Menu

Question about French customs

A dear friend and her husband are going to Paris on business, but will be staying in people's houses. Any un-American customs that they should be aware of? Like taking off their shoes, etc?

Any insights would be most appreciated :)

Blessings,

Rita

Well... I think shoes are simply a personal decision. I've met people with glorious wood floors that don't want them scratched by shoes, but it certainly isn't "cultural".

If the people are there, they should get ready for "les bises", which are the kisses on either side of the face. Sometimes they are full on kisses, sometimes they are "air" kisses. THAT is cultural. In Paris, the standard is one kiss on either side. In other areas, it may be a total of 3 kisses.

Men are much more "touchy" in France. It is not uncommon to see men embracing upon meeting one another (who are already friends). It is also common to see women walking along arm in arm or hand in hand.

Breakfast is a very small meal; usually just breads, meat, cheese, fruit and perhaps yogurt. And coffee. There is always coffee.

Lunch is the largest meal of the day, and is done in a leisurely fashion. Dinner is really only a glorified snack. Wine is often served with both.

Europeans wear a LOT of black, and tend to dress much nicer on a daily basis then do Americans. Paris is most like San Francisco, if you want to compare it to an American city. For general fashion, men wear more slacks than jeans, and women are often wearing skirts. It is not uncommon to look around and see the majority of women wearing heeled shoes (rather than flats). Only teens wear "trainers" (sneakers) for anything other than fitness.

If your friend is not relatively fluent in French, she is really better off sticking to English while in Paris. While other parts of France are very generous to people doing their best with the language, Parisians just tend to get annoyed at attempts. I've never understood this, but oh well.

Oh! I almost forgot - there are a lot of bidets in France. She'll see it next to the toilet. Because utilities are so expensive, many people only shower every couple of days, but do an "Irish bath" in the sink and clean their nether regions with the bidet.

HTH

a

A dear friend and her husband are going to Paris on business, but will be staying in people's houses. Any un-American customs that they should be aware of? Like taking off their shoes, etc?

Any insights would be most appreciated :)

Blessings,

Rita

Yeh, the shoe thing....don't. Manners here are much more formal, as it dress, and dining. Speak softly, dress expensively and make sure you bring a hostess gift, flowers or designer chocolate. Try converting to the European way of using the knife and fork. Never take seconds of anything at the table. Expect to be quizzed on your religious and political views. (I was taught these subjects are not to be talked about in polite society in the US, not the case here.)