Menu

Eggermeir's Bible Story Book or...

MrsMe

What ages will you be using it with? I have the Egermeier's that I read as a child and loved. I think it would be better for a yonger child, like K or 1st, since it has more pictures. I also have the Child's Story Bible, and I absolutely love, love, love it. I read through it with a 3rd and 1st grader this year, and I can't say enough good things about it. It does not have as many pictures, so it may be a better choice for a child who does not need the pictures.

With my youngest, I will probably start with the Egermeier's, then move on to the Vos.

I have the Child's Story Bible, but haven't seen the other one. We like ours, but haven't used it in a while. The kids are old enough now to use their own personal Bibles for study, or to follow along with me if I am reading to them.

What ages will you be using it with? I have the Egermeier's that I read as a child and loved. I think it would be better for a yonger child, like K or 1st, since it has more pictures. I also have the Child's Story Bible, and I absolutely love, love, love it. I read through it with a 3rd and 1st grader this year, and I can't say enough good things about it. It does not have as many pictures, so it may be a better choice for a child who does not need the pictures.

With my youngest, I will probably start with the Egermeier's, then move on to the Vos.

Newly 3rd! :bigear:

I've read both. I agree with the other posts. Egermeier's is a good read aloud for lower grammar and independent read for upper grammar. The content presented in a very straight forward manner. The questions in the back are a nice way to discuss the stories without asking for a narration every time. The illustrations are more plentiful and beautifully done.

I like Vos to read aloud for upper grammar or to read independently for early logic as an overview of the story of the Bible. IMHO, the Vos book tries to get the student not to just listen to story, but to think more critically about it. For example, when Jacob is going home, she tells you about the present that he puts together for his brother Esau. Then there is a pause in the actual story line where she asks "Was not that a fine present to give to Esau? Count all these animals and you will see that there are five hundred and eighty animals--enough to stock a large farm." Sometimes she provides a bit of context for a story, (ie. explaining why having a child was so important to Hannah) or critiques a character (ie. if Delilah had been a good woman...) There is more of a sense of the author trying to convey a message to the student rather than simply telling a good story, which provides the opportunity for some good discussion. HTH

Newly 3rd! :bigear:

I would probably choose the Vos then. It seems to go into more detail, and is very thorough and accurate. Like I said, I read it with a 3rd and 1st grader, and they both loved it. It was definitely one of the highlights of our school year.