Menu

What to do with potty trainining little girls in public?

Okay. It's been 4 children ago that I potty trained a little girl. And my littlest is doing great! She holds it well, tells me when she needs to go, stays dry in between. Boys can go easily without touching anything when out in public; girls not so much. I line with toilet paper and all, but it's slow and seems inadequate. Also, what about park days or hikes or picnics when a toilet may not be available?

So, moms of girls, is there something on the market that I should get? Do you carry some kind of portable potty with you?

Thanks so much!

Lisa

When my DD was that age, I kept a small potty seat in the car. Target used to have one that was basically a Baby Bjorn knockoff that was small enough to fit under the seat. Lined it with plastic shopping bag bags and kept a water bottle to rinse it out when necessary. Worked really well for us, especially on those rare occasions when she was out with Daddy and he didn't want to take her to the men's room.

As a germophobe, I honestly don't have a problem sitting on a *dry* public toilet seat without putting any paper down at all. I've never gotten a disease from a toilet seat. Any my two sons do occasionally have to sit on a public toilet seat (if you know what I mean) and *they* have never gotten a disease either. Just wash everyone's hands afterwards and you'll be fine. If you can't wash hands, then lift her on the toilet and have her hold onto you while she goes. As for going in the bushes, pull down the pants/undies, squat, and go. It works fine.

There is a portable potty. Two types in fact. One is a potty seat that folders up so it can easily be taken and used anywhere there is a potty (store, grandma's etc). We did use this, but it can slide around some, so I usually had to kind of hold it in place. As I said we used this sometimes, but also I would just kinda of hold her over the potty. Our thing was her tush was too little for the seat. We never did the t-paper on the seat route (Dr Oz says it is unlikely to catch anything from the toilet seat). There is also a portable potty that you attach plastic bags to it. So you can use it without a bathroom. We had this but never used it. It would be good for a long distance road trip or if out camping.

I think both were purchased at stores like Meiers, Kmart etc.

Edited by OrganicAnn

I'm potty training my youngest right now. Not fun!!!

Here are some options I thought of:

1) Carry some antibacterial wipes with you and wipe off the toilet seat before your dd uses it instead of laying down the toilet paper.

2) If you have a van or SUV (or large trunk, :lol:), you could bring your own potty along. I know moms that keep one in the van and just use that when they are out.

3) I've come up with a system so dd does not need to touch anything when she is on the potty. I take her undies/pants off, set her on the potty, and have her keep her hands on her knees the whole time. I wipe for her in a public restroom, and will until she is coordinated enough to do it without putting her hands all over the seat for support and there is no chance of her (gasp!) falling in. :001_huh: I also have her sit on the side of the potty, rather than the front because it seems easier for her and there is no exposed rim.

Have fun! :D

I got an extra potty seat just like the one she was used to at home, and carried it around in a large tote bag when we were in stores. I kept a Baby-Bjorn rip off potty from Target in the van, but I carried tissue and water around with us to dump and rinse it instead of using plastic bags to line it. Of course, we live in a rural area. I guess that wouldn't work so well in an urban environment. ;)

When they're small, I hold them over the toilet. When they're bigger, I sit them on the toilet. Generally, as long as it is dry and not encrusted with anything, I leave it at that. What I hate is automatically flushing toilets that flush every time I (not the child, who is still seated on the toilet) move around.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Do you carry some kind of portable potty with you?

Yep. I carry this in my van. I love, love, love this thing. If it's possible and convenient (or even if it's inconvenient but the public toilet is too, too disgusting), I have her use it when we're out. (She has lots of privacy in the stow & go area of our minivan.) I do not have any unusual hang-ups about public restrooms but DD touches EVERYTHING, including the potty. And even when I put her on there and hold her, I absolutely loathe the way her undies and bottoms seem to always come into contact with the underside of the toilet. Ugh! Blech!

When she's old enough (tall enough) to hop on the potty without using her hands, I might consider parting with my portable potty seat...maybe.

Okay. It's been 4 children ago that I potty trained a little girl. And my littlest is doing great! She holds it well, tells me when she needs to go, stays dry in between. Boys can go easily without touching anything when out in public; girls not so much. I line with toilet paper and all, but it's slow and seems inadequate. Also, what about park days or hikes or picnics when a toilet may not be available?

So, moms of girls, is there something on the market that I should get? Do you carry some kind of portable potty with you?

Thanks so much!

Lisa

My little girl just touches whatever she needs to touch to keep from falling in the toilet, and then we wash her hands when she's done. No big deal. Contrary to popular belief, people don't generally pass illnesses on toilet seats, unless the previous user was a "stander", and left a mess all over the seat. Public sinks are much more germ ridden than toilet seats.

If there is no potty, and we're in the wilderness, she pees on the ground. We find a bush, I draw an X in the sand, I show her how to face uphill, and how to pull her pants all the way down to her ankles. Then, I hold her hands while she squats (so she doesn't fall over). She pees. I pull a tissue out of my pocket, and dry her off. I wrap the tissue in another tissue (or a bag, if I have one), and put it back in my pocket (urine is sterile, so I have no problem with having a few drops of it in my pocket for a little while). Then, we pull up her pants, and we're on our way. First trash receptacle receives the used tissue.

If we're in a public place with no restroom, and not enough "wilderness" to provide privacy, we leave, find a restroom somewhere, and come back (if possible). That's very rare, though.

With my first dd, I used to carry a folding toilet seat cover. She needed it because she had a fear of falling in (and she was kind of wimpy, so it was always a real possibility that she might). My current little one has much more upper body strength, and no fear, so it hasn't been a problem.

I also have her sit on the side of the potty, rather than the front because it seems easier for her and there is no exposed rim.

I do this with my girls as well. I just feel better about a possible "undie graze" if it's on the side.

When they were super little, I carried a potty in the van.

Yep. I carry this in my van. I love, love, love this thing. If it's possible and convenient (or even if it's inconvenient but the public toilet is too, too disgusting), I have her use it when we're out. (She has lots of privacy in the stow & go area of our minivan.) I do not have any unusual hang-ups about public restrooms but DD touches EVERYTHING, including the potty. And even when I put her on there and hold her, I absolutely loathe the way her undies and bottoms seem to always come into contact with the underside of the toilet. Ugh! Blech!

When she's old enough (tall enough) to hop on the potty without using her hands, I might consider parting with my portable potty seat...maybe.

That seat is the way to go.

Other things you can do are a regular potty seat lined with a left over diaper for ease of disposal.

One of those foldable portal potty seats http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/Travel-Folding-Potty-Seat-PR.html or disposable toilet seat covers like this http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/CK-Potty-Protector.html

I liked to carry a potty chair in the car. This was more because of her little tiny bottom being too small for full size toilets, and the height issues, rather than concern about germs and diseases.

I'm actually about to start potty training number 3, a boy, and I'm going back to bringing a potty chair with us everywhere. I honestly think it's easier.

So how bout this story - I was on an airplane behind a couple who had three little girls. The parents anounced that it was "potty time" and proceded to pull out that potty seat with a bag in the middle that folds up people have been talking about. They had each girl sit on that potty right in the middle of the airplane in front of their seets and go number 1 AND number 2!!!! OMG! They stunk up the whole plane! Now I couldn't SEE what they were doing, but I could HEAR everything and SMELL it too! How wierd is that??? Please, people...do this in private! :D (I'm sure you all do!)

:lol::lol:

Are you just referring to her having to touch the toilet? I never worried about that one way or the other; just washed their hands when we were done and called it good.

As far as toilets not being available, we put a potty chair in the car, just a small plastic one like she used at home, and a bottle of water for rinsing it out. Mostly, we tried to avoid those situations in the early days!

I once saw a little girl using the toilet because her mother left the door open on an airplane....I'm sympathetic as the bathrooms on airplanes are tiny, but still! At least block the view with your own body!

One more thing. I usually have my kids take off their pants completely instead of have them around their ankles; it seems much easier.

Thanks for the tip on the toilet sensor. They are really loud!

Edited by stripe

So how bout this story - I was on an airplane behind a couple who had three little girls. The parents anounced that it was "potty time" and proceded to pull out that potty seat with a bag in the middle that folds up people have been talking about. They had each girl sit on that potty right in the middle of the airplane in front of their seets and go number 1 AND number 2!!!! OMG! They stunk up the whole plane! Now I couldn't SEE what they were doing, but I could HEAR everything and SMELL it too! How wierd is that??? Please, people...do this in private! :D (I'm sure you all do!)

EWWWWWWW!!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

:svengo:

Yes. Privacy for DD and respect for others is a must!

I have to say, that for just "tinkling" a cup just pressed up...works great. The little girl I use to nanny, would have to go...just when we had walked all the way to the car. (and I'd have to drag her little sister back, too) This was the easiest....cleanest...never got a drop on either of us..way.

Carrie...

(and yes, even though her mom hated it, I kept an empty cup in the car....)

What is wrong with people?! Are some born without absolutely any manner barometer? Yucko! :tongue_smilie:

Lisa

Thanks ladies for all of the tips. I'll get a portable toilet for the road and probably some seat covers. I know many of you said that the toilet seat isn't really that dirty. Maybe not; I'm not a real germophobe, but the toilet seat is a definite thing-not-to-be-touched in my mind. Probably because my mom always used toilet paper and told me not to touch anything! :D

Have a great day!

Lisa

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=potette&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=1182875141&ref=pd_sl_3ixsemjy4b_e

here's the one parked in my van. :D With 5 kiddos - 2 being potty trained - this thing has been a lifesaver. I absolutely hate public bathrooms and will avoide at all costs. The potette is similar to what's already been, but it's always nice to have a couple options for comparison.

That is just nasty!

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=potette&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=1182875141&ref=pd_sl_3ixsemjy4b_e

here's the one parked in my van. :D With 5 kiddos - 2 being potty trained - this thing has been a lifesaver. I absolutely hate public bathrooms and will avoide at all costs. The potette is similar to what's already been, but it's always nice to have a couple options for comparison.

I just ordered this! We're going to be spending alot of time on the beach. I hate bringing dd in the bathroom there:ack2:....ewwwww.