Menu

Tummy Tuck + Tubal Ligation

I've seen doctors around here advertising tummy tucks with your tubals and tummy tucks with your hysterectomy, so I know it can be done. I don't know the logistics and whether it's done by a plastic surgeon and a gynecologist, or if one doctor specializes in both procedures. Certainly something to look into, but do your homework.

First lay down the law to your dh. You've carried and birthed his children, a little discomfort on his end is a tribute to you!

My sil had a tummy tuck.

She was in pain for awhile~a week (?) and my brother said if she'd known how painful it would be she would not have done it.

Having said that, a year later she looks great and is happy she did it.

She was 49 and opted for the surgery because diet and exercise were not working for her.

Have you looked into Essure? It has pretty much the same result as tubal ligation, but is non-invasive. No cutting, just a short non-surgical procedure done either in a hospital (which is what I did) or even as an office procedure (which didn't sound as good to me). It was quick and easy, and had a great result. I was out of the hospital within half a day, and felt good enough to stop off at the grocery on the way home and continue with my normal daily activites. I had it done a couple of years ago. Let me know if you want more details, or you can google for the website.

Thanks Julie. I have looked into Essure. I heard that it was relatively new, and they weren't sure what kind of complications could occur. I am afraid that I will develop an allergic reaction (I have autoimmune problems) and I have heard that there are medical procedures that you cannot have done after Essure.

if I thought a tummy tuck could be part of the package, I don't think I would have insisted on dh having the V.

I would like to have this combo surgery. I asked my OBGYN and she's done these surgeries w/a plastic surgeon doing the tummy tuck. Now all I need is about 6K to drop in my lap and I'm all set! :tongue_smilie:

Is it possible to get both done at once? My health will be in danger if I have another pregnancy and DH keeps chickening out on his plans. I thought if I have to get it done, maybe I could get a bonus out of it.

Just so you know, I had quite a bit of pain with my tubal. I was wondering why my 2nd C-section was so much more painful than my first, and the nurse told me it was the tubal that was causing the pain.

No tummy tuck for me :glare:

I had a C-section with 9 lb 12 oz DD and my stomach hangs over the incision. I can't even wear a girdle b/c when I do I get a rash in the incision area.

But, I have heard that a tummy tuck is similar to a C-section, and it took over 3 months for the wound to close up. I didn't fully recover for a long, long time. (years) So it is probably a really stupid idea to try anything like that again.

A tubal ligation is out-patient surgery with a pretty quick recovery (although not as quick as a vasectomy). A tummy tuck? Not so much. My cousin's wife had a tummy tuck and said if she had known what the recovery was going to be like, she wouldn't have done it.

BTW, I understand what you're going through with your DH's hesitation. But at least yours will discuss it. Mine pretends I haven't said anything when I bring it up. :glare: I finally gave up.

He has had appointments. He said that the money was the reason he canceled it the first time, then when I made him another appointment, he said that he wasn't sure that he wouldn't want more kids, after all, he is still young and what if something happened to me? Now, this last time he said that he is old enough to not want any more kids, but he is scared. :toetap05: Do you know how many exams and surgeries I have had? It is ridiculous what women are expected to go through without complaint, yet it seems acceptable for a man to be a big baby about this.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

... he said that he wasn't sure that he wouldn't want more kids, after all, he is still young and what if something happened to me? ...

:glare: If dh said something like that to me I may consider giving him one myself!

I'm just saying... :D

He has had appointments. He said that the money was the reason he canceled it the first time, then when I made him another appointment, he said that he wasn't sure that he wouldn't want more kids, after all, he is still young and what if something happened to me? Now, this last time he said that he is old enough to not want any more kids, but he is scared. :toetap05: Do you know how many exams and surgeries I have had? It is ridiculous what women are expected to go through without complaint.

When my dh had his, we had hit our out of pocket max for the year (read- free) and he kept rescheduling. He FINALLY went through with it on New Year's Eve. It was memorable!

I had a tubal ligation. I would not recommend it to anyone. I have had a lot of complications with it. 3 years after I had it done I had the clip rip through my tube and get imbedded in my ovary , it was so painful . I then had to have an operation to have the ovary removed. I then got pregnant . I have had minor discomfort ever since. I really wish I didn't have it done, just because of all the complications. I personally know people who had so many complications that they had a hysterectomy.

I wouldn't recommend my husband getting done either. men can have complications as well, plus they complain more

I had a tubal ligation. I would not recommend it to anyone. I have had a lot of complications with it. 3 years after I had it done I had the clip rip through my tube and get imbedded in my ovary , it was so painful . I then had to have an operation to have the ovary removed. I then got pregnant . I have had minor discomfort ever since. I really wish I didn't have it done, just because of all the complications. I personally know people who had so many complications that they had a hysterectomy.

I wouldn't recommend my husband getting done either. men can have complications as well, plus they complain more

Oh, wow! This sounds terrible. :grouphug:

I had a C-section with 9 lb 12 oz DD and my stomach hangs over the incision. I can't even wear a girdle b/c when I do I get a rash in the incision area.

But, I have heard that a tummy tuck is similar to a C-section, and it took over 3 months for the wound to close up. I didn't fully recover for a long, long time. (years) So it is probably a really stupid idea to try anything like that again.

Carmen, is your two year old the C-section? It really will get better with time. Nathan was my c-section, and I cannot even really see the scar and everything is fine down there. I just actually need to lose a few more pounds and get more toned. My c-section scars are right above my pelvic area, though, so they don't actually make my stomach pouchy.

I had a tubal done. I was sore the next day, but otherwise back on my feet. Mine was done laproscopically though...no clips or cuts or anything. They used a laser to burn the tube. A vasectomy wasn't ever an option though (for medical reasons). I don't think that I could have had a tummy tuck at the same time because of HOW my tubal was done though.

:iagree:

I had a tubal done after the birth of our 6th. I had it done for the same reasons you are looking to have it done. I have lupus and my rheumatologist told me NO more babies. I didn't want to wait for DH to have one....I knew I'd end up pregnant again so I refused to leave the hospital until the doctor did my surgery. I had it done laparoscopically and had no issues at all. I was in minor pain for a few days, but overall it was a piece of cake. I know some people don't always have the same result, but I have several friends who have had the procedure with absolutely no problems.

I don't know which autoimmune issue you have (I started with one and now have three), but I'm sure the surgery would easier than another child would on your body.

Oh....and I'm sure there would be more of a recovery time for having it done by incision. I can't imagine it could be much worse than having ac-section. The way you are cut is similar. Anyway, I've never had a tummy tuck though so I guess I'll leave that for those who have.

If I had to do it all over again....I'd definitely choose tubal WITH a tummy tuck.:D

Blessings,

:iagree:

I had a tubal done after the birth of our 6th. I had it done for the same reasons you are looking to have it done. I have lupus and my rheumatologist told me NO more babies. I didn't want to wait for DH to have one....I knew I'd end up pregnant again so I refused to leave the hospital until the doctor did my surgery. I had it done laparoscopically and had no issues at all. I was in minor pain for a few days, but overall it was a piece of cake. I know some people don't always have the same result, but I have several friends who have had the procedure with absolutely no problems.

I don't know which autoimmune issue you have (I started with one and now have three), but I'm sure the surgery would easier than another child would on your body.

Oh....and I'm sure there would be more of a recovery time for having it done by incision. I can't imagine it could be much worse than having ac-section. The way you are cut is similar. Anyway, I've never had a tummy tuck though so I guess I'll leave that for those who have.

If I had to do it all over again....I'd definitely choose tubal WITH a tummy tuck.:D

Blessings,

Thanks so much Andrea! How long has it been since you had the surgery?

Yes, being pregnant made me so much worse. I ended up in the hospital twice, and on bedrest for months. I lost 40 lbs while pregnant and almost lost the baby. I am just now starting to recover. I gained all my weight back and then some. :tongue_smilie:Starving for that long has made me a bit of a glutton now. :001_huh: Especially at first, every time I ate I had it in the back of my mind that I didn't know when it would be possible again. Sorry to go on... but do you remember the Little House books discussion on here about the Long Winter? I was so upset by that conversation. It brought back bad memories.

I have told DH that it would be preferable to kill me than to get me pregnant again.

Carmen, is your two year old the C-section? It really will get better with time. Nathan was my c-section, and I cannot even really see the scar and everything is fine down there. I just actually need to lose a few more pounds and get more toned. My c-section scars are right above my pelvic area, though, so they don't actually make my stomach pouchy.
No such luck... the 7 year old is the C-section. But, I am realizing that going through major surgery is probably a stupid idea regardless. I will still look into the tubal though.

Your husband has cause for concern. V's can cause complications in men, from minor groin pain to constant, non-stop pain to impotence. When my husband was in for arm surgery, he was bedded next to a man who was in for his 3rd surgery due to issues from having a V. That was enough to steer off my husband from it. For me, I have endo and would be prone to tubals and cysts...not something I want to increase the risk of. If I having another child was an absolute life/death situation for me, I would opt for a hysterectomy.

I had a "partial" tummy tuck when I had my tubal ligation -- obviously insurance wouldn't cover a full tummy tuck & I couldn't afford it at the time! They covered the partial because I'd already had one scar revision surgery, due to problems with my c-section incision continually becoming infected and irritated due to the excess skin overlap. I don't remember the exact details, but essentially my OB/GYN had also studied plastic surgery, so was qualified to do both procedures. My tubal was for the same reason you're considering it - I was warned that my life would be in jeopardy if I got pregnant again.

Anyway, the mini tummy tuck was awesome, but I had other problems after the tubal and ended up having a partial hysterectomy 2 years later. While it was a hard decision at the time, I've never once regretted it.

Your husband has cause for concern. V's can cause complications in men, from minor groin pain to constant, non-stop pain to impotence. When my husband was in for arm surgery, he was bedded next to a man who was in for his 3rd surgery due to issues from having a V. That was enough to steer off my husband from it. For me, I have endo and would be prone to tubals and cysts...not something I want to increase the risk of. If I having another child was an absolute life/death situation for me, I would opt for a hysterectomy.

Thanks Mamaduck. I have endo as well... I will look into my increased risk.

Carmen,

I had the tubal two years ago right after I had my last DD. Bouncing back from pregnancy with autoimmune issues is no joke. I had severe post partum depression after my last and between that and health issues it took me a good 18-months to feel like myself again. I'm feeling a lot better now although my lupus has been giving me heck lately.

I know what you mean about having major surgery, too (although I could really use a tummy tuck after 6 kids). You never know how your body will react. I've been on several immunosuppressants and simple things can turn into life threatening ordeals. If you really wanted to have the surgery your rheumatologist would probably be a good place to start. If he/she was willing to clear you for surgery that would provide some reassurance. With any surgery though...things can go wrong so that is something to think about as well.

Take care of yourself...no matter what you decide. I know a lot of the time others don't understand how bad you really feel.

Blessings,

I had a "partial" tummy tuck when I had my tubal ligation -- obviously insurance wouldn't cover a full tummy tuck & I couldn't afford it at the time! They covered the partial because I'd already had one scar revision surgery, due to problems with my c-section incision continually becoming infected and irritated due to the excess skin overlap.
That is exactly what I have been going through! And since the incision took forever to heal to begin with I am wondering if it was done wrong to begin with. (I hope this isn't too personal, but it would really help me.) Were the complications that led to your hysterectomy due to the tubal? How bad was recovery for the partial tummy tuck?

Take care of yourself...no matter what you decide. I know a lot of the time others don't understand how bad you really feel.
Isn't that the truth!! Thanks. :grouphug: I have been starting to flare this week and I am scared too death that it will get really bad again. I have Ulcerative Colitis with related RA symptoms.

I agree. I would lay down the law and make him get it done. Its less pain on his part and less recovery time. Plus you will be saving yourself some health issues down the road. I wished I never got my tubes tied. Not just because of wanting more children. But now I get terrible cramping and it gets worse with every period. I've also aquired terrible PMS, something I NEVER have had. I'm a very staunch advocate to NOT getting it done. Have your hubby get it done.

:glare: If dh said something like that to me I may consider giving him one myself!

I'm just saying... :D

I have almost died twice from complications of childbirth. After I gave birth to the sixth, I put my foot down and said that there will be no more baby making activities until we get the all clear from the V doc. That little speech was strangely motivating. :tongue_smilie:

I was advised not to have any more children as well. I was sick for over a year after my pregnancy. My immune system just gave up the ghost. I tried all of the contraceptions, with disastrous consequences; I even got a 2nd degree burn on my cervix from spermicide! Then I was diagnosed with seizures to top it off.

Hubby had a V when kiddo was 3. It was outpatient on a Thursday, by a VERY qualified urologist. He came home, put a bag of frozen peas on his groin, and STAYED ON THE COUCH until Monday (except to pee).

The urologist told us ahead of time that the only time she saw complications/failures was when men refused to stay in bed for the first few days or insisted on making tea immediately ("I have to make sure it still WORKS - what BS...).

The other thing she saw was "psychological impotence" - guys who were upset about getting it done psyched themselves into non-performance. It is an excuse, basically, for their anger.

I can assure you that, if anything, tea has improved in the last 13 years, with us not having to worry about killing me. :001_smile:

All of that said, I knew a woman who had to have a hysterectomy, and she arranged to have both a pelvic floor tightening (to keep from peeing every time she sneezed, or jumped) and a mini-tuck. She had to have two docs - on OB-GYN, and one general surgeon. She said it was the best decision she ever made.

HTH

a

PS: When DS was back at work that Tuesday, with NO problems, and even went running with the guys, he started a run on the urologist. All the guys saw that it could be done w/o problems.

No experience with the tummy tuck, but I had my tubes ties after DS was born. It was done laproscopically (SP?) and I had some discomfort the next day, but after that nothing. They only had to make a small incision (if I remember correctly there were 3 stitches) and the scar is completely concealed in the folds of my belly button.

The decision for me to have the tubal v/him having the big V was purely financial. I was covered and he wasn't.

Best wishes to you whatever you decide.

DH did have complications from having a V. It bled internally- probably because he went straight back to work- giving massages- instead of resting for the rest of the day like the doctor told him to :glare:. Actually, he fainted. Mmm, imagine cantaloupe sized goulies, and blood up to the belly button under the skin. 3 operations altogether. That's when he became a Treckie (weeks in bed watching videos). (we kinda love telling the story, but it's a bit mean telling a man who is about to get it done :) ).

Anyway, no long term problems, just 6 months of them! I always told him it was karma because I was too young to make that decision, and I have since wanted another child. He was clear though about not having more kids.

However.....dh was incredibly clear that it was up to him to get the deed done, because it is USUALLY a much easier operation than for a woman. It's very quick, no big deal- usually. There was no question for him that it was up to him. However, my life wasnt in danger. If I had to be responsible and my life was potentially in danger if i got pregnant, and dh wouldnt come to the party- well I would try very hard to get him to do it first, but then, I would just get it done. Someone has to be the mature one!