Menu

Newbie From NY

Hi, I'm Angela. Dh and I have 3 kids and we live in NYC. K is 15, J is 12, and W is 8. K is in 10th grade at a jounalism high school, J has been homeschooling since she was 8, and W has been homeschooling since Kindergarten. I'm so happy to see a wonderful forum like this! A little about each of us:

J will be in 8th grade in the fall and we plan on using Teaching Textbooks PreAlgebra, Writing Strands, Artistic Pursuits, and a bunch of classic literature. History and science is hands-on at the various and many museums, outside classes, and cultural areas she goes to. She's a competitive dancer and practices up to 16 hrs/week. She also is an assistant teacher there for 7 & 8yo tappers, ballerinas, and hip-hoppers. She's won many top awards for dance - she does about 6 regional competitions (all over NY, NJ, and CT) and 1 nationals (out of state) every year. She's also a regional-title winning singer as well (as of last month - Woot!). She is in her last year at Sunday Catholic catechism classes and will be making her Confirmation in November. She plans on auditioning for several performing arts high schools this winter.

W will be in 3rd grade in the fall. We'll be using Ambleside Online Year 2, (which incorporates reading, penmanship, language arts, writing, world history, american history, geography, science, & fine arts), nature study using the Outdoor Hour Challenges at handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com, Teaching Textbooks Math 3, social Spanish with LiveMocha (free online) along with other websites and books, Artistic Pursuits, and a couple of "The Complete Book of..."s for Grammar and Geography - maybe math too, if TT3 isn't out yet. He also enjoys lots of homeschool group trips, classes, and tours, and he loves visiting the many museums, gardens, zoos, and the science center in our area. He's a Tiger cub scout and takes musical theater class at J's studio. He loves basketball and tackle football (he was in both of those last year), but unfortunately those weren't workable this year. We'll see how it goes in the fall. He's also interested in taking some form of martial arts classes. He just made his First Holy Communion in May and will continue the Sunday religion classes throughout 3rd grade.

K, my oldest, will be in 11th grade (yikes!) in the fall. She homeschooled for 8th grade (to get away from a horrible middle school) but had every intention of starting fresh at high school the following fall. She got in without issue and likes it there. She's an amazing writer and this journalism high school was a perfect fit for her. She loves singing and playing guitar and is usually in the school talent shows. She also just got her first job - at a pizzeria - and is having a blast there (and I love all the free pizza!!).

I was a SAHM for 12 years and 3 years ago took a part-time job evenings and Saturday afternoons. It works great since I have all day to be with the kids. Dh is in the advertising field and does the regular 9-5 thing in Manhattan. He's also the lead singer in a rock band and they play all over lower Manhattan. It's just a hobby they've been doing together for over 20 years. We met doing community theater and have been married 16 years.