Menu

Netflix suggestions, please? My queue is so sad....

What have you liked?

I have a bunch of documentaries in there- we usually save those for periods of school when I'm busy, but we need a little more cerebral viewing (:001_huh:).

For me: I was spoiled by Cranford and Little Dorrit in the last month. Loved them both. I think I might have watched all the good ones. Maybe not. Try me.

I would love a family movie.

I like smart thrillers. For instance, I thought Traitor (Don Cheadle) was great.

Family:I would like some classics- westerns, WWII fictional picks. My family watched Run Silent, Run Deep over the weekend (submariner stuff).

Thanks ya'll.

Jo

As far as smart thrillers for you, we liked Tell No One. It is on the view instantly. It is french, so you will have to read subtitles (assuming you aren't fluent ;)).

Just watched Gattaca (not a thriller but thought provoking) on view it now last night. Very interesting.

Body of Lies is great...Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe.

Can't really help you with family movies...sorry.

We just watched Blood Diamonds with Leonardo DiCaprio and that was a really great flick. Other than that, I.O.U.S.A. was really informative but that's a documentary. The kids and I just enjoyed Cheaper By the Dozen (the old version) and I recommend The Gods Must Be Crazy, sort of an anthropological comedy.

That's all I can think of right now.

I liked Lorna Doone, Wives and Daughters, Pride and Prejudice...

For family movies, we are LOVING the old stuff. Old movies like That Darn Cat and The Absent Minded Professor....and old sitcoms like Get Smart, Gilligan's Island, etc.

My husband and I really enjoyed watching the Heroes series together, but it was too gory for my usual taste.

We recently watch Akeelah and the Bee, very touching. We rounded it out with Paul Blart, Mall cop. I think anyone who frequented a mall in their youth (ie: 80s) should watch this movie. It was hilarious.

they have a lot of TV shows, if you're wanting to catch up on any. We have a bunch of Star Trek episodes on our queue.

My kids love all the old Jerry Lewis movies (esp Disorderly Orderly and Bellboy), and some musicals like Chitty, Chitty Bang, Bang and Mary Poppins. They like the swashbucklers with Errol Flynn. Even sweet family movies like Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House. Anything slapstick they love. Young Indiana Jones is good. All the American Girl movies.

I love historical fiction so I am renting and rerenting all the classics. Anything Tudor period I just love, so I am rerenting the Elizabeth movies with Cate Blanchet. And Wuthering Heights, Pride & Prejudice, all that stuff I could see 100 times.

Oh! One you might like one I got for DD from the library but I know Netflix has is The Royal Diaries. It's 3 short stories from the teenage years of Cleopatra, Isabel of Spain, and Elizabeth I. It was awesome!

We have also rented ones that we have fond memories of as kids but there have been some questionable moments, like Harry and the Hendersons and Goonies. The original Herbie movies and the original Freaky Friday, stuff like that.

ETA: I just reread that you want more cerebral, so my suggestions might not be for you. I like movies for entertainment, so I don't look so much at the cerebral part!

Edited by i.love.lucy

Foyle's War, MI-5 (often not a happy ending), Danger UXB, Hidalgo, Eight Below, Chak De! India, Follow Me Boys, Doctor Who (wonderful revival over the last few years), Cheaper by the Dozen, Whale Rider, Miss Petigrew Lives for a Day (really good), The Sting, The Great Escape, Charlotte Gray, Master and Commander.

We just watched Blood Diamonds with Leonardo DiCaprio and that was a really great flick. Other than that, I.O.U.S.A. was really informative but that's a documentary. The kids and I just enjoyed Cheaper By the Dozen (the old version) and I recommend The Gods Must Be Crazy, sort of an anthropological comedy.

That's all I can think of right now.

I had seen blood diamonds a while back- but your suggestion spurred my memory to put Amistad in the queue. I enjoy watching Djimon Hounsou. Thanks. I remember thinking my teacher had lost her mind when she showed Gods Must Be... in school. I'll have to watch it again. :lol: Maybe I can get the same sentiment out of my kids.

Jo

I liked Lorna Doone, Wives and Daughters, Pride and Prejudice...

For family movies, we are LOVING the old stuff. Old movies like That Darn Cat and The Absent Minded Professor....and old sitcoms like Get Smart, Gilligan's Island, etc.

My husband and I really enjoyed watching the Heroes series together, but it was too gory for my usual taste.

Get Smart is in the queue! Thanks.

Jo

We recently watch Akeelah and the Bee, very touching. We rounded it out with Paul Blart, Mall cop. I think anyone who frequented a mall in their youth (ie: 80s) should watch this movie. It was hilarious.

they have a lot of TV shows, if you're wanting to catch up on any. We have a bunch of Star Trek episodes on our queue.

I just have to try Paul Blart. :D I will laugh. I will in no way be edified by the experience...but I will laugh! I think that guy is hilarious.

Jo

My kids love all the old Jerry Lewis movies (esp Disorderly Orderly and Bellboy), and some musicals like Chitty, Chitty Bang, Bang and Mary Poppins. They like the swashbucklers with Errol Flynn. Even sweet family movies like Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House. Anything slapstick they love. Young Indiana Jones is good. All the American Girl movies.

I love historical fiction so I am renting and rerenting all the classics. Anything Tudor period I just love, so I am rerenting the Elizabeth movies with Cate Blanchet. And Wuthering Heights, Pride & Prejudice, all that stuff I could see 100 times.

Oh! One you might like one I got for DD from the library but I know Netflix has is The Royal Diaries. It's 3 short stories from the teenage years of Cleopatra, Isabel of Spain, and Elizabeth I. It was awesome!

We have also rented ones that we have fond memories of as kids but there have been some questionable moments, like Harry and the Hendersons and Goonies. The original Herbie movies and the original Freaky Friday, stuff like that.

ETA: I just reread that you want more cerebral, so my suggestions might not be for you. I like movies for entertainment, so I don't look so much at the cerebral part!

No, you were right the first time. I needed alternatives to the cerebral fare.

Young Indiana Jones and Mr. Blandings are in the queue!

Jo

Foyle's War, MI-5 (often not a happy ending), Danger UXB, Hidalgo, Eight Below, Chak De! India, Follow Me Boys, Doctor Who (wonderful revival over the last few years), Cheaper by the Dozen, Whale Rider, Miss Petigrew Lives for a Day (really good), The Sting, The Great Escape, Charlotte Gray, Master and Commander.

As usual, we are on the same page. I'm a huge Foyle fan. I didn't know about Chak De, and it is now in the queue. I loved Miss Petigrew (good flick for when Drew is at sea- as a matter of fact, I ought to have an entirely separate list for those days).

Drew nearly yelled when I read "The Great Escape" from your list. That led to a man-generated group of additions to the queue. We'll have to have a boys night.

Thanks a bunch!

Jo

For family movies, we really like the old comedies. The Court Jester with Danny Kaye, Arsenic and Old Lace with Cary Grant. Ds13 just found Mythbusters.

Great suggestions. I saw Arsenic and Old Lace on stage at the Kennedy Center, and I have unrealistic hopes that my children will see it that too. In the queue it goes. I also added Mythbusters for the kids- they were thrilled.

Thanks.

Jo

If you haven't seen it, please give 'Lars and The Real Girl' a look. Quirky, funny, and sweet. Don't let the description blurb discourage you...it is a good movie. I showed it last summer at a Women's Night Out at church. Rave reviews.

If you haven't already seen it, Chicken Run is a hoot - for all ages (comedy - my favorite genre). Bolt was also very good.

I'm trying to think of the last really good thriller I saw (there's been a few 'ok' ones), but my mind is coming blank this morning. I don't watch Dramas - they bore me. I guess lately I've been going for comedy...

Ds and I watched Hotel for Dogs and really enjoyed it. I think the enitre family would like this one.

DH and I watched Fool's Gold and it was better thatn we thought it would be.

And Australia was wonderful(although we thought it could have been two movies)

The following are in my queue but I have not seen them yet

New in Town

Taking Chance

Saving Sarah Cain

The Wedding Date

Songcatcher

Yes I do plan to spend my movie watching time this summer watching brain candy

Some favorites I have seen

Ms Potter (lovely about Beatrice Potter)

P S I Love You

Hairspray

Mr Hollands Opus (yes old movie but I watch it once a year or so)

Karen (who also need help with her Netflex queue)

Edited by Mrs. Readsalot

If you haven't already seen it, Chicken Run is a hoot - for all ages (comedy - my favorite genre). Bolt was also very good.

I'm trying to think of the last really good thriller I saw (there's been a few 'ok' ones), but my mind is coming blank this morning. I don't watch Dramas - they bore me. I guess lately I've been going for comedy...

Chicken Run would be a good one to watch with The Great Escape.