Menu

Eating with goal of maximum nutritional benefit, understanding vitamins, minerals,

There is so much info. and so much of the info. is contradictory! This is a constant struggle for me, too.

I just know what my favorites are because they make sense to me:

Healthy Cooking for Kids by Shelly Null

Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

8 Weeks to Optimum Health by Andrew Weill

Also I have a list on my fridge of the Dirty Dozen (top 12 foods that you should buy organic if you can). I buy organic milk and eggs and try to buy as much organic produce as I can afford. I give my kids a multi-vitamin and cover them in prayer.

That's about the best I can do with the information (and money) I have been given.

HTH

Claire

A bout of gestational diabetes sent me exploring raw foodiness. Some of the raw foodie stuff sounded good, some sounded ridiculous (juice fasts are not for me) because it really didn't add up with what I knew a gestational diabetic body needed. That led me to 'The China Study' which has led me to more research on veganism. These boards here suggested 'Nourishing Traditions' and while I've discounted most of what she says about animal products, I've taken the beverages and lacto-fermented sections to heart. We are not vegan, we're mostly vegan. We are treating animal products as junk food; things we know aren't really good for us, but we're going to have anyway if we really want to. There is, of course, the B12 issue and I'd rather not take supplements. There is some B12 in plant sources, but one can only eat so much seaweed, right? So I'm thinking the whey based drinks and condiments from 'Nourishing Traditions' might be the best way of getting small, but regular doses of B12. Then there's the wholefoods/ organic business, which we try to do as well.

That's been my journey, thus far :)

Rosie

I have been on this bandwagon for nearly 30 years now as I developed an interest in nutrition in my teens. I really empathise with peoples' confusion as there is SO much conflicting information out there.

I like to look at what traditional societies have eaten, because apart from in times of famine etc, many were well nourished. We can think scientifically all we like, but the human race made it this far somehow, and overall we are not, healthwise, doing so well.

I dont believe scientifically sound diets any more because while science has its merits, it just doesn't know sooooo much, and it tends to discount anything it cant prove yet. Wheras generation upon generation of people in particular areas learned what worked and what didn't.

So I like the Nourishing Traditions approach- but I am not religious about it. I just prefer the tried and tested traditional approach to nutrition, than the newfangled so called scientific approach which ends up with every diet conflicting with the last.

But, I suggest you read widely and don't get "religious" about any diet approach. Everything sounds so good and probably and wise until you move on and read the next book and it conflicts and then that seems sensible. I just try and keep an open mind and get in tune with my own body and find what works for me.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I totally agree! Great book.

Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

His definition of food: What your great or great, great grandmother could have eaten.

When you purchase things to eat, if they have:

1. More than 5 ingredients

2. Ingredients you can not pronounce

3. Ingredients that are unfamiliar

4. High Fructose Corn Syrup

Then it is probably not food.

If you eat real food you don't have to worry so much about nutrition.

On the practical side, I would say make sure you eat your greens every day. Kale, collards, spinach, swiss chard, cabbage, broccoli, etc.

I really enjoyed the "You" books by Mehmet Oz and Michael Roizen. They just made sense to me. They explain so well how your body works and mostly use a common sense approach to keeping healthy. Start with You, An Owner's Manual and see what you think. I've also read You on a Diet and You Staying Young. I just noticed there is now a You on a Walk and I'm going to try to get that today!