Menu

History for 5th

Fran51

I really like the look of the Core Knowledge Pearson Learning History/Geography Level 5, but it's out of my price range.

Is there something similar to CK? Would using the What Every 5th Grader Should Know chapter on History/Geography as a spine be enough?

Any other relatively inexpensive history/geography suggestions for a 5th grader?

Thanks so much.:)

What are you trying to cover for 5th grade? Are you doing the four year cycle, and if so what year, or do you want U.S. History, which is common for the 5th-6th grade level?

There are free lesson plans for the Core Knowledge on a website out there. I can't remember exactly where, it's been a year since I looked at it...but thinking it was a University website...you could do a search for it, and it will come up.

hth

What are you trying to cover for 5th grade? Are you doing the four year cycle, and if so what year, or do you want U.S. History, which is common for the 5th-6th grade level?

There are free lesson plans for the Core Knowledge on a website out there. I can't remember exactly where, it's been a year since I looked at it...but thinking it was a University website...you could do a search for it, and it will come up.

hth

I'm interested in world history (Renaissance, Reformation, Exploration, and forward), and American history (Civil War, westward expansion, Native Americans, and forward).

Was hoping for a thorough, interesting, affordable program. So much out there to choose from, it seems, and I'm not familiar with the majority of them.

Thanks.

Anyone have favorite ready-made program ideas that would save time on the planning end?? Is History Odyssey a good one? TIA.

We haven't actually used it yet but I have spent serious time looking it over. It seems like the author took the WTM principles for Ancient History and basically wrote it up in a syllabus. With the exception of finding the maps, I could have done it myself.

That said, for only around $32 dollars (I bought it from Rainbow Resource) it's not bad. We have done Sonlight the last 2 years so I'm used to spending a LOT more money and reading a LOT more books!! So, I'm just adding in a ton of books (which I can afford this year since history cost me $32 instead of $500). The problem is, now I have no reading notes or discussion questions on the books and have to make them up myself:confused:. To fix that, I decided to buy a used SL Core 6 IG and chose a lot of readers from their reading list.

I'm excited about next year. I think the HO will keep us accountable to actually do the mapping and outlining that SL never did. But, it's light enough compared to what we are used to with SL that we'll add in tons of good books.

Okay, I'm rambling....History Odyssey Level 2 Ancient Times is what I bought. Bottom line, it's the WTM recs laid out in a syllabus with maps added in.

HTH!