Menu

Anyone have cavity-prone kids? What have you done to help it?

Ds6 has had one or two small cavities almost every time we've gone to the dentist! I can't figure out why this is happening- we eat an all organic diet, no processed foods/colorings/preservatives/white products (sugar, flour, etc.) They only drink OJ for breakfast-no other even fruit juices! He does have very tight teeth, so that's a lot of it. My dd9 has never had a cavity.

I'd love to hear what others have successfully done to try to help prevent cavities. I'm starting to be very diligent with flossing him twice a day and the dentist prescribed a 1.1% fluoride toothpaste to see if that would help. (Absolutely no flames about fluoride please-I've read extensively on both sides of this and made my decision. We have nonfluoridated water.) Thanks!

You probably know this already, but one of the things we've done is to make sure that there's no drinking of anything but water after dinner is over. Ours were having milk before bed, not in bed but before bed, and the dribbles were sitting in their mouths all night. Acid is very bad for teeth, so our older ones don't drink those sports drinks. Two of our children have the kind of teeth where I will see a tiny pinprick of a hole and take them dutifully to the dentist -- only to have the dentist discover that the cavity has been decimating the tooth behind the pinprick. If we'd gotten there just a little later than we did, we wouldn't be doing a cavity, we'd be doing a root canal. We've had two of these close calls.

Hope you get more answers from others on this board!

Sandy

I've come to the conclusion that you either have good teeth, or bad...... heck, my dentist told my KIDS (his were all under 4 at the time) that they could not brush their teeth for years and not get a cavity. They have good teeth.

But hopefully someone might have something that works.

Like it or not, some people are more prone. I'm one of them and it seems my daughter takes after me. Actually, my baby teeth had such low levels of enamel that they were translucent instead of white. I had to have all my baby teeth capped.

I still have low levels of enamel on my adult teeth but they are not capped. I just get lots of cavities.

My daughter is prone to getting cavities between her teeth. At her first check up the dentist came in and said that there was only one way a child gets cavities like that--pop. Only she had NEVER had a pop--only milk and water.

Ask about flouride treatments. They help some. Also make sure you get your child a flouride based mouthwash as well.

My dd has very tight teeth and is waiting for her mouth to be big enough for an expander, and she inherited my weak teeth. We have started having the kids floss with fluoride flossers and use a fluoride rinse daily. That has stemmed the tide of cavities. Also make sure to get those molars sealed when they come in and keep the sealants replaced as needed.

Karen in CO-is that your 4yo that's waiting for mouth to grow for expander? Have they given you an age for that? The ortho my dentist recommends doesn't usually see them before age 8 1/2, but the dentist says my ds should go in this summer for a consult because they may want to do him now. I hadn't thought of the flouride flossers-those would be good but he needs the flossers for tight teeth and I don't think they make those in a fluoride version but I will check-good idea!

I'm wondering if a flouride rinse would be too much with the high level fluoride toothpaste. But it is $12 for a smallish tube of the toothpaste, so after this tube is gone I think I'll try the rinse instead and see if that works-if so, it would really save some money!

As I stated above the Xylitol works well. My oldest daughter was cavity prone, then started chewing gum with xylitol. We have not had cavities in 7 or 8 years. We recently moved and began seeing a new dentist, who is the president of our states dental association, he actually recommended it also without knowing we used it.

As far as the flouride, rinse may work well and be great, but as far as giving flouride pills, I would check out the info about other health issues associated with too much flouride in the body. You can google it and find out lots of negative side effects of flouride.

Homeschooling SLP

Yep, one of mine got the bad teeth gene. She is now 14. She has at least one cavity every visit to the dentist. She goes every six months without fail. She uses fluoride toothpaste. She uses fluoride rinse. We have fluoridated water. Heck, she even chews gum regularly that has xylitol (though I have never heard that one, the gum itself is supposed to help keep the teeth clean). She brushes her teeth almost every time she eats, at least 3 times a day usually more. She has porous teeth. There really isn't anything she can do about it.

On the other end, you have my eldest. She rarely brushes. I know she has gone a week or two without before. She is 16. Never had a single cavity. Not the most remote sighting of a possibility of one. She has even been to the dentist before and had them not clean her teeth because they are so clean. Her enamel is as hard as a diamond, and it seems that nothing really sticks to it either. Lucky girl. If she had her sister's teeth, she probably wouldn't have any left. (Didn't need braces either.)

This is a very interesting website. I found it through a book by Sally Fallon called Nourishing Traditions. The book was recommended by a website called the Bulk Herb Store.

Anyway, Price did research with cultures that had low infertility rates, long life spans and great teeth despite having no or little access to modern dentistry.

He found some things in common with these groups of people. I wish I could explain it all and do it justice, but I can't. Suffice to say that he found connections to problems with our modern diet. It's a bit beyond just switching to wheat bread.

The book is part research and part recipes implementing some of the traditional ways. Hence the name Nourishing Traditions. It's hard to go against our culture's way of doing things, and we can't get overly hung up on it. However, it is worth it if it solves a family problem or makes your body feel better. Check it out! It was an education for me!

One additional note: the book is detailed, but the website has individual articles to read and much more. Also, you could just ignore her personal religious and political philosophy that shows up every once in a while (some of the political is ligit.). It doesn't affect the research one bit.

Hope this helps!

Karen in CO-is that your 4yo that's waiting for mouth to grow for expander? Have they given you an age for that? The ortho my dentist recommends doesn't usually see them before age 8 1/2, but the dentist says my ds should go in this summer for a consult because they may want to do him now. I hadn't thought of the flouride flossers-those would be good but he needs the flossers for tight teeth and I don't think they make those in a fluoride version but I will check-good idea!

I'm wondering if a flouride rinse would be too much with the high level fluoride toothpaste. But it is $12 for a smallish tube of the toothpaste, so after this tube is gone I think I'll try the rinse instead and see if that works-if so, it would really save some money!

Its my 8 yo. who is waiting and has been since she was little. When we went to our first dentist visit at two the dentist said "What beautiful teeth. and so close together" I heard the faint sounds of money running out of my pocket for years to come.

Our Orthodontist and our pediatrician both recommended that we wait until the canine teeth have come in, and they are getting there. I need to make another consult appointment for later this summer. Maybe it will be time finally.

We have to work to get the flossers in there, but they work so much better than the floss with kids. It also gets easier with practice and time. I don't use the extra-floride toothpaste, so maybe ask the dentist. I don't know what the limit is, but with the rinse, I think it gets in there better. We use that same Smart Rinse that someone else suggested, the kids like the taste so its easier to get them to use it.

My dentist advised me against chewing immediately after a meal. He suggested chewing gum such as with xylitol immediately after, and brushing like 40 min later.

It is really frustrating, and I feel for you. Hoping to get some good ideas.

Thanks for the great suggestions-I plan to try the xylitol gum, and also the fluoride rinse (Smart Rinse) when this pricey toothpaste wears out-it makes sense that the rinse would get in there better!

Karen-thanks for the info-I may start a spinoff thread on ages for expanders because I'm interested. I'd like to wait awhile if I can, but I don't want to wait too late and I'm really not sure what the "ideal" age is for expanders. The reason I want to wait is they said dd may need one too, and I waited, and her teeth have come in beautifully so far. I KNOW ds will need one, but I hope to wait awhile if possible since he's so young. Good idea to ck with my pediatrician too for an unbiased opinion!

rjperez-I own and love Nourishing Traditions! I have actually even read Weston A. Price's research, and we follow many of the NT recommendations, such as raw milk, coconut oil, fermented foods, etc. Great book-thanks!

I looked at the SmartRinse and it has coloring in it, which we try to avoid (I know they don't swallow it, but still...). Also, the ACT fluoride rinse has double the amt of fluoride, which is good, but still has coloring.

In case anyone following this thread is interested, I found this one, with no artificial coloring or sweeteners, AND it has the same amount of fluoride as ACT. It's a little pricey, but if you're trying to avoid coloring, it may be worth it:

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp181539_333181_sespider/the_natural_dentist/healthyteeth_anti_cavity_fluoride_rinse_fresh_mint_16_fl_oz.htm

DD had a ton of cavities last time she went. After a little research, we're giving her suppliments (CLO, calcium, probiotics) and having her brush with a health food store toothpaste called Jason Nutrismile that has calcium and vitamin c in it. She also rinses with a mouthwash for drymouth called Biotene which I read was good for building up teeth. Oh, and we got a shower pick. Ithelps get between the teeth much better than floss.

My daughter had cavities in almost every tooth. They must have all had a cavitity or were touching a cavity. We had to have one pulled, and a spacer put in. Then we took weekly trips for quite a while. It was because her teeth were too close together, and we were not flossing regular. We now floss, more than once a day and no more cavities. They now have a sealant but I don't know much about it. It is some type of cover for the teeth.

Once a dental student found 11 cavities in my 7 year old's mouth! She loved juice.

Now we eat fresh fruit, drink water or milk, period. She's not had a cavity in years and is totally off sweets. However, I do hear do not brush at least 30 min after eating sweets. And floss daily!

I have six children. One has no cavities, most have a couple and one just has horrible teeth. She is nine and just got out of her first set of expander/retainer/braces. She went to the dentist every six weeks for two years and she still managed to get cavities on just about every tooth. Most of her baby teeth are capped. Luckily only one permanant tooth has suffered. She eats the same diet as the rest and has the same dental hygine. She just has rotten teeth. She couldn't chew gum either because of the ortho work and nothing that we have tried has made any difference. It is frustrating especially considering the many thousands that I have sunk into her mouth already.

I would say ACT is the best OTC fluoride you can get. Only allow rinsing when you know your kids can spit well. My son had incomplete fissure closing in his baby molars which led to fillings and eventually an extraction. He has been rinsing since he was about 6.

Also, I would really recommend that you brush your kids' teeth at least once a day. Really, kids do not develop the necessary dexterity to brush effectively until they are older than you may think. One dentist I worked for(I am a hygienist) said to not give kids the burden of their oral hygiene until you are ready to hand them a steak knife unsupervised. I (or my husband) brush after our daughters are done at night. They are 4 and 7.

Our son(21 months) has 2 cavities already:ohmy: I knew right away as they were erupting that it was going to be bad. We have a pediatric dentist that I am taking him to-he has an appointment tomorrow-who is helping me get this guy to age 3 before he gets the dental work he needs. I DO NOT want to do a hospital intubation!! So, this conservative dr. put him on a fluoride gel that we dab on with a Qtip every night. With that and a lot of prayer, we will try to hold off for an office procedure.

All that said, in my experience, I believe genetics play a big role, but so does hygiene.

Oh! Be gentle about the xylitol gum(or any gum!) Excessive chewing can cause jaw pain and joint inflammation.

Also, I would really recommend that you brush your kids' teeth at least once a day. Really, kids do not develop the necessary dexterity to brush effectively until they are older than you may think. One dentist I worked for(I am a hygienist) said to not give kids the burden of their oral hygiene until you are ready to hand them a steak knife unsupervised. I (or my husband) brush after our daughters are done at night. They are 4 and 7.

:iagree: I want to make sure my dd's teeth are very clean. Even if I let her clean them, I go behind her and do it myself.

You all have recommended a lot of good things in this thread. I'm bookmarking it. Thanks to you all, and the OP for asking the question.

I was shocked when ds13 needed three fillings last year, two deep ones. This year, I told him he would be paying for any fillings, because he does eat too much sugar now that he is old enough and has access to buying junk food. He has brushed his teeth very diligantly for the last year, as has dd15 who also needed a filling last year- and neither needed any this year.

The motivation of having to pay for their own fillings was enough to get them to diligently clean and floss their teeth- they are more diligent than I am.

That may not help you, if your kids dont eat any junk food, but it has convinced me of the benefits of brushing and flossing in a dedicated fashion, for kids who do eat junk.

I have one cavity-prone child, whose dietary and lifestyle habits are otherwise identical to the non-cavity prone siblings. We don't supplement or brush with flouride products, but we make sure to include foods into the daily diet that are higher in flouride content.

I've been very happy with the Spry brand of toothpastes, which have xylitol (recommended by others in this thread). I also have replaced all white sugar with xylitol in the little bit of baking that we do. It's pricier, but negligible for us because we don't normally use a lot of sugar any how.

There is a Spry toothpaste for all age groups; they even make a toddler-aged gel in an easy squeeze container. I'm able to find it at my local health food store, plus my major national chain grocery store will special order it for me (if I plan well enough ahead). My brushing-resistant toddler LOVES the Spry brand, and was caught sucking on the toothpaste bottle a few days after we started using it. We have to hide it, but she now REMINDS us to brush her teeth after every meal, which is a huge load off in and of itself! I'm pleased that the kids' Spry isn't sugary-sweet artificially-flavored stuff.

If we're out and about, and without toothpaste, I usually let the kids have a small bit of apple or hard cheese. We're lactose-intolerant and significantly limit our dairy, but if I know we'll be out I will keep a small lunchbag with apples and a few cubes of hard cheese - these do a 'decent enough' job of cleaning the teeth until we can get home to brush.

But definitely, definitely look into the xylitol and into the mineral-balancing aspects of your child's dental health :)