Menu

Dave Ramsey FPU is being offered in our area. Is it worth

We thought so. Once you've paid the price you can attend the class again for free. I listen to the CDs in the car on long trips...it's a nice refresher for me.

You could do it by just reading the book. I loved the fellowship of likeminded people in the class. I also learned from them things that I might not have gotten otherwise.

A great forum for DR devotees is http://www.llnoe.com Living like no one else. Great help there!

I think the classes are worth the money. Can you do it with just the book? Yes, I think you can. But like the other poster said, you can take the classes again and again once you've paid and the fellowship, encouragement and ideas from others in the class were great for me!

I guess I would add...it depends on how in debt you are too. And how much you and dh are on (or not on) the same page when it comes to money. If one of you is a spender and one is a saver - or you're both spenders, or you just don't see eye to eye when it comes to money matters, then the accountability of the class is a huge benefit! :)

I think the classes are worth the money. Can you do it with just the book? Yes, I think you can. But like the other poster said, you can take the classes again and again once you've paid and the fellowship, encouragement and ideas from others in the class were great for me!

:iagree: It is a bit pricey, but like the others said you can retake it, and I beleive that price includes the book. Also if you do it at home you are more likely to become distracted and put it off, where as if you 'have' to be somewhere for a class you are more likely to go and pay more attention- no kids around, etc.

We took the DVD series in church, and I thought it was more helpful than just doing the book. I learned a lot from him, and we were pretty good budgeters before. We went in to it thinking we had it all together financially, but he had a lot of good advice to fine-tune what we were already doing and we're socking a lot more $$ away than we were before we took the class.

I agree with others that going to class and having homeworking and comraderie were big perks. We would not have done so well on our own with just a book.

The cost of the class is nothing compared to what we have already saved with our new budgeting plan, and the changes in our household since going through FPU will be permanent and life-altering for the good. In that sense, the course is priceless.

I never could afford the class, but I pay $10 a month for the MY TMMO portion of the dave ramsey website. It's a subscription that puts you in a personalized program that walks you through the baby steps. It has great budgeting software and a program that logs payments for Baby Step 2 (which is the worst of the baby steps). I really like it.

Best $110 we ever spent. Totally worth it, IMO. We learned so much, were finally able to get a plan together for our money (present and future). It is such a relief knowing where our money is going each paycheck. It might not have changed how much we actually make, but it sure changed our outlook on the future.

It really can be done on your own and without spending a whole lot of money. I'd save the money and just get the info you need off the website. My dh and I only listened to Money Matters by Larry Burkett years ago, followed his principles and stayed debt free all these years except a few years of car and house payments. Today we are 100% debt free without Dave Ramsey.

Best $110 we ever spent. Totally worth it, IMO. We learned so much, were finally able to get a plan together for our money (present and future). It is such a relief knowing where our money is going each paycheck. It might not have changed how much we actually make, but it sure changed our outlook on the future.

:iagree:

I actually took this class while still in college and I was SO blessed! As soon as I graduated, I knew exactly how to budget, what I was doing and where my money was going. I'm quite young and my car is paid for, my student loans are paid off and life is that much better because of it. If you have college age kids I highly recommend they take this course. I was so helpful for me to have to the knowledge I had when I got my first paycheck. I still use the cash system while paying for certain things...groceries, gas.....and such. Just a few weeks ago the cashier (cute older woman) said...usually the people that pay cash are MY age-not some young cute little girl like you! I responded by saying that I appreciated how permanent cash was and that it helped me stay on budget better. I loved the class and owe my financial stability to it. Good luck!