Menu

Free-Range Kids and Child Safety on NPR

After the threads this week, I thought some of you might be interested in this interview of the Free-Range Kids author... It is about 15 minutes long.

Here and Now Interview on NPR

And on whether kids are safer now as an effect of child safety awareness.... Are kids safer because we never let them out anymore

Edited by Old Dominion Heather
add link

After the threads this week, I thought some of you might be interested in this interview of the Free-Range Kids author... It is about 15 minutes long.

Here and Now Interview on NPR

And on whether kids are safer now as an effect of child safety awareness.... Are kids safer because we never let them out anymore

Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed the interview.

joshv's comments in her blog about statistics pretty much sum it up for me.

I'd substitute "supervised" instead of "locked up/sequestered" lol.

Marvin Merton makes a good point too.

OVERALL people have been cautioned to be more careful, use the buddy system, and avoid unnecessary risks. The more aware we are, the better care we can take of ourselves.

sorry, but her philosophy simply doesn't offer the hard data of success and instead relies on statistics ironically fueled by people becoming more aware as our communication and safety programs --across the board, not just for children- has increased.

i mean, yeah, feel free to let your kids roam if you want, but if we're going to bring in statistics about SAFETY then minimizing risk through supervision is going to be tough to beat.

parent your children the way you want to parent them -not because some free range mom is giving you permission to, but because YOU want to.:001_smile:

I know! I want to rent it now. I will say that Sesame Street has seriously gone downhill in my lifetime!

Completely agree. I bought sets 1 and 2 of Old School Sesame Street because we don't have television. Of the two, I prefer set 2 because the characters fit my memory better (set 1 Big Bird and Bert and Ernie look really different). My kids love it.