Menu

My dd just informed me she wants to learn Japanese

OnTheBrink

Can't help you with curriculum, but my 13 yo DS is studying Japanese at a language school on Saturday mornings. It's 2.5 hours per session, over 10 months, for $175. The teacher is great and he is in a class with other teens who are all beginners.

But we're in a large multi-cultural city, so we had this option.

Janet

Free resources (my dd tried them and didn't like them, but at least they're free)

netlibrary (if your library subscribes) has Pimsleur Japanese as a free eaudiobook

http://www.gpb.org/irasshai/term/japaneseI

My dd loved Instant Immersion Japanese on cd-rom. It's pretty cheap, just $30 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Immersion-Japanese-Deluxe-v2-0/dp/B0009X6QFQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1204607276&sr=8-2

Nihongo daisuki! = Japanese for children through games and songs : a teacher's manual complete with photo-ready materials / by Susan H. Hirate and Noriko Kawaura. is the best Japanese language course I've seen. It is what is used in the schools in Hawaii. (I found it at our library). But I speak Japanese and it definitely would be a course that would be best taught by someone who knows the language.

Nihongo daisuki! = Japanese for children through games and songs : a teacher's manual complete with photo-ready materials / by Susan H. Hirate and Noriko Kawaura. is the best Japanese language course I've seen. It is what is used in the schools in Hawaii. (I found it at our library). But I speak Japanese and it definitely would be a course that would be best taught by someone who knows the language.

This is my worry. I have taken Spanish and German, and used the Spanish when I lived in San Diego, so I'm fairly confident with Latin-based languages and with German. Japanese, however, is a fish of another color. I think I might try to push her back to a language I have some knowledge in. Besides her whole reason for wanting to learn Japanese? So she can to go Japan to the Hello Kitty amusement park. :rolleyes: LOL