Menu

Excuse me, but your kids are rude....

I don't really think it's about electronics; it's about teaching manners.

From a young age, I teach my kids to say "hello" and communicate with both the adults and children we know and meet. When we visited friends when they were little, I would say, "Say hello to so-and so." Basically, I expect polite communication. I expect and teach my kids to engage and respond in company.

Many parent don't even know that their suppose to teach their kids the appropriate way to interact with others. When your kids are 3,4 and 5 tell them that they need to say hello and politely answer questions. It'll be second nature when their 10,11 and 12. This is a personnal pet peeve of mine. Can you tell?

:eek: I never even thought about kids sending that stuff to each other! :eek:

I know adults who fall for that stuff!! :001_huh:

Yeah, it's all the internet junk, moved to their phones. There are some really nasty, disturbing things floating around out there.

I don't really think it's about electronics; it's about teaching manners.

From a young age, I teach my kids to say "hello" and communicate with both the adults and children we know and meet. When we visited friends when they were little, I would say, "Say hello to so-and so." Basically, I expect polite communication. I expect and teach my kids to engage and respond in company.

Many parent don't even know that their suppose to teach their kids the appropriate way to interact with others. When your kids are 3,4 and 5 tell them that they need to say hello and politely answer questions. It'll be second nature when their 10,11 and 12. This is a personnal pet peeve of mine. Can you tell?

Which begs the question. All these kids connected to their devices, most are ps kids (I'll have to assume some are hsers), aren't they being socialized at school? I mean, isn't that why our (hser) kids are "anti-social?" They aren't in ps. Stunning that ps kids aren't being properly socialized.

It is more than the phones. It is tv, doors, conversations, etc. I am shocked at parents who do not feel they should teach children manners or other considerate behaviors. I think they believe it is just "absorbed" or (as some state) they are born with it.

It comes to the issue of respect. They do not have it for others. You have to start teaching it almost from birth. It is not natural b/c it requires that we do things "outside ourselves". It requires that we stop what we enjoy and do something for someone else (without praise or reward)... but because we SHOULD and MUST!

So many today aren't teaching this b/c they are fearful of hurting the development or individuality of the child.

Even businesses are suffering from this. I can't tell you the number of cashiers who don't even bother to look at you to hand when giving you change... much less say "Thank You" or (even to grunt... haha).

Very sad! I wish more adults would be parents!

:iagree:

Stunning that ps kids aren't being properly socialized.

Well, sadly I think this IS the new socialization. And since I didn't like the old one full of peer pressure and cliques and everything else, I certainly don't like this one either....and chalk it up to reason number 1,248,293 that I am glad we homeschool.

I was told by my teacher friend that a fellow teacher was disciplined when the principal walked into her classroom while her students were taking a test and she was texting....apparently it wasn't the texting that got her in trouble (???), it ws the fact that she didn't even look up or acknowledge the principal when he came in. She was written up for a safety violation!!! And this teacher friend of mine says that many of the teachers use their cell phone internet or their class computer internet while the kids are doing quiet work/testing. Since I routinely get emails from my MIL (a teacher) during school hours, I have to save I believe she's right.

I believe that observing my behavior/habits teaches my children as much as our formal lessons, so it certainly seems that teachers texting/interneting/emailing during classroom time would lead the kids to believe it's acceptable. According to that same teacher friend.....the smart teachers collect the phones before tests, otherwise, kids will text others asking for answers....including kids in "study hall" who can look up the correct answer and text it back to the kid taking the test! She actually joked and compared it to that TV quiz show "who wants to be a millionaire" where you get "life lines" to call and ask a friend to help you.

Yeah, that's the kind of socializing I want my kids involved in. Not.

As for the boys not looking up and seeing the OPs pretty daughter.....that's scary and seems to hold up the theory that people who are addicted to computer games often lose complete interest in normal life behaviors such as even eating...and yes, se* is on that list.....the food part actually becoming life threatening for some gaming addicts as they don't eat for days on end. Or, maybe because these teen boys are so techno-addicted, they simply haven't matured enough to the point of being interested in girls. Of course, I'd probably be a bit happy about their lack of interest....as they don't sound like my first choice of dating material for my daughters, lol...and if they're not interested, I wouldn't have to worry that my daughter would be!

I agree with the many posters who have stated the importance of teaching basic manners and common courtesy. Most of these kids are simply imitating the behavior of the adults in their lives.

My husband teaches Sunday School to 16-17 year olds. He is constantly reminding them that phone calls and texting is not appropriate or appreciated in class. He has asked students to leave on more than one occasion. My brother, who is an adult and should know better, has actually texted my husband's kids during class!:tongue_smilie:

I'd just like to say that I know cell phones and related electronics have changed etiquette, interactions and the dynamics of social gatherings.

But, honestly? I still find most kids, most families, most situations to be average, normal, acceptable and expected.

I think most families do the best they can, are doing ok and are fine.