Menu

TV ad volume

You know, I really hate it when the commercials are too loud.

BUT on the other hand...

...I really hate big government.

Why does the GOVERNMENT have to step in and regulate the volume of our tvs?

What happened to the American pioneer spirit? Must we really be protected from noisy commercials? Are we all so helpless that we can't turn it down ourselves? Ma in Little House on the Prairie would be appalled by our dependence on the government to take care of us, even noisy commercials. I mean, they were willing to starve to death rather than expect to be taken care of when they were snowed in with blizzards--(can you see what's on our reading list this week...)

Will the government ever stop trying to make EVERYTHING against the law?

Wow. What a rant. Stepping down...

Edited by Garga

You know, I really hate it when the commercials are too loud.

BUT on the other hand...

...I really hate big government.

Why does the GOVERNMENT have to step in and regulate the volume of our tvs?

What happened to the American pioneer spirit? Must we really be protected from noisy commercials? Are we all so helpless that we can't turn it down ourselves? Ma in Little House on the Prairie would be appalled by our dependence on the government to take care of us, even noisy commercials. I mean, they were willing to starve to death rather than expect to be taken care of when they were snowed in with blizzards--(can you see what's on our reading list this week...)

Will the government ever stop trying to make EVERYTHING against the law?

Wow. What a rant. Stepping down...

On the other hand - who gave them the right to invade our space and up the volume? Big Brother isn't only the government. He is the ad execs who lobby and get the ability to control the volume in my home.

What the article doesn't point out (and the legislators may not know) is that there is a "trick" to this business.

Even if they limit the volume to the highest peak the situation will remain basically unchanged. What? Why do you say that?

Because that's the was it already works. The "trick" part is that heavy audio proceeding is done on commercial audio tracks. There are two related processing filters "dynamic compression" and "peak limiting" that in essence make everything near the limit of maximum loudness, and reduce "peaks" in loudness so that brief spike doesn't set the ceiling.

So the loudest parts stay just with-in the limits, while everything else rises to near the limits.

The commercials are actually not louder than the peaks in a television show, they just (through careful audio engineering) stay at or near the peaks in the "shouting" type ads.

Not every ad does this in an extreme way, because it can turn people off. But when an ad seems really LOUD it's because of "limiting/compression".

Bill