Menu

Want to weigh in on my sofa selection?

Here's what I'm thinking about getting:

3610038_KO.gif

Pros:

(1) It is $199!

(2) The pillows are all connected so my kids can't throw them on the floor!

(3) I like the wood feet!

(4) I like the four pillows!

(5) Did I mention it is $199?

Cons:

(1) Are you insane, woman? The thing is practically white and you have three boys!

(2) It is microsuede, which means when my boys trace smiley faces onto the cushions with their fingers, I'll be able to see them. Also, when someone gets up, you can see the pattern of their clothes where they were sitting. Will I hate this?

Thoughts? What would you do? I kind of want leather but I think it might be outside my budget. WWYD?

the back cushions are prone to getting disfigured....(I am sure there is another word for that, LOL). You know....they get all lopsided...and mushed down in the middle.

I don't mind the bottom cushions coming off.....but I won't have another couch with the back cushions are removable.

We have a couch very similar to this in leather. (Purchased used in great shape.) I love that the cushions can't fall off, but as Tammy mentioned, one of the top outside corners is completely mashed out of shape. Ours only has three cushions though, so maybe that one would hold up better. I like that I can just take a damp cloth and wipe off any muck. But due to the off-white colour and three outdoorsy kids, I have trouble actually keeping up to the muck. :-(

My mom has Ashley sofas and I'm always trying to fix the lumps where the batting shifts.

We got our living room set from samsclub.com, and it is the same color microsuede you're looking at. I like microsuede as it does come clean quite nicely. I just recently discovered several mysterious spots on the recliner that looked suspiciously like chocolate. A little Resolve took it right out. Wish I could say the same for the inkspot *I* was responsible for. :blush:

It's not been my experience that it gets hot either. I believe it to be a poly fabric which these days is often quite breathable.

I do like the style you chose! I love it when you can see the feet on furniture. It makes it easier to clean. Oddly enough, I chose a reclining living room set which comes right to the floor. I just have to go find a volunteer to vacuum under while I tip it forward. :D

I suggest you get a fabric sample and take it home to test how easily various stains are removed from it. Microfiber fabrics are not of equal quality in that regard.

I bought a white sofa when I was pregnant with the boys, and I can only blame it on hormones or insanity. Unless the furniture is covered in Crypton fabric, I will never have light colored furniture again if I expect any kids or my DH to use it.

I throw in a plug for Ashley furniture. Our whole living room set is Ashley and is faux leather (my favorite word for it is "pleather" LOL). I got it 10 years ago and just this last year (after my stupid dog peed on it and I had a fit and WASHED the cushions by hand and hung them to dry for 3 days) it started "peeling" where you sit. I really think it was the washing action (or the pee...EEEEWWWW!) but now it is pretty well ruined. The other couch that we sit on much less often is still in top condition after 10 years and this is with 2 kids, 2 cats, and 1 dog.

WHAT? Who said you are supposed to vacuum UNDER a couch.....LOL.

Oh, I don't do it often! Not anymore anyway. All but one of my kids knows how to operate the vacuum cleaner--out of necessity. We have a siberian husky, and we vacuum a LOT.

Best thing I did was getting a big rug for the living room so the furniture no longer needs to be moved every stinkin' time. The rug slows down the fuzz "tumbleweeds" (We have bare floors.). Now it only needs vacuuming under every other week or so.

I still have to move the stupid stove all the time or the fuzz comes up from behind. :glare:

I just recently discovered several mysterious spots on the recliner that looked suspiciously like chocolate. A little Resolve took it right out. Wish I could say the same for the inkspot *I* was responsible for. :blush:

Oh! Oh! I know this one! :D My ds3 decided to doodle on my sister's microfiber sofa with a pen. :glare: I googled it, and found that using hand sanitizer would clean it right out. And it did! Actaully, I think just rubbing alcohol would have worked, too, but I used hand sanitizer. I just put a little glob of sanitizer on a rag, and rubbed it into the ink on the sofa. The ink just disappeared, the sanitizer dried in a minute, and the sofa was like new again! Man, was I relieved; I thought that I might have to offer to replace the sofa. :001_smile: Or more like, ds3 should've been relieved... :001_huh::glare::D

I did check on a hidden spot first, just to make sure everything was ok. Make sure you do that. (I don't want to be responsible in the off chance the hand sanitizer turns your ink spot into a hole or something! :lol:)

Edited by bethanyniez

I did check on a hidden spot first, just to make sure everything was ok. Make sure you do that. (I don't want to be responsible in the off chance the hand sanitizer turns your ink spot into a hole or something! :lol:)

I'm going to have to try that! We recently took a vacation and I have tons of the stuff now. :D I hope it works because after all the warnings about spills, it was ME who made the first spot.

We do snacks wherever we feel like getting comfy (The chocolate spot was Hershey's syrup that was on ds's ice cream.), but I do try to get them to pay attention. 99% of the time my kids can manage a bowl of ice cream without spilling a drop. Not too shabby considering one of them is five. It's me that's a slob. :tongue_smilie: