Menu

How To Teach Science Website

Is anyone familiar with the website http://www.howtoteachscience.com? One of the products the site author has is a periodic table for children, along with a booklet giving suggestions for using it. I am wondering whether this would be a resource I could use with my 3rd grader when my older kids are learning chemistry. She has her own science, but she just can't refrain from listening in on the other kids' work. On the one hand, I'm thankful for the love-of-learning attitude, but it sometimes makes for frustration that I wish I could avoid!

Thanks,

Shelly

I'm familiar with it. She has some really good information but it's poorly organized or was when I saw it (although her website still seems jumbled and annoying to navigate). A friend went to the length of reformatting all her emails so it was easier to read and use. I do know a fellow homeschool blogger and chemist found mistakes in her elements newsletter.

I wouldn't hesitate to sign up but I would keep in mind that you'll probably need to do a little work yourself. A better introduction would be Ellen McHenry's excellent The Elements: Ingrediants of the Universe.

Thank you for reminding me about Ellen McHenry's material. I had forgotten all about that! I really don't have the time to reformat things right now, especially with material that I just want to use really as a supplement.

I will look at Ellen McHenry's website again; I'll probably go with that.

Thanks so much!

Is anyone familiar with the website http://www.howtoteachscience.com? One of the products the site author has is a periodic table for children, along with a booklet giving suggestions for using it. I am wondering whether this would be a resource I could use with my 3rd grader when my older kids are learning chemistry. She has her own science, but she just can't refrain from listening in on the other kids' work. On the one hand, I'm thankful for the love-of-learning attitude, but it sometimes makes for frustration that I wish I could avoid!

Thanks,

Shelly

I think her e-mails are fine for teaching elementary. I'm not a chemist but I doubt elementary kids will have an issue. Getting kids into the elements seems like a great prep for later study.

The big periodic table she sells would add a lot, I think, to building the concept in a kid's mind. I really considered it for my 7th grader this year, but decided it was more for youngers.