Menu

My oldest is going to be a freshman!?!

I'm slightly freaking out about it. My biggest concern is keeping records/transcripts since we have never kept grades before. I sure I will figure it out.

Just wanted to say hi. I'll be reading all the posts from you high school pros.

Judi, I'm freaking out with you. Our oldest ds will be in 9th grade this Fall...we've never done grades or kept records, so it'll be a major transition for us!!!

Rita

Looking "bacK", I would encourage you to keep everything current with each school year or even semester. I didn't until I needed a transcript for a summer program and had to scramble. It might be worth thinking about also keeping a list of books read and a description of courses for the time that college apps roll around. As you can tell, I didn't think to do this myself:tongue_smilie:

I am keeping records for my twins starting 9th grade using a binder.

I went to a web site that someone listed on one of the homeschool boards: DonnaYoung.org I printed out forms that I thought would be good for my organizational ways. And these are what I will use to keep track of the courses.

I also made up my own syllabus for each subject being taught. I listed the "title" of the subject, listed text being used, listed grading scale and what I am going to count towards the grades. For example in math.. points for homework, quizzes, tests. For langauge arts... points for vocabulary (homework and quizzes), grammar (homework, quizzes), composition (homework, writing projects, research papers).

Then I typed up the outline from text books, listed homework next to each lesson, end of each chapter or unit I listed projects, essays, quizzes, exams, for that chapter/unit.

I also made a table grid for keeping track of grades with each syllabus.

For the kids... they will use a binder for each subject. In the binder they will keep all their work for that subject. These will be stored for "just in case".

http://www.covenant.edu/admissions/u.../home-schooled

Below are resources that you are welcome to use if they are helpful to you.

* Home-school transcript Editable Version | Printable Version

* Transcript sample Editable Version | Printable Version

* Transcript primer Editable Version | Printable Version

* GPA calculation table

Click on the "Editable" Homeschool transcript.

I am keeping records for my twins starting 9th grade using a binder.

I went to a web site that someone listed on one of the homeschool boards: DonnaYoung.org I printed out forms that I thought would be good for my organizational ways. And these are what I will use to keep track of the courses.

I also made up my own syllabus for each subject being taught. I listed the "title" of the subject, listed text being used, listed grading scale and what I am going to count towards the grades. For example in math.. points for homework, quizzes, tests. For langauge arts... points for vocabulary (homework and quizzes), grammar (homework, quizzes), composition (homework, writing projects, research papers).

Then I typed up the outline from text books, listed homework next to each lesson, end of each chapter or unit I listed projects, essays, quizzes, exams, for that chapter/unit.

I also made a table grid for keeping track of grades with each syllabus.

For the kids... they will use a binder for each subject. In the binder they will keep all their work for that subject. These will be stored for "just in case".

Anyone have a document like this or something else you use that you would be interested in sharing?

I am hosting a free webinar tomorrow morning (Friday, June 12th) at 9 a.m. Eastern time. The topic is "Earning an Associates Degree in high school." I have only 7 seats left - PM me if you're interested in attending.

This informational meeting will show you how to use dual enrollment, AP, CLEP, and other sources of college credit to earn an optional AA degree while in high school. It's an optional degree, because if it turns out your child is eligible for attractive scholarships as a college freshman, you might want to forgo the AA degree and simply transfer credits (assuming the college accepts them). If your child is not eligible for scholarships as a freshman, you can go ahead an get an AA and transfer in as a junior, saving two years of college tuition.

If I had known about this strategy 6 years ago, we would've done things differently!

Thanks for posting; somehow, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one hyperventilating when I think about high school! :ohmy:

My oldest with be in 9th grade in the fall, and while I kept diligent records for the first 6 years of our homeschooling, we've become REALLY slack with it the last 2 years. Making a steeper learning curve for me in the fall!

Thank goodness for these boards; they keep my panic at bay!

Shelly

Sandra,

Please give the website for your webinar. It sounds like something I should listen to. Also will you have a recording of it? We will be gone all day Fri.

I'm not going to record it (too big a file), but I may schedule another meeting if there is enough interest. Sorry you can't make it tomorrow!

I'm slightly freaking out about it. My biggest concern is keeping records/transcripts since we have never kept grades before. I sure I will figure it out.

Just wanted to say hi. I'll be reading all the posts from you high school pros.

My oldest is going to be a freshman too! :D This will be our first year with grades and records as well. I've been reading Cafi Cohen's books on preparing for college and she has a lot of great tips and sample transcripts, so I'm getting a pretty good feel for what we'll need to do.

Hi! Here is a thread I started a while back that has lots of info about homeschooling high school in a slightly less traditional way. It explains how I kept track. (But there are lots of ways to do it.) At least I hope it does; it's been awhile since I read it. My son applied and was accepted to college last fall. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3487&highlight=transcript

Anyone have a document like this or something else you use that you would be interested in sharing?

I don't know how to "show" you on the board. I just have it typed up on my computer and I use Microsoft Works Word Processor. Not sure if that is compatible.

So if anyone can give me directions on how I can do this then I will try. I could copy/paste but then that would be too large to post.

Something you may wish to do is to set up a folder or series of folders so that you can subscribe to helpful high school threads. You can get to this via Quick Links. I just unsubscribed to this thread (I've set my options to automatically subscribe to anything I post in to make it easy to read other replies) and resubcribed to my high school planning folder as there are some good links for transcript info, etc.

I freaked out until I came up with a solution. I enrolled in my home school group's oversight program. They keep transcripts and they are accredited. Yes, there will be a little less flexibility in the order in which we take courses, but I think the sacrifice will be worth not having to keep my own records.

That's exactly how my dd got her AA in high school...she used the dual-enrollment program at our local CC to take 66 hours. 65 hours transferred to her degree program, and she's graduating in December 2009 at age 20 with her BA. She did have to be her own best advocate to gently remind the university about a science lab, which of her CC courses were "writing intensive" and some other things in order to graduate efficiently, but hey, that's part of navigating the university beast. :)