Menu

Do frogs "keep"??

Hey hive,

I need some of your wisdom here. :) I'm going to be using this kit with my daughter this upcoming school year. http://www.hometrainingtools.com/life-science-7-science-kit/p/BJ-KIT07/

I just got an email from the company that they are offering a 10% discount plus free shipping for orders over $150.00, but the offer expires on June 20th.

I am planning on buying a microscope from them as well which will put me over the $150.00 making me eligible for the free shipping, but I wanted to know if I buy the science kit now, if the frog and the worm will "keep" until I we are ready to use it during the school year?

Any ideas/suggestions??

Thanks to all who reply. :)

Hey hive,

I need some of your wisdom here. :) I'm going to be using this kit with my daughter this upcoming school year. http://www.hometrainingtools.com/life-science-7-science-kit/p/BJ-KIT07/

I just got an email from the company that they are offering a 10% discount plus free shipping for orders over $150.00, but the offer expires on June 20th.

I am planning on buying a microscope from them as well which will put me over the $150.00 making me eligible for the free shipping, but I wanted to know if I buy the science kit now, if the frog and the worm will "keep" until I we are ready to use it during the school year?

Any ideas/suggestions??

Thanks to all who reply. :)

I would go for it. I'm sure they don't expect you to dissect the specimens right away :)

From the page you linked (emphasis mine):

Specimens are initially preserved with a formaldehyde solution, the best animal tissue fixative. The formaldehyde is then displaced first with water and finally with a glycol solution to produce a moist, low-fume specimen which can be stored almost indefinitely. We recommend that you use specimens within one year of purchase to ensure the best tissue quality. Specimen discoloration over time is normal and does not indicate decay.

I would go for it. I'm sure they don't expect you to dissect the specimens right away :)

From the page you linked (emphasis mine):

Specimens are initially preserved with a formaldehyde solution, the best animal tissue fixative. The formaldehyde is then displaced first with water and finally with a glycol solution to produce a moist, low-fume specimen which can be stored almost indefinitely. We recommend that you use specimens within one year of purchase to ensure the best tissue quality. Specimen discoloration over time is normal and does not indicate decay.

Duh! I guess I should have read that first before posting, huh? I did read the kit description when I was deciding on my science for next year, but that was a few months ago now and I guess my "mommy brains" filtered that out. hehe Thanks for the reminder. :)

I bought a frog from them & didn't use it until 10 months later. It was still good. I think they keep for a year. It wouldn't hurt to check.

Oh thanks. :) Just out of curiosity, where did you keep it when you weren't using it?? I"m trying to figure out where to actually put it when I get it. :eek: