Menu

Workboxes and Winter Promise

amandajh

Okay, I have been looking into this whole workbox thing, and I think my children would benefit from it. However, I have not read the books that explain the entire system. I understand the basics, but not so sure how to do it. How would you use this with Winter Promise? I can see having boxes for language and math, but how do you 'box' the theme units or science? I will be doing AS1 and WAM science, LA1, LA3, and Saxon Math 2 & 3 this fall. I am going to try and learn more about this workbox method, and figure out if it will work for us. One thing is that my kids are still so young, and I still have to do a lot of teaching before they do their work pages. What do I do with one of them while working with the other one? Language and Math are on different levels, but History and Science we will be doing together. How do I schedule this out? Do I need to just order the book by Sue Patrick or is it really that hard to figure out? If any of you do this, could you share your schedule along with the method?

I don't use WP, but I will tell you how I set up my workbox system. And I'm pretty sure this is NOT how the book tells you to, but it's been working really great for me!! Because my kids are still fairly dependent on me (1st & 3rd) to teach them, I use the workboxes to let one focus on something while I work with the other child. Both DC do read, so they can do everything independently pretty much. Mostly I'm filling the boxes with worksheets (we don't do a lot of them in our daily schooling, so they rather enjoy doing them from the box). I bought a bunch of workbooks at used book stores and dollar stores. We have geography workbooks, math, language arts, grammar, critical thinking. They have four boxes each for each day. I also put books on tape/CD in the boxes that they can listen to in their CD players, learning wrap ups to practice math, coloring sheets, copywork, craft ideas, games for one. So whenever I have to "teach" one child, the other gets to pick a workbox. I have the boxes up high on a bookcase so it's a surprise to open it up (I use Rubbermaid type containers about the size of shoeboxes). I didn't get a chance to fill them one day and the kids were SO disappointed!!

I'm not doing WP, but I do Sonlight with Workboxes, and it works really well for me. What I did was laminate cards with clipart and a label (math time, read with Mom time, etc.), so I could just toss them in each box and then add materials as needed. You can see my boxes and cards on an old post at my blog at http://gwgumby.blogspot.com/2009/04/workboxes-i-love-them.html.

I don't have a set schedule to share with you, but I have learned it's easier to set one child on reading (60 minutes with a timer and whatever book assigned) or some other independent work while I do specifics with the other, which gives me the time I need for one-on-one. If they get to a box that requires me, or their sibling, and everyone isn't ready, they just know to move on to the next box. It takes a little juggling, but it's still much more organized than things used to be around here! :D

I use Workboxes similar to how Maria described. We use Sonlight, as did the author Sue Patrick. She spoke of having a "Group time" in the morning first, and then having the independent subjects in the boxes.

My kids also know that if I'm working with one child & they need help, they should go on to the next box if they can't figure it out. They can bring the work to me at the next "break" time. I do about 30-45 minutes of "tutoring time" with each child, so they can bring me items they have questions about then, or it's not so long to wait until the other child's time is up, to ask me about what to do. Both of my kids have to work hard at concentrating, so unless it's really important, I ask them not to interrupt each other's tutoring time. And actually this has helped them to solve their own problems sometimes, because they want to get something done. Sometimes with homeschooling, we moms can be "too accessible." Making them wait just a bit facilitates putting some thought into figuring things out I think. Also in the book she suggest giving the kids a limited number of cards for asking mom questions (they turn a card in when they ask a Q)--so kids learn to only use them when they really need to.

As to what to have one do--A 3rd grader you can probably give instructions to and have them complete a lot on their own with some minimal help here & there. A 1st grader might need more direct input. I used manipulative play time as something my dd could do while I worked with her brother at these ages. Sue Patrick sets up "centers" for the kids to do, so if you look into some of those ideas you might find something.

HTH a bit! Merry :-)

Thanks so much for the help you guys! I printed the e-book last night and read it. I'm very excited!!!! My children will thrive with this system!!!! I like how they will "check in" to school, and putting fun activities in the workboxes in between school work is a great idea too.

I also figured out that if it is something that I need to help them with, I put a sticker on that box indicating that they need to come to me to explain or teach that box.

I too learned that I can get my more flexible child (dd 3rd grade) to just move on to the next box if I am working with brother when she gets to a "work with mom" box.

WOW!! This will be awesome!! I have tried for a couple of years now to figure out how to make this all work. It has always been very chaotic and there seemed to be a lot of wasted time with one child waiting on me while I was working with the other. Plus, I will be able to put things in the boxes that I have wanted to do in the past like: art, audio books, more review games, etc.

I may have to go to the store today and get the stuff!!!!!! ;)