Menu

Finishing Right Start Level E...now what?

partyof5

My 4th grade dd will be done with this by May. I am a little unsure about jumping into RS geometry at age 9 and neglecting more "traditional" math subjects for a year. I'm more interested in spreading geometry out over 2 years and doing it 1/2 time, along with something else...but what should the something else be??

If you transitioned out of Right Start in this manner (or any other!), please do share your suggestions. I am also considering not doing RS geometry at all for a few years. I have loved RS but am really feeling unsure of what to do next. I realize RS also recommends Videotext algebra, but for 5th grade??

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

My ds is doing BJU 6 after finishing RS E last year. It has been a great transition and I feel like BJU has filled in some of the gaps that he had. I don't think the gaps were with RS, just things (like LCM, GCF, fractions) for which he needed additional explanation and practice.

We were thinking of using RS Geometry, but when I called RS they said the program was written to be used 3 days a week with additional math practice 2 days a week. I needed my ds to be fairly independent since I have two younger children so BJU seemed easier.

Although I jumped from D, not E, going to BJU has been a really good transition for us. The conceptual approaches are very similar and it's very possible to continue explaining things in BJU the RS way. If you want to do the Geometry, some people do Challenge Math by Zaccaro along with it. From RS E, some people here have gone to BJU5, others BJU6, so you might want to look at them both and see which will best fit your dd's needs.