Menu

Anyone else suffer from 'Low Thyroid'?

About 18 months ago, I was diagnosed with 'Low Thyroid' function - they put me on medication (thyroxin), at 50mcg per day, which was later 'upped' to 100mcg per day.

The thing is - all the thing that supposedly this would 'fix' - lack of energy, slow metabolism, inability to lose weight, feeling cold all the time - well, I still have all of it! I improved for a time, but lately - it's shocking.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Have you found any solutions - anything that might be negating the medication?

I'm going back to see the doctor tomorrow, although I had blood tests done only a couple of weeks ago, which said my levels were fine, so I don't know.

Anyway, thought I'd ask, in case anyone has had a similar experience, and had found a solution - hoping to arm myself with a little info before seeing our poor, overworked doctor.

Thankyou!

Yes I have that problem. I started taking Iodine in the form of Iodoral after reading a great book by Dr. Brownstein http://www.amazon.com/Iodine-need-cant-live-without/dp/B001URN3UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244471163&sr=1-1 While it hasn't solved all my thyroid issues it is helping and I believe with enough work it will fix it. The number one thing it helped was that horrid bone-chilling cold. I can now miss a day of it but if I miss two days, it's back. I am still using natural stuff (mostly dietary intervention) to work on my thryoid but the iodoral is really important to me. I even took armour thyroid and cortisol trying to fix it (with doctors help) and it didn't touch it.

A friend of mine was also taking all the above listed items but it wasn't working for her. She went to an alternative doc and found out thru testing that her pituitary gland was not working well. She started taking meds for that and all of the sudden all that stuff she was taking for her thyroid started working.

The average test for thyroid function is really not that useful IMO. Two of my children show hypothyroid symptoms as well yet all three of us look (on paper) like we're fine. However we've all benefitted from treating our thryoid naturally. Sometimes you have to look beyond the test to the symptoms.

I have Hashimoto's...And though I'm FINALLY stabilized, I'm still doing poorly. I'm actually doing some tests this week to consider less common, medical treatments. If it were all about TSH though, I'd finally be doing okay (with a TSH of 0.384).

SOME people have some progress when switching to Armour. If you look online, it looks like that is THE treatment to have. However, my endocrinologist told me that it is great for some people but 50% do worse on it. She allows anyone to try it though :)

Have you had a baby in the past year?

I had post-partum thyroid issues. I was borderline low thyroid (starting around 3-4 months post-partum to 12 months post-partum). Since low thyroid or post-partum thyroid issues can take 12-18 months to resolve, my doctor and I decided to follow the "wait and see" approach. It did eventually resolve on its own.

To be honest, I think some of it never goes back to what it once was.

It seems like weight loss, metabolism, etc never go back to what they once were. Get better yes but not the same as before. I've been treated for around 12 years now and I'm still the first to get cold, still the first to be tired, etc.

I also think it can fluctuate throughout the month and as you change during the seasons. Not necessarily "on paper" but more in how I feel. I have no medical backup but just personal observation.

Many people need to take T3. It sounds like you are on a synthetic form of T4. You could also have an adrenal imbalance. You can get a lot of information at DrRind.com. You can also buy prescriptions for thyroid etc without a script at antiaging-systems.com (after you figure out what you need and dosages, etc.).

Yes I have that problem. I started taking Iodine in the form of Iodoral after reading a great book by Dr. Brownstein http://www.amazon.com/Iodine-need-cant-live-without/dp/B001URN3UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244471163&sr=1-1 While it hasn't solved all my thyroid issues it is helping and I believe with enough work it will fix it. The number one thing it helped was that horrid bone-chilling cold. I can now miss a day of it but if I miss two days, it's back. I am still using natural stuff (mostly dietary intervention) to work on my thryoid but the iodoral is really important to me. I even took armour thyroid and cortisol trying to fix it (with doctors help) and it didn't touch it.

A friend of mine was also taking all the above listed items but it wasn't working for her. She went to an alternative doc and found out thru testing that her pituitary gland was not working well. She started taking meds for that and all of the sudden all that stuff she was taking for her thyroid started working.

The average test for thyroid function is really not that useful IMO. Two of my children show hypothyroid symptoms as well yet all three of us look (on paper) like we're fine. However we've all benefitted from treating our thryoid naturally. Sometimes you have to look beyond the test to the symptoms.

:iagree:Good info here!

Two thoughts--

If your doctor only tests for TSH, ask for separate T3 and T4 tests as well. TSH doesn't always tell the whole story.

You can ask your doctor to treat according to symptoms more than according to the labwork. My symptoms seem to improve exactly when my TSH levels improve, but not everyone has that correlation. I know some folks who have to fine tune accrding to their symptoms more than their lab results, and sometimes you have to seek out a doctor willing to do that.