Menu

What do you use for memory work/ what ages?

rjperez1

I'm refering to typical lists of academic facts that kids memorize in school. anyone do this?

I had to memorize the Lincoln's Gettysburg address, preamble to the Constitution, catechism (although I'm not a Catholic), States and capitals, grammar lists, times tables, skip counting, and other things that are Forever etched on my memory.

Any other useful lists? Lists of lists? I know facts aren't the sum of education, but I'm grateful for the ones I was required to memorize. What do you think is important?

I'm refering to typical lists of academic facts that kids memorize in school. anyone do this?

I had to memorize the Lincoln's Gettysburg address, preamble to the Constitution, catechism (although I'm not a Catholic), States and capitals, grammar lists, times tables, skip counting, and other things that are Forever etched on my memory.

Any other useful lists? Lists of lists? I know facts aren't the sum of education, but I'm grateful for the ones I was required to memorize. What do you think is important?

OOH! YES!

This is something I need to be working on. We are on Commandment # 4 right now & other random facts (DD1s middle name, etc)

Thanks for asking this, I've been meaning to also!

RObyn

i did a quick amazon search for living memory- didn't find anything that looked remotely like what you are talking about- author or isbn, something?

thanks!

i'm telling you, with this board, life is good- everything i need to know right at my finger tips! thank you!

The Well-Trained Mind lists suggested memory work for each grade and subject. It's not all in one place (unless the new edition puts them together) but within the description of logic-stage history, for example, it lists the names, events and dates that should be memorized for each grade. Just go to the relevant section and look for the subsections titled "Memory Work."

Last summer I went through those lists and compiled a folder for each child containing all of their memory work for the year. We used everything recommended in WTM for their grades, plus my own list of scriptures, Boy Scout oath and law, memory work for church and a poem DS needed to learn for our co-op ("If" by Rudyard Kipling.) Toward the end of the year I added some math formulae too.

Having it all in one place means it actually gets done. In previous years I had tried working on things as we got to them, but I'd either waste half an hour hunting for it at the last minute or would forget until we'd gotten well past that topic.

Last summer I went through those lists and compiled a folder for each child containing all of their memory work for the year. We used everything recommended in WTM for their grades, plus my own list of scriptures, Boy Scout oath and law, memory work for church and a poem DS needed to learn for our co-op ("If" by Rudyard Kipling.) Toward the end of the year I added some math formulae too.

Having it all in one place means it actually gets done. In previous years I had tried working on things as we got to them, but I'd either waste half an hour hunting for it at the last minute or would forget until we'd gotten well past that topic.

:iagree: Oh isn't the truth! I have done this so many times! This is why I'm posting! Thanks for the tip. And I will look into Living Memory and WTM. They sounds very helpful because I'm not good at winging it, yet.