory / kinesthetci learner, very active, a just a TINY twinge "blonde" every once in a while ;) but she's really really "Street smart" which is what my son IS NOT. and she's WAY more adaptable and resilient than he could ever hope to be! LOL they are complete and utter opposites!!!!!!!