Menu

Concerned about a comment my 4.5yr old son said!

We were in the kitchen this morning cleaning up after breakfast and my soon to be 5yr old son said "Mommy I want to be a little girl". I have no idea how to take this, I asked him why and he said he didn't know. After he said that he ran off and continued playing with his 6 yr old brother. I called my husband at work and he didn't seemed to concerned about it, he told me not to put to much into it and he isn't worried.

Is this something normal for kids to say? I know he's going to be okay but I was totally taken by surprise!

We were in the kitchen this morning cleaning up after breakfast and my soon to be 5yr old son said "Mommy I want to be a little girl". I have no idea how to take this, I asked him why and he said he didn't know. After he said that he ran off and continued playing with his 6 yr old brother. I called my husband at work and he didn't seemed to concerned about it, he told me not to put to much into it and he isn't worried.

Is this something normal for kids to say? I know he's going to be okay but I was totally taken by surprise!

Your question put me in mind of this thread. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94514&highlight=son+dress

I think it is nothing to worry about as well. I hope you will feel comforted after reading that thread that you're not the only one. :)

Bless you! :)

Jennifer

I was just browsing that other thread when I searched for "boys and dolls".

My son just turned 6 and all he wants for Christmas is an American Girl Doll :eek: so he can brush her hair and put pony tails and hair clips in and change her dresses. :001_huh:

I found a few threads where people were saying this type of thing is normal - including wanting nail polish or to wear dresses or wanting to be a girl. (my ds doesn't want any of that but he really wants a girl doll and he loves painting dd's nails and putting make up on her)

It seems that young children don't really understand what it is that makes them boys or girls and they see something that girls do and they want to join in and they don't realize what it really means to become the opposite sex.

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

CC. I definitely wouldn't worry about it. Al most of my kids wanted to be either another gender or a dog, bird, etc. when they were younger. I don't remember them talking like that after the age of 7. I would tell my children that God made them a boy or girl because that was how they would best enjoy life etc etc.

When my preschool son said this, I asked him why, too. It turns out that he liked the feel of the fabrics in the outfits his sister had (plush velvet, fur, satin, etc.) better than the feel of his clothes (woven cotton, denim, corduroy, etc.). He's always enjoyed the feel of soft things. Made sense.

I also didn't worry about it. Since he's now a normal adolescent male who's attracted to and distracted by girls, and who would never consider cross-dressing, I think I was right not to pay it much mind. After all, my very feminine daughter wanted to be a bear when she was that age . . .

I wanted to be a boy b/c there were no girls living near our farm. I wanted to be a duck b/c they could play in the rain or sunshine. I wanted to be a truck driver, a veterinarian, and a carnival roadie!

I think kids see some advantage or cool trait and wish they could do the same. Maybe the girls got to go on a trip.... maybe they go to sleep late.... maybe they don't have to take out the trash.... who knows!

Don't make anything of it! It is a thought or observation that popped in his noodle & will pop right back out!;)

My ds proclaims loudly that he is a princess. He wants to be a princess. He runs around with my high heels and nothing else on.

When you ask him about it, he's going to be a princess. Then a frog. Then the king. Logic? I think not. He's got 3 sisters who have a great time playing dress up - he doesn't have brothers being knights or soldiers or cowboys.

Of course, explaining this to my dh who has only spent about 1 out of the three years of ds's life at home is a little tricky. He feels like I'm being a "girly" influence. Probably true - I'm a girl.

At about that age one of my brothers had a baby doll from which he was inseparable, the other one proclaimed himself to be the "Princess Marigold" and wore a dress. Noone made a big deal about it, and they both outgrew it and are (reasonably :)) normal now.

I was just browsing that other thread when I searched for "boys and dolls".

My son just turned 6 and all he wants for Christmas is an American Girl Doll :eek: so he can brush her hair and put pony tails and hair clips in and change her dresses. :001_huh:

I found a few threads where people were saying this type of thing is normal - including wanting nail polish or to wear dresses or wanting to be a girl. (my ds doesn't want any of that but he really wants a girl doll and he loves painting dd's nails and putting make up on her)

It seems that young children don't really understand what it is that makes them boys or girls and they see something that girls do and they want to join in and they don't realize what it really means to become the opposite sex.

My hair stylist is married with kids. I think we worry about these things more when kids are young, exactly when we shouldn't. :0)

My DD wants to be a boy, and DS wants to copy everything Sissy does, including wearing Cinderella costumes and playing Barbies. :tongue_smilie:

Our son has said he wants to be a girl, a princess and a mommy when he grows up. He likes to wear our daughter's nightgowns to bed and enjoys playing dolls with her, too. And right now he's got green nail polish on his toes. He has two older sisters and spends the day with his mom, so there's quite a bit of female influence over the course of the day. :D

I don't worry too much about it. He enjoys playing with "boy toys" (as he calls them) and says he wants to be a superhero and a daddy when he grows up as often as he wants to be a princess. He's a little boy who likes playing with the same things his older siblings play with and he wants to do the same things they do. He's just as quick to play Star Wars and car games with his older male cousins.

Our son has said he wants to be a girl, a princess and a mommy when he grows up. He likes to wear our daughter's nightgowns to bed and enjoys playing dolls with her, too. And right now he's got green nail polish on his toes. He has two older sisters and spends the day with his mom, so there's quite a bit of female influence over the course of the day. :D

I don't worry too much about it. He enjoys playing with "boy toys" (as he calls them) and says he wants to be a superhero and a daddy when he grows up as often as he wants to be a princess. He's a little boy who likes playing with the same things his older siblings play with and he wants to do the same things they do. He's just as quick to play Star Wars and car games with his older male cousins.

How old is your son?

Totally normal. I think I was eight before I stopped wanting to be a boy. Knights and astronauts were all guys, so my intended lines of work seemed to require me to be a guy, too (although I would have been okay with being Princess Leia :001_smile:).

My ds plays with Barbies and takes dance classes; my dd loves football and plays with Vikings. I don't worry about any of it.

Totally normal. I think I was eight before I stopped wanting to be a boy. Knights and astronauts were all guys, so my intended lines of work seemed to require me to be a guy, too (although I would have been okay with being Princess Leia :001_smile:).

My ds plays with Barbies and takes dance classes; my dd loves football and plays with Vikings. I don't worry about any of it.

How old is your son?

(I'm only asking because it seems that younger boys, about 3 or 4, do these things so I'm wondering if older boys, age 6 and up, also do them.)