Menu

MEP vs Singapore

LadyAberlin

I'm really only acquainted with Level 1 of each.

At this level MEP feels somewhat more advanced. But not hugely so. And perhaps more interesting, depending on the child. There are fewer "bunnies" in MEP, for better or worse.

We are plugging along with both. MEP has great lesson plans if you go this route. One major difference (at this level) is Singapore makes heavy use of "number bonds" while MEP uses an unusual variant on an inequalities sign (which contains the "difference") and so acts in a similar fashion to a "number bond". What the heck am I saying? OK, here's an example of what you will see in MEP:

5 <2 7

Where a "number bond" in Singapore might look more like this:

.. ^

5 ... 2

With Singapore, in the early years they generally draw circles around the numerals in the number bonds. I've been incorporating number bonds into MEP, you could too.

Bill

How do they compare grade level wise? I'm about to tutor a little girl and I was wondering if I could use MEP since it would cut down on expenses.

I'm not sure about content-wise, but numbering-wise, there's no K in Britain, so that's Level 1. So Grades K-6 are analagous to Levels 1-5.

At least that's what I've heard - someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I backed my dd up half a level from where she was in Singapore (from 3A singapore to the middle of 2 MEP) because I wanted to start her at a specific place in multiplication. Then we went through it quickly and finished most of level 3 once she was comfortable with how they do their problems. I found their document on when they introduce topics to be a really good guide for placement.

Where can I see samples, buy MEP? Would it be interesting/ helpful even to older children?
MEP is a free program from the UK; you can download it here. The program goes from K (Year 1, as they call it) through high school (my understanding is that the GCSE material covers the equivalent of Alg1, Geo, and Alg2, more or less, and the A-Level material covers Pre-Calc and some Calc).

I'm not sure about content-wise, but numbering-wise, there's no K in Britain, so that's Level 1. So Grades K-6 are analagous to Levels 1-5.

At least that's what I've heard - someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I believe you are correct about the way the British school years are numbered.

As to content, MEP 1 felt far more advanced than Singapore EB, and perhaps a little ahead of Singapore 1 (but roughly equivalent).

The styles are different. But they make a nice compliment.

Bill