Menu

Orton Gillingham method and Programs

What is the best book/website/training DVD that explains the method?

I want to understand the method fully so that I can implement it, but I am not really interested in any specific program. I've looked at so many, they all cost a lot, and they are very inflexible. We are using Explode the Code with some success with my 6yo and 8yo. All About Spelling seems to be working with my 11yo and just knowing the phonograms is helping his reading.

I just want to know how to use the method so I can do it without paying $$$$ for programs. I do have the money for the first module of Barton, but I would need to be doing 3 different modules at a time! Besides, my 2 younger ones can't pass the student screening, so they need LiPS, but it is another $400.

I am looking at Wilson, but there aren't really any samples on their website. I hate to buy something that I can't see before I spend a chunk of money on it. I can't figure out which books I would need for each child.

I think I could adapt other materials that I already have to the O-G method if I knew how to do it. I might take the 10-hour training offered by EPS, but the 30 hour training is $995 (in Orlando in November.)

Preventing Academic Failure looks really good for me, but it is also expensive.

Just not sure what to do!

I have been exploring the same thing here. I have decided to go with the Sonday System. http://winsorlearning.com/ It costs $390.00 but it is 10% off until July 1. I also cannot afford the training that will be in my town in a couple of weeks but I am taking a local workshop later this summer and they have recommended this in the past. They do have a couple of videos on their site and it looks like something I can work with pretty easily. I am also thinking of the online class from EPS. I would eventually like to take more training but now just isn't a good time for me.

Well, the Spalding Method is based on O-G. Why not just check that out? Spell to Write and Read also has O-G roots, although it's closest "related" to Spalding.

SWR and WRTR are not O-G programs. They are based on the method (teaching the phonograms and rules) but I found that it was not incremental enough to work for my dyslexic boys. Wasn't WRTR adapted for the instruction of non-dyslexic dc?

ETA: I am going to try and explain the problem. Take my 8yo, for example. He knows all the sounds that the first 26 phonograms make, but he struggles and struggles with actual reading. He is truly dyslexic and it extends to math and writing as well. We did SWR with my oldest ds (and I looked at WRTR and there is very little difference) - it incorporated too many rules at one time. He needs to overlearn one rule before moving on to the next. My 6yo is still trying to learn the phonogram sounds - the 4 a day recommended by WRTR and SWR is not even close to being realistic (it takes him weeks to learn one.)

Edited by Renee in FL

When I was a Special Ed teacher several years ago, I tried to implement the OG approach without the training and found it very difficult. Since then, I have been trained in the approach (not a specific program), and I can say that it was worth every last dime spent.

Is it possible that you could spend the money to be trained and then tutor other children to make your money back? I charge $25/hour (which is actually a little on the low side). I do not see any students for less than twice/week. At that rate, it really does not take very long to make it worth the up-front cost.

As far as programs go, I recommend training in the approach first, because it just gives you so much more flexibility.

If you want to implement an OG based program without training, I have heard excellent reviews of All About Spelling, and it sounds very much in line with the OG approach. However, I have not actually used it, so I must stop short of a full-hearted recommendation. I have seen presentations of the Sonday system, and it looks really good as well.

HTH!

I don't think it is always easy to tutor. I have young children and it just isn't feesable.

O-G training in our area is around $1,000.

I wish they had a basic DVD version of it or would give a mini-lesson at homeschool conventions.

Dawn

When I was a Special Ed teacher several years ago, I tried to implement the OG approach without the training and found it very difficult. Since then, I have been trained in the approach (not a specific program), and I can say that it was worth every last dime spent.

Is it possible that you could spend the money to be trained and then tutor other children to make your money back? I charge $25/hour (which is actually a little on the low side). I do not see any students for less than twice/week. At that rate, it really does not take very long to make it worth the up-front cost.

As far as programs go, I recommend training in the approach first, because it just gives you so much more flexibility.

If you want to implement an OG based program without training, I have heard excellent reviews of All About Spelling, and it sounds very much in line with the OG approach. However, I have not actually used it, so I must stop short of a full-hearted recommendation. I have seen presentations of the Sonday system, and it looks really good as well.

HTH!

Here is a website that has a basic instruction in OG approach for around $100..you can call them, they are very nice! I didn't get this one because I wanted more of a daily plan, like Barton but..you might do well w/ this..

Sensational Strategies for Teaching Beginning Readersâ„¢ R3240 Price: $109.95

It is OG based and you can find it here http://www.orton-gillingham.com/

Complete training program includes:

• Parent Manual: complete step-by-step instruction
  • 55-minute Instructional DVD: demonstrates two complete lessons
  • Handwriting Guide
  • Alphabet Card Pack
  • Sensational Sand
  • Red Crayon
  • Plastic Word Screen
  • Letter Formation Paper
  • Vowel Pictures

My nearly 8 yo can't pass the Barton screening test either. We have LiPS and we've gotten through the first section that teaches the consonants. I am still planning to go back to it and go through at least the vowels.

However, the one program that my dd has had the most success with is based on the Distar program rather than OG. It is Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and cost only $16.50 on Amazon. She had a hard time with blending, but we just kept at it and she's gotten much better. The way 100 EL teaching blending really helped her over that hump. 100EL moves very slowly, teaching one new sound at a time, and it includes phonemic awareness, reading comprehension, and picture study. The pictures that go with the stories are hidden until after the child reads the story, so they can't use the picture to guess at the words.

She is nearly finished with 100EL and she is so excited about being able to read the stories. We've gotten to the part where the stories are written in normal print without the visual supports (long vowels marked, silent letters written in a smaller font, etc) and the transition was not difficult. If she makes a mistake, I just remind her of the rule.

If you have a copy of the spelling rules from SWR, that is helpful for explaining words that have silent e with a short vowel sound and that sort of thing. (Ex. English words don't end with v, so the e is there to hold up the v, not to make the vowel say its name.)

After reading that discussion that I linked in your earlier thread, I am re-thinking trying AAS again after 100EL and some more work in LiPS. I still have Level 1 sitting on my shelf, so it won't cost me anything extra. The last time we tried it, it didn't work, but maybe she just wasn't ready for it. And if it doesn't work again, we can always move on to Barton.

Another cheaper resource for developing phonemic awareness is Literacy Leaders from http://www.epsbooks.com. You can download a sample to try before you decide whether to buy it or not. The cost is $31.95. Reading poetry is free and effective for developing the ability to recognize rhyming words.

Hope something here helps.

"Multisensory Teaching of Basic Language Skills"

This was more helpful to me than the Gillingham Manual, which I started out with. You'll also need to gather or make support materials, find controlled readers for reading practice, etc. Wilson and Lindamood also sell teacher training videos that I found very helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Multisensory-Teaching-Basic-Language-Skills/dp/1557666768/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244735593&sr=1-1

I don't think it is always easy to tutor. I have young children and it just isn't feesable.

O-G training in our area is around $1,000.

I wish they had a basic DVD version of it or would give a mini-lesson at homeschool conventions.

Dawn

This would be my problem as well - I have 5 children 8 and under and it is very difficult for me to work outside the home. The training is almost $1000 plus travel expenses - it just isn't possible for me to do that.

Thanks everyone. I ordered the Gillingham Manual and hopefully that will fill in some gaps for me.

The PAF program was my next choice, but adding in all those Merrill readers was very, very expensive.

I have AAS 1, Explode the Code, and the Sonlight readers (which are phonetically controlled and follow the exact sequence of ETC.) We are also using HWOT - my 8yo "draws" letters instead of writing them. I learned with my oldest son that this is NOT good and I hope to stop him from doing that - my 11yo has illegible handwriting and has to think how to form every letter because of that. I hope to learn more about the O-G method and adapt what I have to work with it.

Elizabeth, I really hope that 100 EZ Lessons works for your dd - it is a lot cheaper than Barton!

I am a very visual learner - between the book and various You Tube videos showing O-G tutoring, I may be able to muddle through on my own.

I was thinking about the tutoring - could I do it, would it be worth it, etc. Then I remembered how much I hate teaching reading and decided to not even go there in my thoughts! :roflol:

This would be my problem as well - I have 5 children 8 and under and it is very difficult for me to work outside the home. The training is almost $1000 plus travel expenses - it just isn't possible for me to do that.

Okay. I can understand that. It sounds like you probably will have to try something along the lines of the Sonday system.

I have not heard of these instructional programs some of the other posters are mentioning. They may be excellent, but I would encourage you to try to find someone who has already used them before spending the money. There is a reason that Orton training cost so much. The first level, or basic class, is really the equivalent of a Bachelor's level course condensed into (usually) around two weeks. The advanced class is on the level of a Master's course. It is rigorous. Both require teaching lessons under supervision of a "Master Tutor".

All this to say, just choose with your eyes wide open. Realize that what you choose to do may be a perfect fit for you child--but it may not. That is the downside of trying to do it yourself. More tweaking may be in order, and it does not necessarily mean that an Orton approach won't work.

I have used the Orton approach for over 10 years now, and have only had 2 children not do well on it. Both had long-term memory problems, and neither had been diagnosed with dyslexia. Their parents just wanted to try it anyway.

BTW, I can see why your dyslexic children are having trouble with SWR. I have looked at it and believe that it would move too fast for most children with dyslexia.

I hope you are able to figure something out soon! :)

It looks like you've rec'd some great info. I did OG tutoring when I was in grad school and the first few years out ---but ran out of time. When my first was dx I didn't tutor him myself --I was still of the mindset that parents couldn't be teachers--so we paid for him to have an OG tutor at our local Dyslexia clinic. By the time number 3 came along and we were hsing I realized how wrong I had been. Anyway, since I no longer had the materials to use I attempted for a year to implement what I remembered and made up my own with number 3. After his eval though I had rec'd recommendations from his pyschologist, the Dev. Ped and a psychiatrist to use Wilson bec it had the Fundations component for young children. We used the Fundations K/1st program and in 6 months time his reading jumped from below K to mid 2nd grade level. I have also used ---although not as faithfully as I should have ---the Wilson program for teaching number 2 spelling skills ---so I have Fundations from K through and the complete Wilson set. If you have specific questions about Wilson I would be glad to try to provide you answers.

If you want to see the Fundations program --you can go to the http://www.wilsonlanguage.com site and click on Fundations --then click on the sample and it will allow you to download a sample of the program. I don't recall that function being avail for the full program.

Wow, I'm impressed that your dd can learn with 100EZ Lessons! That's what I started with for my now 13yo dd and it was impossible for both of us!

I'm just relieved we found something that works for her, because being a non-reader was really starting to bother her. Just today, she was flipping through the book and looking at how much longer the stories are now than at the beginning. She still can't just pick up a book and read it on her own, but at least she's made progress. I kind of dread going back to the LiPS program after 100EL, because 100EL is so much easier to teach, but she still needs a lot of work on her phonemic awareness.

If you want to see the Fundations program --you can go to the http://www.wilsonlanguage.com site and click on Fundations --then click on the sample and it will allow you to download a sample of the program. I don't recall that function being avail for the full program.

I did look at Fundations, but didn't pursue it because it would only work for 2 of the 3. When I have more money, I may look at it again. My 11yo can read at about a 4th grade level already, but writes and spells much lower.

I would actually *like* to have someone else tutor them because of the time factor - I will have 4 doing school this fall, 2 preschoolers, and I will have to generate some income somehow (babysitting? bookkeeping? something else?) It is also hard to have uninterrupted one-on-one time with each boy with so many around. However, I understand that it isn't possible at this time, so we will have to muddle through as best we can.

I did think about Reading Reflex - I might get the book in order to have the phonemic awareness lessons at the beginning. If that doesn't work, then we might at least try Barton Level 1.

Have you tried ABeCeDarian? I used to be a big O-G fan, but am now a convert. O-G is very rule based, and it was much too rule-intensive for my dyslexic son. He did much better with ABCD, which is very explicit and sequential, but avoids rules. There are many converts to ABCD who have mostly ditched O-G programs because they are finding ABCD highly effective and so much easier to implement. It's also cheap.

If you are interested, you might want to join the ABCD Yahoo group. Michael Bend, the author, is a frequent poster and very helpful.

Have you tried ABeCeDarian? I used to be a big O-G fan, but am now a convert. O-G is very rule based, and it was much too rule-intensive for my dyslexic son. He did much better with ABCD, which is very explicit and sequential, but avoids rules. There are many converts to ABCD who have mostly ditched O-G programs because they are finding ABCD highly effective and so much easier to implement. It's also cheap.

If you are interested, you might want to join the ABCD Yahoo group. Michael Bend, the author, is a frequent poster and very helpful.

Thanks for mentioning this! The school district we are moving into is listed as one of the school districts currently implementing the program and collecting research data on the program. As homeschoolers registered with the county, supposedly they can receive services, so I will defintely look into this!

I would actually *like* to have someone else tutor them because of the time factor

Have you looked into the Scottish Rite Freemason Learning Centers? They offer Orton-Gillingham tutoring for kids with dyslexia for FREE. They have centers all over the country.

I did think about Reading Reflex - I might get the book in order to have the phonemic awareness lessons at the beginning.

This is my personal favorite. My brother had dyslexia, and my mom said he had trouble with all the rules to remember in traditional phonics. I love that RR is completely phonetic, but doesn't make you memorize "rules". It makes so much more sense to me - and it was also designed for remedial purposes. ABeCeDarian is apparently based on the same method (Phonographix), but is workbook based.

This is my personal favorite. My brother had dyslexia, and my mom said he had trouble with all the rules to remember in traditional phonics. I love that RR is completely phonetic, but doesn't make you memorize "rules". It makes so much more sense to me - and it was also designed for remedial purposes. ABeCeDarian is apparently based on the same method (Phonographix), but is workbook based.

I started out with RR, and love the first few chapters of the book. But it's hard to use as a curriculum. ABCD is very similar but MUCH more user-friendly.

Have you looked into the Scottish Rite Freemason Learning Centers? They offer Orton-Gillingham tutoring for kids with dyslexia for FREE. They have centers all over the country.

According to their website, there are only Scottish Rite Learning Centers in the Northeast and Upper Midwest - we'll be in FL next month.

I used RR with my oldest ds and it was a flop EXCEPT for the phonemic awareness skills. Maybe I just didn't get it. He seems to be able to internalize and apply the rules in SWR, but there were just too many thrown at him too fast. I hope AAS will help him more. I know that segmenting sounds in words is helping him a tremendous amount.

According to their website, there are only Scottish Rite Learning Centers in the Northeast and Upper Midwest - we'll be in FL next month.

I used RR with my oldest ds and it was a flop EXCEPT for the phonemic awareness skills. Maybe I just didn't get it. He seems to be able to internalize and apply the rules in SWR, but there were just too many thrown at him too fast. I hope AAS will help him more. I know that segmenting sounds in words is helping him a tremendous amount.

I would suggest you contact Scottish Rite anyway. This week I found a tutor locally that tutor using the Scottish Rite materials and that has been thru all their training. Our nearest Scottish Rite center is 5 hours away. She used to live near one and work in it. I found her thru the altaread.org website. They took forever to answer my emails though...

No, they're all over the country. You must've found a regional website. When I googled it, the first two that came up were in Alabama and Austin, TX.

Here's a list of all the centers in Florida. There are 11 listed - hopefully one is near where you're moving. :)

I have never taught this program, so take this with a grain of salt, but have you looked at Dancing Bears? Apples and Pears made a world of difference in my ds's spelling. I've only read that their Dancing Bears is written for dyslexics. http://www.prometheantrust.org/

ETA: The nice thing about Sound Foundations is that every single page of every single one of their products is viewable online for free. So you can look at it even if it isn't something you are really interested in. ;)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

When my son was first diagnosed, I did an online course/seminar type of thing on dyslexia. I don't know if that would help you or not. I felt like it gave me a good foundation in what was going on with him and the basis of Orton-Gillingham methodology.

I'd be happy to pass along the information if you're interested.

SWR has worked for us, but we didn't start on it until he'd finished the first couple of levels of Barton.

HTH,

No, they're all over the country. You must've found a regional website. When I googled it, the first two that came up were in Alabama and Austin, TX.

Here's a list of all the centers in Florida. There are 11 listed - hopefully one is near where you're moving. :)

Thanks so much! I must have been looking at the wrong site.

Recipe for Reading by Bloom and Traub, $24 from EPS, everything you need to know to use and design your own OG program. They also have accompanying workbooks if you have more $ than time, but you can do it all with just the $24 book.

http://www.epsbooks.com/dynamic/catalog/series.asp?seriesonly=491M

They explain things simply and have a few pictures of writing helps and their games.

Gina,

I am not the original poster on this thread but I would like to know which online course/seminar you took. I am looking at one now and would like to know if others are out there.

Thanks!

Marie

Hi, Marie,

I'll get out my information and post it tomorrow!

Recipe for Reading by Bloom and Traub, $24 from EPS, everything you need to know to use and design your own OG program. They also have accompanying workbooks if you have more $ than time, but you can do it all with just the $24 book.

http://www.epsbooks.com/dynamic/catalog/series.asp?seriesonly=491M

They explain things simply and have a few pictures of writing helps and their games.

I looked at that one because if I did the $995 training, this is the one they supply. After I get my manual, if I still think I need something, I'll look at this one again. The training people also recommended How to Teach Spelling, so I imagine that Recipe for Reading doesn't contain spelling?

I looked at that one because if I did the $995 training, this is the one they supply. After I get my manual, if I still think I need something, I'll look at this one again. The training people also recommended How to Teach Spelling, so I imagine that Recipe for Reading doesn't contain spelling?

Right, no spelling.

For spelling, I haven't seen HTTS, although people that like the same kinds of phonics and spelling programs that I like like it.

But, I have found for a reasonable price a spelling program called "Spelling Plus" by Susan C. Anthony, it also has an accompanying dictation book by the same author, "Spelling Dictation." You can get both at RR, if you search by the titles I have in quotes, they come up.

It uses spelling rules and patterns to teach the most common words + the most frequently misspelled words, 1,000 words total. For a student who needs a lot of time to learn something, I like having them working on words that will be most useful to them, and I like the way they arrange these 1,000 words to make them easier to learn. (It's actually good for a regular student, too, but most important for a struggling student.)

Edited by ElizabethB

Right, no spelling.

For spelling, I haven't seen HTTS, although people that like the same kinds of phonics and spelling programs that I like like it.

But, I have found for a reasonable price a spelling program called "Spelling Plus" by Susan C. Anthony, it also has an accompanying dictation book by the same author, "Spelling Dictation." You can get both at RR, if you search by the titles I have in quotes, they come up.

It uses spelling rules and patterns to teach the most common words + the most frequently misspelled words, 1,000 words total. For a student who needs a lot of time to learn something, I like having them working on words that will be most useful to them, and I like the way they arrange these 1,000 words to make them easier to learn. (It's actually good for a regular student, too, but most important for a struggling student.)

Thanks! I like the idea of Spelling Dictation. Right now we are using AAS with some success, so I hope that continues. If not, I'll look at that one.

For anyone who's interested, here's a link to the course that I took online when my son was first diagnosed with dyslexia. It may be the same one that others have referenced?? I'm not sure.

If it doesn't work, I'll try again.

HTH!:)

Edited by Sugarfoot
not sure my link works...

Thanks! I like the idea of Spelling Dictation. Right now we are using AAS with some success, so I hope that continues. If not, I'll look at that one.

You need the first book to really use the Dictation book. The first book teaches them and has them arranged by lists, the Dictation book takes the words from the first book and uses them in sentences for dictation so they can practice writing these spelling words in sentences and make sure they can spell them like that, too, and not just in isolation. But, they're not that expensive.

From my brief reading of OG method of phonics, it seems that Saxon phonics has some of these characteristics. I switched from a Writing Road to Reading type program to Saxon mid year and my ds took off.

I've used Saxon in the past and it does teach explicit, systematic phonics. It's really a great program!

• 4 weeks later...
We are also using HWOT - my 8yo "draws" letters instead of writing them. I learned with my oldest son that this is NOT good and I hope to stop him from doing that - my 11yo has illegible handwriting and has to think how to form every letter because of that. I hope to learn more about the O-G method and adapt what I have to work with it.
This sounds like DD... how do you know that they "draw" the letters? How do you correct it? TIA

I am a very visual learner - between the book and various You Tube videos showing O-G tutoring, I may be able to muddle through on my own.

video on the OG website. http://www.orton-gillingham.com/Prom...Promotion6.htm

Elizabeth, I really hope that 100 EZ Lessons works for your dd - it is a lot cheaper than Barton!

I was thinking about the tutoring - could I do it, would it be worth it, etc. Then I remembered how much I hate teaching reading and decided to not even go there in my thoughts! :roflol:

Renee,

There is a special needs group on the AAS forum, where you can talk about how to modify to deal with LD issues.

Like you I would love to buy Barton's but just can't justify it, so I muddle through with AAS, some SL, ETC...and I am going to be buying Great Leaps to help with fluency.

Oh and I am using LiPS with my 6yo ds, for speech therapy. He would probably also fail the first level of Barton's. If your youngest doesn't have speech issues through I would bet the segmenting will come in time.

If I do every buy Barton's (might need to with ds because his issues are the most challenging), then I plan to just give the other kiddo's the end test. If they can test out of it then they will continue with what they are doing and I will feel better knowing I did something right. ;) If they can't we will plug holes and move on.

Heather

Heather

I can help you with Wilson.....and it's not expensive. I also have the training DVDs that you can borrow if you'd like.

:)

K

I appreciate that.

I am not sure that Wilson is appropriate for my younger children. I wish they had samples on their website! The speech therapist we were using in NC was using a LiPS type method with them and while she initially recommended Wilson she changed her mind after working with them for a few weeks.

My 8yo at least cannot learn at a normal pace at all and has little long term retention of certain things. His word retrieval is very bad and this affects his ability to read and comprehend.

Wilson might help my 11yo, though.

Thanks everyone. I ordered the Gillingham Manual and hopefully that will fill in some gaps for me.

The PAF program was my next choice, but adding in all those Merrill readers was very, very expensive.

I have AAS 1, Explode the Code, and the Sonlight readers (which are phonetically controlled and follow the exact sequence of ETC.) We are also using HWOT - my 8yo "draws" letters instead of writing them. I learned with my oldest son that this is NOT good and I hope to stop him from doing that - my 11yo has illegible handwriting and has to think how to form every letter because of that. I hope to learn more about the O-G method and adapt what I have to work with it.

Renee,

Are you on The Chatter Bee? I ask because we have a group over there dedicated to using AAS with special needs children. Not that we are super active, but we do share ideas.

My favorite exercise for handwriting is to have them trace sand letter cards, while saying their phonetic sounds. It works on both handwriting and phonics at the same time. :D I did this for a whole year last year with all 4 of my kids and it really helped the oldest two improve in writing. After a year we all needed a break, but next year I plan to do the same thing again with the younger two, who are still having issues. I do alternate it with just writing them out in a container with sand, to break up the monotony. Generally I have them do the letter cards one day, then sand the next, so how to form the letters are still in fresh in their minds. I also rotate working on upper case letters, lower case letters and numbers.

It is a slow climb up, but you can reach the summit...

Heather

• 3 weeks later...
Here is a website that has a basic instruction in OG approach for around $100..you can call them, they are very nice! I didn't get this one because I wanted more of a daily plan, like Barton but..you might do well w/ this..

Sensational Strategies for Teaching Beginning Readersâ„¢ R3240 Price: $109.95

It is OG based and you can find it here http://www.orton-gillingham.com/

Complete training program includes:

• Parent Manual: complete step-by-step instruction

• 55-minute Instructional DVD: demonstrates two complete lessons

• Handwriting Guide

• Alphabet Card Pack

• Sensational Sand

• Red Crayon

• Plastic Word Screen

• Letter Formation Paper

• Vowel Pictures

I have a degree in elementary education with a minor in special education. I taught four year old kindergarten at a private school, and I had several special needs students each year. The majority of my students were children who were old enough for Kindergarten but not quite ready for it. We implemented this program in our preschool- 1st grade, after our 3rd grade teacher went to a week long O-G training. We did the DVD's, and our colleague assisted us as an on site coordinator of sorts. It wasn't easy, but once I got the hang of it I loved it and we got major results. 2nd-4th grade used the OG book Recipe for Reading, which you can get from the same site. We saw GREAT results with our students with dyslexia and other special learning needs. Basically, all of our students who had learning disabilities were up to grade level by the end of the year. It made true believers out of all of us! My own children do not have special needs, and so I am trying to decide between the Spalding method and continuing with this, I am trying to decide if the TWRTR would be less time intesive or not.

Just a note, the public school in our district also offered a DVD based training in another OG program that was meant for one-on-one tutoring. The training took a few weeks, one DVD a week, and I can't remember the name of it. But it was also available for parents to check out through the TITLE I program free of charge for parents of dyslexic students living in the school district, even if they were not enrolled in the public school but were homeschooling or attending private school. I do not know if this is available everywhere, our school district was very accomodating to special needs students outside the public school, but it is worth looking into.

For a dyslexic student, Sensational Strategies and Recipe for Reading would be my number one reccomendation for more user friendly materials that work!

After 100 Easy Lessons, you can switch to Funnix 2. It is also DISTAR, written/designed by Siegfried Engelmann, and starts right where 100 Easy leaves off. Funnix 1 covers the same content as 100 Easy.

http://www.funnix.com/

Thanks for the information - I didn't know Funnix was a DISTAR-based program. We just started Barton, but I will keep this in mind.