Menu

What do you do with Poetry?

So far, we've been using them strictly for Memory work. We aren't getting a lot of poems read this way, and I don't have a plan.

I want to change this, but I'm not sure what to do. Perhaps you can tell me what you do, and I can get some ideas.

Thanks.

We use poetry for memory work and just pleasure. I like to read a poem to them then ask them what they think it means, or what a certain sentence means to them. If its one they really like then they like to act it out. For ex., my dc love Mr. Nobody so they act every word out- it's really funny to watch. I know it's not real formal, but they enjoy poetry now. We also will draw a pic to go with a poem if it's a fun poem. On Fridays we do very light work so I will also make copies of a poem and have them circle verbs/ nouns or use it for copywork or dictation. I hope this helps you!

This is what I'm doing for my 3rd grader:

We choose an poet, and if I can find one, I get a library book (from the child bio section) about that poet. We sometimes come back to the same poets (like Robert Louis Stevenson) over and over, and later read longer biographies.

We choose a poem, and use it for memory work, copy work, handwriting practice (using StartWrite), and spelling. I just break it down into portions to be done each day, but every day we practice reciting our new section along with all of the old. Dd makes a little illustrated book of the poem, sometimes in a shape or something like that. Sometimes she makes up little motions to go with it and help her remember it. It's a hoot to watch! I wish she got into memorizing her Bible verses as much.

She usually writes her own poems, but I don't really assign much as far as that goes (she just does it). She likes to write stories, so I haven't pushed the writing poetry so much just yet. I'll probably get Evan-Moor's Poetry Patterns for next year.

We use The Harp & The Laurel Wreath some, but most of the poems are just found by starting with the poet, and I've found some great old poetry collections at the library. I think her all-time favorite was Walter de la Mare last year.

Thanks.

I've been wondering about just reading them poems, but wonder how to work it into our day.

Does one read work from ONE author everyday--twice a week? for a month, a term? what? --or do you mix it up and just have fun?

I had the kids act out a few in the beginning. That was fun! Thanks for reminding me.

If you want to give me your email address via private message, I would be happy to send you some resources for analyzing poetry with children. I have both some instructional notes as well as two lists of questions to guide analysis (one list is for younger children and one is for middle grades).

If you need something for high school I highly recommend Jill Baumgaertner's text, Poetry. It includes a wonderful, detailed, highly user-friendly instructional section on poetry analysis and writing a paper on poetry. The rest of the book is a very well-chosen anthology. It's pricey, but it is the best possible resource for a high schooler and will carry them through all four years (maybe a good resource for college too). I first used this book in a college-level course when I was an English major at university.