Menu

Ds did not get into the Cinema program at VCU, but...

Chris in VA

he is still going to go to VCU for the fall--he's just in the sort-of "general" Arts and Sciences program for now. He can reapply next year, and knock out some general ed classes and classes for his second major (all Cinema students have to double major).

Now his dilemma is, Art History (which he knows nothing about) or History as a second major? Dad is pushing History, I don't know, and it should be interesting to find out where things go from here! :D

Sounds like a good plan, Chris. He'll already be acclimated and VCU will be "home" by the time he applies next year.

Interesting that all cinema majors have to double major - my dd has eliminated some schools where you can only double major or minor, but not both.

I hope he enjoys his first year at VCU and that his application will be accepted next year.

Has he expressed an interest in Art History? I can see a connection in that Art History might be the 2- or 3-D equivalent of pre-electronic cinema.

Regards,

Kareni

I'm sorry to hear he didn't get in the cinema major on the first pass, but perhaps next year after he has a few credits under his belt he'll be able to make the switch.

I think the second major is a great idea for cinema students and as you pointed out, that way there will not be any "time" lost in working towards the reapplication for the specific major.

I hope VCU will be all that he is dreaming of, I know my ds is very excited about going off to Drexel next fall.

• 1 month later...

So sorry -- and I hope he gets in next year.

Majoring in art history has one funny advantage that my dd (who is doubp-majoring in art history) wasn't aware of until she actually sat down and looked at the courses required -- art history requires some hands-on studio art classes.

I would imagine that some of the studio art classes might be somewhat relevant to cinema -- my dd had to take a design class that spent the whole semester looking at colors (color matching, looking at the effect different colors have on OTHEr colors and also on the viewer) and at patterns (again, looking both at matching them / coordinating them and also at the effect they have on the viewer). I would imagne that other studio art classes would also be relevant to cinema in a back-door kind of way.

(I could also argue that some history would be relevant to cinema.......!)