Menu

phonics vs wordstudy?

Mari

Can someone please explain the difference between phonics and wordstudy programs? I'm thinking specifically about the MCP "plaid" series but if anyone can comment on general terms that would be great, too. The plaid series changes from a phonics to a wordstudy program at the 4th level.

Thanks!

MCP Level D begins where Level C ended. It continues with phonics skills and progresses into prefixes, suffixes, contractions.

Unit 1: Short and Long Vowels, Hard and Soft c and g, blends, consonant digraphs sh, th, wh, ch, syllables

Unit 2: Words with r-controlling vowel sounds; k, k s sounds; silent letters; syllables (ar, or, er, ir, ur, k, qu, gh, rh, wr, gn, kn, sc, st)

Unit 3: suffixes and syllables (-s, -ed, -ing, -er, -est, -y, -ly, -less, -ful, -ent, -ness, -able, -age, -ance, -en, -ity, -ive, -some, -ion, -tion, -sion)

Unit 4: vowel pairs, digraphs, dipthongs, syllables (ai, ay, ee, ea, ei, ie, oa, oe, ow, ea, ei, ey, ie, oo, au, aw, oi, oy, ew, ou)

Unit 5: plurals, possessives, contractions, syllables

Unit 6: prefixes, roots, syllables (un-, dis-, non-, ir-, il-, in-, en-, im-, em-, ex-, re-, de-, co-, com-, con-, fore-, pre-, pro-, super-, over-, sub-, under-, out-, bi-, tri-, semi-, mid-, pos, pel, port, ject, duce, duct, tract, spec, spect, scribe)

Unit 7: synonyms, antonyms, homonyms, dictionary skills

All of the above info is from the teacher's guide. I used this program five years ago with my older daughter. She did well with it. If you continue with Level E, it contains more root words and builds vocabulary with these words. We did not do Level F.

Level D contains more puzzles and fill in the blank exercises. The writing lesson pages are the same amount with it being one exercise per unit. There are no tear out booklets beyond Level C.

Hope this helps. I plan to use this with my younger daughter in the fall.

Lisa