Menu

Online writing classes or tutorials for beginners?

Online writing course or tutorial for beginning writer? I am looking for a online writing course or tutorial for my 6th grader soon to be 7th. By beginning writing, I mean she has never had a formal writing course although she has written paragraphs and short papers for classes. I would like to find something systematic which she could do with any outside teacher since she takes everyone's advice better than mine. Since I hate to edit, I figure this is one subject to pawn off to someone else. I know I used someone for my oldest child but that was so long ago that I can't remember who or what service it was. I didn't need to do anything like that with number two because she was very happy to write and writes well and doesn't object to editing.

My oldest did WriteGuide (tutoring online) then a Write@Home class. My son will be using Home2Teach this year. The thing I like about Home2Teach is they evaluate the writing to make sure they put the student in the correct class. Then each 6 weeks, they make suggestions on which class to move to next (or to stay in the current class another term). I like that it's systematic and has a classroom component (online) also. The other two programs were okay for my daughter, but my son needs the more structured but self-leveling approach.

Have you looked at the Bravewriter online classes? I'm considering them. Anyone have any experience?

I have used brave writer for several years, and we have done several of their online classes. It is best to check out the philosophy of it on the website so you get a feel for it. There is a lot of information there. http://www.bravewriter.com

My oldest did WriteGuide (tutoring online) then a Write@Home class. My son will be using Home2Teach this year. The thing I like about Home2Teach is they evaluate the writing to make sure they put the student in the correct class. Then each 6 weeks, they make suggestions on which class to move to next (or to stay in the current class another term). I like that it's systematic and has a classroom component (online) also. The other two programs were okay for my daughter, but my son needs the more structured but self-leveling approach.

:iagree: for all the same reasons. I also like the fact that the courses are only for 6 weeks- even though they are meaty- because they are not too much of a financial commitment up front.