Menu

Am I a hypocrite????

My sis has her son in a new spanish immersion school. He started w/K. Now he is in first, 7 yo. he cannot read, write or do math in English.

Now I hear he is not doing good in Spanish, so needs tutor wkly. I talked to him yesterday and his conjugation is all messed up. I told my sis to pull him and put him in reg. 2nd grade this fall, to have him do major catchup.

She wont listen. To me, it seems that experiment is failing and switch before they wait til 6th grade. Their theory is he will fail first couple yrs than swing around and be smarter. But, I told her w/any foreign language your IQ is higher, no matter when you take it.

I tried to stop myself thinking about the shoe on the other foot. She could have slapped me w/homeschooling and social.

So, am I a hypocrite and I should shut my mouth.

I agree. He's seven. Give the immersion school a fair chance.

How would you feel if your kid(s) were doing poorly, and she was telling you to stop homeschooling and put them in public school?

It's not your decision, and unless she asked you for advice, don't give it.

My sis has her son in a new spanish immersion school. He started w/K. Now he is in first, 7 yo. he cannot read, write or do math in English.

Now I hear he is not doing good in Spanish, so needs tutor wkly. I talked to him yesterday and his conjugation is all messed up. I told my sis to pull him and put him in reg. 2nd grade this fall, to have him do major catchup.

She wont listen. To me, it seems that experiment is failing and switch before they wait til 6th grade. Their theory is he will fail first couple yrs than swing around and be smarter. But, I told her w/any foreign language your IQ is higher, no matter when you take it.

I tried to stop myself thinking about the shoe on the other foot. She could have slapped me w/homeschooling and social.

If she asked, I'd tell her I'd pull him if it were my kid. If she didn't ask, I'd keep my opinions to myself.

I know it is harder to keep your mouth shut when it is family! :tongue_smilie: But taking a step back and looking at what I would say if it were a friend.....I know with friends I try to be far more tollerant of choices. I have all sorts of friends who all have raised their kids different ways and with all sort of choices I would never want for my own kids, but I realize many of them wouldn't homeschool either and think I am nuts, so I need to let them raise their kids too.

My very best friend's son BEGGED to be homeschooled from grades K-10! 11 full years of begging and she was adamently opposed to it. Believe me, it was everything in me NOT to say anything! But it was her choice.

Dawn

Just to add, and it probably has no bearing. I am the educational advocate for her learning disabled daughter and I work like a dog, w/no help from her to get this child services because sis sat on her hands for seventeen yrs.

I just dont want to see another have to play major catchup. If it was the first dc, I wouldnt be bitter.

Sorry.

Jet, if you're coming from a place of love and caring (and it certainly sounds like you are) I'm one who thinks it's better to be open with a sibling and talk through concerns, rather than to just keep ones tongue. This is your family.

In my mind we are our brother's keepers to some degree. We have to be humble enough to listen, and show proper respect for decisions that differ from ones we might make, but who is more prepared to give consul than ones brother or sister? I certainly feel that duty with my brother, and expect the same from him. And after that we back the other's play.

But tongue-holding with family? Not for me.

Bill

To me, it sounds like there could be learning problems and the kid should be evaluated. Learning Spanish should NOT impede learning English. I think there may be another problem underlying this, having nothing to do with Spanish Immersion. If my homeschooled kid needed additional assistance I would seek it, not automatically decide homeschooling is the wrong way to go, KWIM?

You are all right, I was being a hypocrite. Thanks.

Ah, don't be too harsh. You want what's best for your little nephew. It can be hard not to keep quiet at times.

Man, I know how hard it is for me to bite my tongue when it comes to my sister. She doesn't even have kids yet!

Just a side note, we have friends w/ kids in duel immersion and they absolutely love it. It was a rough start but now the 6th & 5th graders are both fluent in English & Spanish while mom & dad are NOT. These kids will be taking spanish 3 as freshmen in high school.

Starting slowly seems to be normal for english speaking children.

Jet, if you're coming from a place of love and caring (and it certainly sounds like you are) I'm one who thinks it's better to be open with a sibling and talk through concerns, rather than to just keep ones tongue. This is your family.

In my mind we are our brother's keepers to some degree. We have to be humble enough to listen, and show proper respect for decisions that differ from ones we might make, but who is more prepared to give consul than ones brother or sister? I certainly feel that duty with my brother, and expect the same from him. And after that we back the other's play.

Bill

I think you are my long lost brother.

Unless she asked I would say you need to bite your tongue.

I have seen it frequently though. I have 3 friends with kids in immersion programs. One had to leave after second grade because she couldn't function in either language. The other two, their moms basically homeschool them in English when they get home.

I think this is where he is at, a jumble of both. The prob, is she isnt helping at home w/either. So where does that leave the child??/ I bought him hooked on phonics last yr. I truly think she did not take it out of the box.

A dear friend enrolled her very bright daughter in the spanish immersion program and our public school. The first 2 years were very rough and the daughter was very discouraged. She was accustomed to excelling, yet she wasn't reading or writing in English, and her Spanish was behind compared to much of the class (a majority of whom come from Hispanic homes). My friend decided to give it longer, but started doing a small amount of English phonics work at home (with the teacher's blessing).

End of the third year (2nd grade) - the daughter is virtually fluent in Spanish. Many of the children at her recent birthday party were from Spanish-speaking homes, and the daughter did a lovely job of playing interpreter among her friends. She is reading in both English and

Spanish at a 4th grade level, and has begun writing what she calls "International Stories" featuring bilingual dialogue.

I think it can take time for the brain to really adapt to thinking and learning in another language. I hope this is the case for your family!

Bill

Not to hurt your feelings, but I'll bet they just love having you around. :P It's said tongue in cheek, but I have family members who just feel the need to "tell you how it is" and "share their feelings." I'd rather they not. They need not be encouraging, just hold their tongues. Bottom line? You have free reign with YOUR children. Your sister has the right to make an informed, or frankly, uninformed educational decision for her own children without "helpful" family members. You know sometimes I wonder to myself about certain family members, "Do they think I don't live 24/7 with my children? That I don't see their strengths or weaknesses?" Certainly we do. And we've evaluated what is important in the long term and made our final decision. They need not agree, approve, or encourage... Just keep their mouths closed. Just as I do for every silly decision they make.

Not to hurt your feelings, but I'll bet they just love having you around. :P It's said tongue in cheek, but I have family members who just feel the need to "tell you how it is" and "share their feelings." I'd rather they not. They need not be encouraging, just hold their tongues. Bottom line? You have free reign with YOUR children. Your sister has the right to make an informed, or frankly, uninformed educational decision for her own children without "helpful" family members. You know sometimes I wonder to myself about certain family members, "Do they think I don't live 24/7 with my children? That I don't see their strengths or weaknesses?" Certainly we do. And we've evaluated what is important in the long term and made our final decision. They need not agree, approve, or encourage... Just keep their mouths closed. Just as I do for every silly decision they make.

Actually, my brother and I are extremely close and look to each other for council and advice because we know we find loving support, and also honest expression of our thoughts and opinions. The same applies to our parents. This makes for a strong family, and a supportive family.

There is know one who knows me or my wife and child better than our families, and there is no one we rely on more for input and advice more than them. And we do our very best to do the same.

To me that is what being a "family" is all about.

Bill

Bill

Wow! I agree with Bill. I think you are not being concerned with they STYLE or choice of alternative education methods... but the results. If you feel it is too early to speak up.... keep watching & (with love in your heart & vocabulary) bring it up after another semester or so.

It is GREAT to try things, but they dont' all work for the child. Ask any homeschooling Mom/Dad. She will have to come to realize it isn't working if things don't improve soon.

Curious? Why Spanish only? Do they live in the US? Are they hispanic or plan to live in a hispanic/latin country soon?

In your shoes, I would do my research before jumping the gun. I don't know about immersion schools, but I do know that kids who learn two languages from the beginning "seem" behind in both languages until everything clicks. Then, things really do just click and they're truly bilingual. Check out the Bilingual Education Board (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8). Perhaps ask your question there. Those moms have had lots of experience with this sort of scenario, I'm sure.