Menu

I'm never going on vacation again.

At the end of April we went on a family vacation to AZ. We were gone for 10 days. The boys were in varying degrees of sickness (I'm talking high fevers, coughing, headaches, ear infections, etc) the entire time.

So the boys and I arrived at my parent's house on Saturday for 2 weeks. My Dad ends up in the ER Sunday morning for kidney stones (I guess he'd been on Thursday as well). He's back there again, and hopefully they're going to do the surgery thing to get the stones out (otherwise it's scheduled for Thursday).

So, to make this post about me :lol:, I'm on vacation and having to cook and clean and care for the boys as normal. Only not quite as normal because the rules are different here, and it's hotter here, and there is an inside dog here, and dh is back home. So it's like home, only not as comfortable :lol:.

At the end of April we went on a family vacation to AZ. We were gone for 10 days. The boys were in varying degrees of sickness (I'm talking high fevers, coughing, headaches, ear infections, etc) the entire time.

So the boys and I arrived at my parent's house on Saturday for 2 weeks. My Dad ends up in the ER Sunday morning for kidney stones (I guess he'd been on Thursday as well). He's back there again, and hopefully they're going to do the surgery thing to get the stones out (otherwise it's scheduled for Thursday).

So, to make this post about me :lol:, I'm on vacation and having to cook and clean and care for the boys as normal. Only not quite as normal because the rules are different here, and it's hotter here, and there is an inside dog here, and dh is back home. So it's like home, only not as comfortable :lol:.

Hmm, sounds like you need a REAL vacation... (to us, that means not visiting anyone). Our family could live on vacation 24/7... we hate returning home - esp from our long trips (2 months has been our longest so far - at least 3 weeks is our minimum preferred length of time). If we could figure out the finances, we'd live traveling...

You know what I don't get? People who camp for vacations. Why? More work for mom is all that I can see. My rule for vacation is that the place has got to be easier to be than home.

totally agree!!!! I don't get it.

We usually go camping on vacation. Which is actually more work, but a total break from routine.

Of course, this weekend DD will be leaving on vacation without me. It will be a vacation of a different sort, for me, even though I have to stay put and work.

Can I cry now? LOL I've got a trip like this in a few months. I'm trying to be positive but.....I'll be traveling with my 2 boys and my mom. My mom actually said my dh couldn't come because he would be bored and obnoxious. Nice. Oh I just wish I could find a way to back out but my boys are so excited. I guess I will try to be excited. I will get to see lots of family and get to go to a great zoo and a few cool museums....

Just wanted you to know you're not alone! :o

You know what I don't get? People who camp for vacations. Why? More work for mom is all that I can see. My rule for vacation is that the place has got to be easier to be than home.

$$$

That's the big reason why we camp for vacations.

However, it also helps A LOT that DH does most of the camp cooking and cleanup. :D I also have older children now who help with the camping chores. So it's not so bad.

Camping is our preferred way to go. It not only extends our $$, it also lets us wake up in some spectacular places...

Then too, hubby is chief cook & bottle washer when we camp... (not so at home).

And our 3 boys take care of all things associated with our tent and campsite...

I end up doing next to nothing except enjoying the atmosphere... and planning hikes/geocaches - maybe some grocery shopping.

Who could ask for anything more??? Not I.

Dh travels fairly often for his job, so hotel rooms don't appeal to him. Also, we have 9 people in our family, so we'd have to get at least two hotel rooms (which doesn't appeal to me). We find it hard to sleep in hotel rooms. And several of us have a food sensitivity so we don't like eating restaurant food a lot. So we camp in a travel trailer pulled by a 15 passenger van.

I had to have an open mind about camping at first. Yes, it is more work than a hotel-type vacation, but we all pitch in. The children LOVE it. There is no adjustment to a new hotel because we have our own little house on wheels. We always try to camp right beside the playground, which is pure joy to the little ones. Most campgrounds are wonderful for bike riding. And everyone can get outside and go on nature walks. We usually see the sights but combine our trip with just relaxing.

We all love it, so it's been a good fit for our family. Before we got a trailer we hardly ever went on vacation. Now we go at least a couple of times a year.

GardenMom

Well, this is where we usually camp. And with a group, so we pay into the group's food budget, and help with two or three meals over the course of the week, and we're set. Of course, I usually wind up putting in more volunteer hours than I would hours at work, but it's fun!

You know, I learned not to call our visits with family "vacations". That way, if they ended up feeling like a vacation (which they often did, admittedly), it was a pleasant surprise.

We've been known to call them "oblivacations" :tongue_smilie:

Camping involves work for setup and teardown, but if you go for several days, all there is, is cooking in the middle. My kids tend to entertain themselves and wear themselves out and sleep early. Also, the older 2 can help with cooking and toddler watching. I like because I don't have to listen to the fighting over the electronics or the electronics themselves.