Menu

Latin for a 4.5 y.o.

wildflower

We began utilizing WTM all of a month and a half ago.

DD1 has made incredible strides now that I have found a guide that fits my teaching (learning) and DD1's learning style.

We are doing K4 right now, although I only realize that now. We had been following some bad advice to hold off on kindergarten, thinking it was a one year event.

I would like to introduce latin at some point, either over the summer- I feel we need to go through the summer to catch up with the time lost so far-or next fall.

DD is very interested in languages, has Usborne's 1000- latin, french and spanish. She sits and 'reads' them for hours on end and will ask me to go online to hear pronunciations. I would love to encourage this...

What have you all done at this age & where do I start?

Much thanks!

Robyn

Edited by wildflower

The only preschool friendly Latin program is Song School Latin. This is a very good program to start with. All you need to do is purchase the workbook( the CD comes with the workbook) and have fun.

The idea at this age is exposure there isn't any need to use the workbook until she is ready to write on her own. I began using SSL with my 3rd daughter and we just listened and learned the songs. This year we plan on using the workbook along with the songs now that she is 6. My two year old loves to listen to "Monkey Songs" ( that's what she calls it).

I wouldn't worry about memorization at this point. Just have fun.

I feel we need to go through the summer to catch up with the time lost so far

I think Song School Latin would be good for what you're looking for, but I wanted to address this statement about "time lost so far."

Your child is very young. I know that the desire to "start homeschooling" can be very strong ... I felt it too. But your child is only 4. There really hasn't been any time lost so far. Don't put undo pressure on yourself or your child. You have years ahead of you. You don't have start at a sprint.

I didn't do K at all with my daughter, who is now 7 and entering 2nd grade. I did K with my son who is now 6 and entering 1st grade. The lack of K didn't impact my dd at all and, in fact, left her freer to explore things I would never have thought to explore with her.

Tara

I think Song School Latin would be good for what you're looking for, but I wanted to address this statement about "time lost so far."

Your child is very young. I know that the desire to "start homeschooling" can be very strong ... I felt it too. But your child is only 4. There really hasn't been any time lost so far. Don't put undo pressure on yourself or your child. You have years ahead of you. You don't have start at a sprint.

I didn't do K at all with my daughter, who is now 7 and entering 2nd grade. I did K with my son who is now 6 and entering 1st grade. The lack of K didn't impact my dd at all and, in fact, left her freer to explore things I would never have thought to explore with her.

Tara

Thank you.

This age goes so quick, she's growing so fast! I do have to resist the urge to push at times.

I purchased the songs collection. We have a crew of spanish speakers for our business', so I'll work on that, bring the kids around job-sites more & find a good spanish starter (I can only teach her how to get holes dug bigger! LOL)

Thanks!

Robyn

The American Classical League has some wonderful and inexpensive materials for young learners. These materials are "exploratory" which means that they basically develop an "awareness" of Latin. ("Song School Latin" is also an "exploratory" Latin experience.) The point of exploratory is just to get students aware of Latin and language, not to teach them in-depth grammatical concepts.

http://www.aclclassics.org/tmrc/

Go to their section for materials for younger learners.

Quinque Sensus: 6 units teaching Latin adjectives themed around the human senses. Each unit is activity oriented and contains many activities which allow children to learn about human sensation and Latin. Appropriate visuals are included.

Several Activity Packets:

Elementary Latin Activity Packet: Kindergarten and the early elementary grades. Contains material on names and numbers, animal phrases, homes and entertainment, the weather, the human body, and commands.

Exploratory Latin Activity Packet and Songbook

Activity Packets for Elementary and Middle School (Primary, Elementary and Middle School levels have separate packets.)

There are also coloring books, sticker sets, and storybooks in this section.

Edited by latinteach

The only preschool friendly Latin program is Song School Latin. This is a very good program to start with. All you need to do is purchase the workbook( the CD comes with the workbook) and have fun.

The idea at this age is exposure there isn't any need to use the workbook until she is ready to write on her own. I began using SSL with my 3rd daughter and we just listened and learned the songs. This year we plan on using the workbook along with the songs now that she is 6. My two year old loves to listen to "Monkey Songs" ( that's what she calls it).

I wouldn't worry about memorization at this point. Just have fun.

So I wouldn't need the TM?

thanks!