Menu

Horizons teacher manuals question

WiseOwlKnits

If you have an old TM, does it work with the new workbooks? I've heard a couple of people say that it does, but I don't understand why it would? If the old teacher manuals have the same info in them, why come out with a new addition? Or are they not identical? (And if they're not, how can you use an old TM with a new workbook? :001_huh:

Thanks for clarifying this!!

-Lesley

I've used the old K & 1st grade manuals with the new K & 1st grade workbooks and did not notice a single difference. I also used one set of old and one set of new 1st grade books at the same time with my twin boys, and there were _no_ differences between them. I can't speak to the later grades, I've only used the new for Grades 2 & 3.

Not sure why they'd update the covers but not the content. Maybe to sell new manuals? Maybe because people like having the newest edition of things? Maybe because the new covers are just prettier? :)

yvonne

I asked Horizons about this 2 years ago when I purchased Level 3 & got a mismatched set! They said just the covers were updated and that they had corrected a few minor errors but nothing big.

One reason to update the cover is when stock runs out, if they had to reprint anyway and wanted to update the cover.

Also, in the latest reprinting of the TM (sometime last year), they've made the TM a perfect bound book instead of spiral bound. (personally I like the spiral bound because it lays flat, but we'll see how I like my perfect bound TM this year...)

Merry :-)

Hey Merry,

I thought I'd prefer the spiral, too, but after using the regularly bound book, I do like it better. It sits on the shelf and in my file box much better than the spiral bound.

yvonne

Hope I like it better too! I can see how it would sit on the shelf better (my spiral one has sagged, especially here near the end of the year). I liked that the spiral laid flat though, for grading ease. Did you have any trouble with it staying open while you grade, do you have to keep a hand or something on it? (not that it matters, I'm using it either way I guess!)

Merry :-)

I used the old manuals for K-2, so, so far, I've only used the new Teacher's Guide for Grade 3, but no, grading was no problem at all. The guide books stay open by themselves. The Grade 3 Teacher's Guide comes in two volumes. The first includes the manual/lessons. (One two-page spread per lesson, making it very easy to set on the table and work from.... No page turning back and forth.)

The second volume contains the answers, supplementary reproducible worksheets, and answers for the worksheets. Grading the 3rd grade student worksheets was easy. The answers volume shows the answers on a reduced size copy of the student worksheets. No need to look up page number, Ex. number, problem number, etc. (I got a little tired of this with the Singapore manuals!)

I think you'll like it!

yvonne